    I can play video files off the net with both Kaffeine and SMplayer.
    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Oct 17, 2008

  2. In message <gd8t49$9rl$>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > The damn thing will play commercial videos but will not play
    > any downloaded video.

    Do you get any error message? Any indication of what the difference might
    be, in codecs or file formats, between the files that play and the ones
    that don't?

    > Have reinstalled it about four time using both Apt and Smart.

    Package installs don't tend to go wrong in Linux. If it didn't work the
    first time, a reinstall is unlikely to help.

    > I can play video files off the net with both Kaffeine and SMplayer.

    SMPlayer is a GUI front-end to MPlayer, and therefore uses MPlayer's codecs.
    I'm pretty sure Kaffeine is a GUI front-end of some kind too.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 17, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Do you get any error message? Any indication of what the difference might
    > be, in codecs or file formats, between the files that play and the ones
    > that don't?

    On a lot of the video files that I have downloaded it states that
    the video file is broken.
    But they will play in both Kaffeine and Smplayer.
    Or I do get audio only on downloaded video files

    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Oct 17, 2008
  4. In message <gd9aag$n1f$>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > On a lot of the video files that I have downloaded it states that
    > the video file is broken.
    > But they will play in both Kaffeine and Smplayer.
    > Or I do get audio only on downloaded video files

    It could very well be that the file is broken. Some players are more
    tolerant of that than others.

    Are these files available for download anywhere? I could take a look and see
    what my favourite media-munging tool--FFmpeg--says.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 17, 2008
  5. Hi there,

    grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Do you get any error message? Any indication of what the difference might
    >> be, in codecs or file formats, between the files that play and the ones
    >> that don't?

    > On a lot of the video files that I have downloaded it states that
    > the video file is broken.
    > But they will play in both Kaffeine and Smplayer.
    > Or I do get audio only on downloaded video files

    It sounds like vlc is not finding/using the w32-codecs. Those
    codecs are required for the likes of mplayer and xine to decode
    certain proprietary video formats.

    Have a trawl thru the setup for vlc, and if there is an option to
    locate the codecs folder it may just be that vlc is looking in the
    wrong place...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 17, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Are these files available for download anywhere? I could take a look and
    > see what my favourite media-munging tool--FFmpeg--says.

    They are the Xvid files that will not play in VLC, starting to get
    error messages saying that the Xvid format is not recognised.
    Which is head scratching because they play well in Xine and Mplayer
    I grabbed a VLC -vvv copy off the terminal.
    Wish I was a command line wizz :)

    muzz@localhost ~]$ vlc -vvv
    VLC media player 0.8.6e Janus
    [00000001] main private debug: checking builtin modules
    [00000001] main private debug: checking plugin modules
    [00000001] main private debug: loading plugins cache
    file /home/muzz/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
    [00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `modules'
    [00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `/usr/lib/vlc'
    [00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `plugins'
    [00000001] main private debug: module bank initialized, found 228 modules
    [00000001] main private debug: opening config file /home/muzz/.vlc/vlcrc
    [00000001] main private debug: CPU has capabilities 486 586 MMX 3DNow!
    MMXEXT SSE FPU
    [00000001] main private debug: looking for memcpy module: 4 candidates
    [00000001] main private debug: using memcpy module "memcpymmxext"
    [00000291] main playlist debug: waiting for thread completion
    [00000291] main playlist debug: thread 3078912928 (playlist) created at
    priority 0 (playlist/playlist.c:184)
    [00000292] main private debug: waiting for thread completion
    [00000292] main private debug: thread 3070520224 (preparser) created at
    priority 0 (playlist/playlist.c:210)
    [00000293] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
    [00000293] main interface debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
    [00000293] main interface debug: thread 3062127520 (interface) created at
    priority 0 (interface/interface.c:231)
    [00000295] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
    [00000295] main interface debug: using interface module "screensaver"
    [00000295] main interface debug: thread 3053734816 (interface) created at
    priority 0 (interface/interface.c:231)
    [00000297] main interface debug: looking for interface module: 4 candidates
    [00000297] main interface debug: using interface module "wxwidgets"
    [00000297] main interface debug: thread 3024161696 (manager) created at
    priority 0 (interface/interface.c:216)
    /home/muzz/.gtkrc-2.0:56: Clearlooks configuration option "menuitemstyle" is
    not supported and will be ignored.
    /home/muzz/.gtkrc-2.0:57: Clearlooks configuration
    option "listviewitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
    /home/muzz/.gtkrc-2.0:58: Clearlooks configuration option "progressbarstyle"
    is not supported and will be ignored.
    /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:42: Invalid symbolic
    color 'fg_color'
    /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:42: error: invalid identifier
    `fg_color', expected valid identifier
    [00000297] wxwidgets interface debug: Using last windows
    config '(-1,0,0,1024,768)(0,0,0,485,120)(6,0,0,-1,150)'
    [00000297] wxwidgets interface debug: id=0 p=(0,0) s=(485,120)
    [00000297] wxwidgets interface debug: id=6 p=(0,0) s=(-1,150)
    [00000001] main private debug: removing all interfaces
    [00000297] main interface debug: thread 3024161696 joined
    (interface/interface.c:258)
    [00000297] main interface debug: removing module "wxwidgets"
    [00000295] main interface debug: thread 3053734816 joined
    (interface/interface.c:258)
    [00000295] main interface debug: removing module "screensaver"
    [00000293] main interface debug: thread 3062127520 joined
    (interface/interface.c:258)
    [00000293] main interface debug: removing module "hotkeys"
    [00000001] main private debug: removing playlist handler
    [00000292] main private debug: thread 3070520224 joined
    (playlist/playlist.c:247)
    [00000291] main playlist debug: thread 3078912928 joined
    (playlist/playlist.c:248)
    [00000001] main private debug: removing all video outputs
    [00000001] main private debug: removing all audio outputs
    [00000001] main private debug: removing module "memcpymmxext"
    [00000001] main private debug: opening config file /home/muzz/.vlc/vlcrc
    [00000001] main private debug: saving plugins cache
    file /home/muzz/.vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
    [muzz@localhost ~]$

    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Oct 18, 2008
  7. In message <gdbjgq$5h9$>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Wish I was a command line wizz :)

    That's OK, it takes a few years of practice :).

    A thought: are you installing the prebuilt VLC package that came with
    PCLinuxOS? That could have dropped a few codecs because of patent
    restrictions. (Though presumably if you installed Xine and MPlayer the same
    way, they should have the same restrictions as well.) Have you tried
    downloading and building VLC from source? Shouldn't really be that hard to
    do.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2008
  8. In message <gdbjgq$5h9$>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > muzz@localhost ~]$ vlc -vvv

    Just a thought, "vlc -l" is supposed to list available modules. Try this

    vlc -l | grep video

    to narrow the listing down to video-related modules. On my system, it
    doesn't list any specific entries for XviD or DivX, but it does
    include "avcodec" for "FFmpeg audio/video decoder", which means it's using
    all the codecs available in my FFmpeg installation.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > vlc -l | grep video

    Got this result Lawrence.
    muzz@localhost ~]$ vlc -l | grep video
    VLC media player 0.8.6e Janus
    theora Theora video decoder
    theora Theora video packetizer
    theora Theora video encoder
    dummy Dummy video output function
    cinepak Cinepak video decoder
    fake Fake video decoder
    sdl_image SDL_image video decoder
    libmpeg2 MPEG I/II video decoder (using libmpeg2)
    rawvideo Pseudo raw video decoder
    rawvideo Pseudo raw video packetizer
    png PNG video decoder
    mpgv MPEG-I/II video demuxer
    h264 H264 video demuxer
    m4v MPEG-4 video demuxer
    ty TY Stream audio/video demux
    logo Logo video filter
    clone Clone video filter
    crop Crop video filter
    motiondetect Motion detect video filter
    deinterlace Deinterlacing video filter
    deinterlace Deinterlacing video filter
    distort Distort video filter
    invert Invert video filter
    mosaic Mosaic video sub filter
    wall Wall video filter
    magnify Magnify/Zoom interactive video filter
    vout_sdl Simple DirectMedia Layer video output
    x11 X11 video output
    xvideo XVideo extension video output
    ggi General Graphics Interface video output
    aa ASCII-art video output
    opengl OpenGL video output
    fb GNU/Linux console framebuffer video output
    image Image video output
    packetizer_mpeg4video MPEG4 video packetizer
    packetizer_h264 H.264 video packetizer
    packetizer_mpegvideo MPEG-I/II video packetizer
    [muzz@localhost ~]$

    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Oct 19, 2008
  10. In message <gdej34$e5f$>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> vlc -l | grep video

    > Got this result Lawrence.
    > muzz@localhost ~]$ vlc -l | grep video
    > [...]

    Yeah, nothing there that I can see to do with divx or xvid.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2008
  11. Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Is your system up to date grumpy ?

    Yep bought it up to date last night.
    Sadly Synaptic did not update VLC
    So it looks like a build from source.
    Ignore any screaming and ranting you hear from the
    deep south :)
    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Oct 19, 2008