    visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    Any sensible answers gratefully accepted.
    Gorilla Angel
    Gorilla Angels, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Gorilla Angels

    AD Guest

    "Gorilla Angels" <> wrote in message
    news:xhAgf.223$...
    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have told me
    > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I dont
    > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    > Any sensible answers gratefully accepted.
    > Gorilla Angel

    Just ignore it, do not answer any question.... it's a con.
    You can always call the CIA and ask them if it is their policy to send email
    such as the one you received.
    Phone : (703) 482-0623
    7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., US Eastern time
    AD, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Gorilla Angels

    Mitch Guest

    In article <xhAgf.223$>, Gorilla Angels
    <> wrote:

    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have told me
    > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I dont
    > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?

    Did it have ANY HTML in it? Formatted text, images, colors?
    If it did, then you might already have helped them out when your mail
    program loaded the contents. So it's too late in that case.

    Did it do anything to explain why they had your address? If it didn't,
    or if the explanation didn't make a lot of sense, then it's clearly not
    valid. The CIA would need to explain both how they got your address (to
    establish validity of contacting you) and what their interest is or
    what is going on (to establish why they need to contact you).

    As far as not visiting illegal Web sites, until you know what law they
    are talking about it's hardly known what you might have done. A Web
    site itself can't be illegal, so there would have to be more to know
    there, too.
    Mitch, Nov 22, 2005
  4. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:03:41 GMT, "Gorilla Angels"
    <> wrote:

    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have told me
    >to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I dont
    >visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    >Any sensible answers gratefully accepted.

    It sounds like a variation of the FBI hoax e-mail that has been doing
    the rounds.

    http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel05/emailscheme112105.htm
    Shane Matthews, Nov 22, 2005
  5. "Gorilla Angels" <> wrote in message
    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have
    > told me
    > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I
    > dont
    > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    > Any sensible answers gratefully accepted

    Check this.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SOBER.AG
    West Stand Bowler, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Gorilla Angels quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have told me
    > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I dont
    > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    > Any sensible answers gratefully accepted.
    > Gorilla Angel

    Have you seen any black helicopters hanging around?

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-
    The Old Sourdough, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Gorilla Angels

    Tony Guest

    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have told me
    > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I dont
    > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    > Any sensible answers gratefully accepted.
    > Gorilla Angel

    I got the same email but the zip file attached contains a virus:

    <Quote>

    Viruses found in the attached files.
    The file question_list7.zip: Virus identified I-Worm/Sober

    <Unquote>

    If you opened it you should run a virus check if your antivirus software
    didn't pick it up.
    Tony, Nov 22, 2005
  8. Gorilla Angels

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-22, Gorilla Angels <> wrote:
    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have told me
    > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I dont
    > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    > Any sensible answers gratefully accepted.
    > Gorilla Angel

    It could be "phishing" for personal information that could be used by
    whoever sent the message to impersonate you somehow, or get access to your
    credit-card account, or something. So do not answer the e-mail.

    There may well be a 'virus' or 'trojan' or 'spyware' or some other nasty
    associated with the e-mail. Make sure that your 'anti-virus' and 'spyware
    remover' utilities are up to date and working, and make sure that your
    'firewall' is set correctly to prevent any unauthorised programs on your
    computer from accessing the internet (The so-called firewall included in
    Windows XP does not do that; get a third-party one).

    Why would the CIA write to you? You don't seem to be in the USA so they
    have no jurisdiction over you or your activities.

    How does a website become 'illegal' anyway? Whose law would apply?

    Whoever did send you the e-mail, you can be pretty sure the CIA have
    nothing at all to do with it.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Gorilla Angels

    John Lord Guest

    i've had the same email today, and one from the "fbi" too! lucky avg did
    it's work!!

    "Viruses found in the attached files.
    The file list.zip: Virus identified I-Worm/Sober.CF. The attachment was
    moved to the virus vault"

    if your's didn't, then you should update your definitions and do a full scan
    asap. Also checker your email scanner is working, to ensure they are stop
    in their tracks in the future.

    John

    John Lord, Nov 22, 2005
  10. Gorilla Angels

    Trax Guest

    This e-mail just hit http://drudgereport.com/
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/22/051122190700.fgwrvypu.html
    (http://tinyurl.com/caqlw)

    --
    Redneck Roller Coaster
    Trax, Nov 22, 2005
  11. Hi guys
    No it was the worm sober-z virus. Plus it sent out god knows how many emails
    of different variants. Still think i have some sort of dialler virus as I
    keep starting windows and it instantly connects. Nothing much coming in or
    going out though. Any ideas on how to detect a dialler and destroy it? Do
    not open any mail with the extension .gov they are the worms with bad things
    attached.
    Sorry to be such an idiot. Still don't think my system is back to order yet
    but pandas online activescan detected 11 viruses, worms, and spy ware.
    Gorilla Angel

    "West Stand Bowler" <> wrote in message

    > "Gorilla Angels" <> wrote in message
    > > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have
    > > told me
    > > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I
    > > dont
    > > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    > > Any sensible answers gratefully accepted

    > Check this.

    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SOBER
    %2EAG

    Gorilla Angels, Nov 23, 2005
  12. so im an idiot whets new?
    Gorilla Angels

    Gorilla Angels, Nov 23, 2005
  13. Howdy!

    > i have recieved an email apparently from the CIA in USA. They have told me
    > to answer some questions about illegal web sites i have visited. I dont
    > visit illegal web sites so is this just spam or a virus?
    > Any sensible answers gratefully accepted.
    > Gorilla Angel

    It's a new variant on the SOBER virus. See
    http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1839091,00.html
    for one news report on it.

    If your client chops the link up, you can use this one:
    http://snipurl.com/k6pw

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 24, 2005