Who do the manufacturers think they are kidding?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Richard, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    copies of old home videos."

    The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    who download the music.
    -Rich
     
    Richard, Dec 9, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Richard

    JWB Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    > copies of old home videos."
    >
    > The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    > It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    > aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    > I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    > the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    > who download the music.
    > -Rich


    How much pirating is really going to go on? Take "Pirates of the Caribbean".
    It was around 15 bucks in most places release week. It's two discs. Why
    would I rent it, buy blanks, and spend the time recording it - all to save
    what amounts to under 10 bucks?

    Sure some will do it, but if they're that desperate, it's doubtful they were
    a paying customer anyway.

    DVD seems to have learned from the music industry's mistake - don't price
    gouge.

    I'm convinced if CD's were 10 bucks on average, there isn't a huge pirating
    problem like there is now. It seems to me most folks consider DVD's a good
    value.

    JWB
     
    JWB, Dec 10, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Richard

    pc user Guest

    On 2003-12-10, JWB <> wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    >> copies of old home videos."
    >>
    >> The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    >> It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    >> aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    >> I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    >> the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    >> who download the music.
    >> -Rich

    >
    > How much pirating is really going to go on? Take "Pirates of the Caribbean".
    > It was around 15 bucks in most places release week. It's two discs. Why
    > would I rent it, buy blanks, and spend the time recording it - all to save
    > what amounts to under 10 bucks?
    >
    > Sure some will do it, but if they're that desperate, it's doubtful they were
    > a paying customer anyway.
    >
    > DVD seems to have learned from the music industry's mistake - don't price
    > gouge.
    >
    > I'm convinced if CD's were 10 bucks on average, there isn't a huge pirating
    > problem like there is now. It seems to me most folks consider DVD's a good
    > value.
    >
    > JWB
    >

    Or just as good...I bought, for $14.95, a CD by Keiko Matsui performing
    in Tokyo AND it also had a DVD of the performance included in the jewel box.
    It is a very good marketing concept....
     
    pc user, Dec 10, 2003
    #3
  4. Richard

    Justin Guest

    Richard wrote on [9 Dec 2003 14:47:12 -0800]:
    > Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    > copies of old home videos."
    >
    > The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    > It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    > aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    > I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    > the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    > who download the music.


    The vast majority of what I listen to on my MP3 player is content I
    ripped myself from my own CDs
     
    Justin, Dec 10, 2003
    #4
  5. Richard

    Nikoli Yetti Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message
    news:tGuBb.193878$...
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    > > copies of old home videos."
    > >
    > > The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    > > It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    > > aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    > > I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    > > the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    > > who download the music.
    > > -Rich

    >
    > How much pirating is really going to go on? Take "Pirates of the

    Caribbean".
    > It was around 15 bucks in most places release week. It's two discs. Why
    > would I rent it, buy blanks, and spend the time recording it - all to save
    > what amounts to under 10 bucks?
    >
    > Sure some will do it, but if they're that desperate, it's doubtful they

    were
    > a paying customer anyway.
    >
    > DVD seems to have learned from the music industry's mistake - don't price
    > gouge.
    >
    > I'm convinced if CD's were 10 bucks on average, there isn't a huge

    pirating
    > problem like there is now. It seems to me most folks consider DVD's a good
    > value.
    >
    > JWB
    >


    I agree with this post.
     
    Nikoli Yetti, Dec 10, 2003
    #5
  6. in article , Richard at
    wrote on 12/9/03 2:47 PM:

    > Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    > copies of old home videos."
    >
    > The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.


    No it's not. I bet very few people are actually doing this. Perhaps this
    is pretty popular and widespread with DVD drives for computers, but stand
    alone recorders kinda suck for trying to copy commercial DVDs.

    With stand alone DVD recorders:
    You can't duplicate the DVD itself, you can only record the video. This
    means no menus or any of the special features, unless you do hatchet jobs
    with them.

    You can't do a bit perfect copy of the DVD video. You have to record the
    analog video out. Furthermore, you have to strip the Macrovision. So this
    means you need a second DVD player with Macrovision disabled or a separate
    Macrovision remover / TBC.

    Of course you'll also be recompressing the video and perhaps taking a video
    that was on more than one layer and compressing it down to single layer or
    burning it on two disks (a problem for those long movies).

    My guess is that they are mostly used as intended...people wanting to record
    VHS tapes to what they *think* is a "perfect and permanent format", people
    who want to archive TV shows and movies from their Tivo or the built in DVR
    on the DVD recorder.

    DVD computer drives are another story. Copying commercial DVDs with high
    quality results is really easy and fairly fast. Single layered DVDs can
    currently be copied bit perfectly with the encryption, Macrovision and
    region coding removed with just a few clicks. Double-layer drives and media
    are coming soon and then it will be even that much easier to bit perfect
    copy any DVD.

    Within 2 years you'll be able to make a bit perfect copy of a commercial
    dual layer DVD in less than 10 minutes for under $1 on a computer costing
    less than $1,000.
     
    MR_ED_of_Course, Dec 10, 2003
    #6
  7. Richard

    Rutgar Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:30:01 GMT, "JWB" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >DVD seems to have learned from the music industry's mistake - don't price
    >gouge.
    >
    >I'm convinced if CD's were 10 bucks on average, there isn't a huge pirating
    >problem like there is now. It seems to me most folks consider DVD's a good
    >value.
    >
    >JWB
    >


    I agree. However, I think you're still too high on the CDs. They
    should be priced at about 5 to 8 bucks.

    - Rutgar
     
    Rutgar, Dec 10, 2003
    #7
  8. Rutgar <> wrote in
    news::

    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:30:01 GMT, "JWB" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>DVD seems to have learned from the music industry's mistake - don't
    >>price gouge.
    >>
    >>I'm convinced if CD's were 10 bucks on average, there isn't a huge
    >>pirating problem like there is now. It seems to me most folks consider
    >>DVD's a good value.
    >>
    >>JWB
    >>

    >
    > I agree. However, I think you're still too high on the CDs. They
    > should be priced at about 5 to 8 bucks.
    >
    > - Rutgar




    No, the problem I have is when shitty albums are priced at $15. I don't
    mind paying that for an excellent album, but I'll be damned if I'm going to
    be fleeced for an album with maybe one decent song.
     
    Ralph Winchell, Dec 10, 2003
    #8
  9. Richard

    Rob Guest

    Panasonic stand alone DVD recorders will not break copy protection
    features built in to most commercial DVDs. You would have to use a
    "black box" to modify the video signal to eliminate the copy
    protection. Besides, there is only one player in these units - you
    need two players to do a DVD to DVD copy. Even the Pannys with
    built-in hard drives won't allow you to do this.


    > Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    > copies of old home videos."
    >
    > The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    > It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    > aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    > I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    > the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    > who download the music.
    > -Rich
     
    Rob, Dec 10, 2003
    #9
  10. On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:29:15 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    >in article , Richard at
    > wrote on 12/9/03 2:47 PM:
    >
    >> Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    >> copies of old home videos."
    >>
    >> The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.

    >
    >No it's not. I bet very few people are actually doing this. Perhaps this
    >is pretty popular and widespread with DVD drives for computers, but stand
    >alone recorders kinda suck for trying to copy commercial DVDs.
    >
    >With stand alone DVD recorders:
    >You can't duplicate the DVD itself, you can only record the video. This
    >means no menus or any of the special features, unless you do hatchet jobs
    >with them.
    >
    >You can't do a bit perfect copy of the DVD video. You have to record the
    >analog video out. Furthermore, you have to strip the Macrovision. So this
    >means you need a second DVD player with Macrovision disabled or a separate
    >Macrovision remover / TBC.
    >
    >Of course you'll also be recompressing the video and perhaps taking a video
    >that was on more than one layer and compressing it down to single layer or
    >burning it on two disks (a problem for those long movies).
    >
    >My guess is that they are mostly used as intended...people wanting to record
    >VHS tapes to what they *think* is a "perfect and permanent format", people
    >who want to archive TV shows and movies from their Tivo or the built in DVR
    >on the DVD recorder.
    >
    >DVD computer drives are another story. Copying commercial DVDs with high
    >quality results is really easy and fairly fast. Single layered DVDs can
    >currently be copied bit perfectly with the encryption, Macrovision and
    >region coding removed with just a few clicks. Double-layer drives and media
    >are coming soon and then it will be even that much easier to bit perfect
    >copy any DVD.
    >
    >Within 2 years you'll be able to make a bit perfect copy of a commercial
    >dual layer DVD in less than 10 minutes for under $1 on a computer costing
    >less than $1,000.



    I totally agree, Computers are infinitely better for copying DVD's.
    The several DVD-recorders I know about (I don't have one myself) are
    used for (in no particular order) timeshifting (just like a VHS, but
    with an external tuner/controller), recording wedding videos from a
    DVcam master, dubbing 3/4" and Betacam tapes for archive preservation,
    copying Laserdiscs (I prefer to use the PC), distribution copies of a
    small run home vide (300 or so), Demo discs for client's approval of
    corporate or wedding videos, Distribution copies of corporate video
    edited on Betacam or DVcam... I know of NO one who is using a DVD
    recorder for copying DVD's. That, as stated above, is a stupidly
    inefficient use of the device.

    . Steve .
     
    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 10, 2003
    #10
  11. Richard

    pc user Guest

    On 2003-12-10, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:


    >>
    >>Within 2 years you'll be able to make a bit perfect copy of a commercial
    >>dual layer DVD in less than 10 minutes for under $1 on a computer costing
    >>less than $1,000.


    More likely less than $500.....

    >
    >
    > I totally agree, Computers are infinitely better for copying DVD's.
    > The several DVD-recorders I know about (I don't have one myself) are
    > used for (in no particular order) timeshifting (just like a VHS, but
    > with an external tuner/controller), recording wedding videos from a
    > DVcam master, dubbing 3/4" and Betacam tapes for archive preservation,
    > copying Laserdiscs (I prefer to use the PC), distribution copies of a
    > small run home vide (300 or so), Demo discs for client's approval of
    > corporate or wedding videos, Distribution copies of corporate video
    > edited on Betacam or DVcam... I know of NO one who is using a DVD
    > recorder for copying DVD's. That, as stated above, is a stupidly
    > inefficient use of the device.
    >
    > . Steve .


    The other reason for the stand-alone recorder is to copy/transfer
    the laser discs to dvd, especially for the laserdiscs that aren't
    going to be on dvd as they are not "popular" for the masses.
     
    pc user, Dec 10, 2003
    #11
  12. Richard

    Larry Gold Guest

    you can only copy the film by playing it, and the extras you would also have
    to play to record

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life
    Thierry Henry:
    Arsenal is my Paradise


    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    > copies of old home videos."
    >
    > The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    > It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    > aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    > I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    > the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    > who download the music.
    > -Rich
     
    Larry Gold, Dec 10, 2003
    #12
  13. Richard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    pc user,paul@not_a_real.edu says...
    > Or just as good...I bought, for $14.95, a CD by Keiko Matsui performing
    > in Tokyo AND it also had a DVD of the performance included in the jewel box.
    > It is a very good marketing concept....


    it IS a good idea, and I'm seeing it more often. My wife has an Alan Tam
    CD set she imported from Hong Kong that includes a DVD of concert
    footage. Pretty cool.
     
    Mark Spatny, Dec 11, 2003
    #13
  14. Richard

    Rutgar Guest

    On 9 Dec 2003 14:47:12 -0800, (Richard) wrote:

    >Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    >copies of old home videos."
    >
    >The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    >It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    >aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    >I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    >the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    >who download the music.
    >-Rich


    I have a Panasonic DVD Video Recorder (DMR-E80H), and I have over 500
    commercial DVDs. I haven't recorded a single DVD. All of my
    recordings are of rare or personal VHS tapes, or from the air waves.
    In other words, I have used it to replace my old VCR. So much for
    your theory.

    - Rutgar
     
    Rutgar, Dec 11, 2003
    #14
  15. Richard

    Justin Guest

    Rutgar wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:37:29 GMT]:
    > I have a Panasonic DVD Video Recorder (DMR-E80H), and I have over 500
    > commercial DVDs. I haven't recorded a single DVD. All of my
    > recordings are of rare or personal VHS tapes, or from the air waves.
    > In other words, I have used it to replace my old VCR. So much for
    > your theory.


    How much do you record off air? We tend to tape multiple shows at once
    for hours at a time. For example, we decide to go out on a Thursday
    night but want to tape Friends through ER, and CSI. Not trying to
    account for taste or anything, but there are often times when you want
    to see multiple things on primetime on different stations.

    How does it handle 3 or 4 hour blocks of recording?
     
    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
    #15
  16. Richard

    Will Guest

    I have a friend who copies some of his DVDs. He has small kids and he edits
    some parts of some movies and then burns the file again on DVD. He also does
    this with any DVD his kids watch a lot that way if it gets scratched so bad
    it will not play it is a 1.00 DVD-r not the original. I was talking to him
    about getting a recorder and he showed me some he had recorded, they look as
    good as the originals. I was wondering if you copy a DVD would you get the
    5.1 Dolby sound? If you could not then the DVD you rented then copied would
    be a bunch of crap. The 5.1 surround sound and extra content is what I love
    so much about DVDs. -Will

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    news:2go.com...
    > Rutgar wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:37:29 GMT]:
    > > I have a Panasonic DVD Video Recorder (DMR-E80H), and I have over 500
    > > commercial DVDs. I haven't recorded a single DVD. All of my
    > > recordings are of rare or personal VHS tapes, or from the air waves.
    > > In other words, I have used it to replace my old VCR. So much for
    > > your theory.

    >
    > How much do you record off air? We tend to tape multiple shows at once
    > for hours at a time. For example, we decide to go out on a Thursday
    > night but want to tape Friends through ER, and CSI. Not trying to
    > account for taste or anything, but there are often times when you want
    > to see multiple things on primetime on different stations.
    >
    > How does it handle 3 or 4 hour blocks of recording?
     
    Will, Dec 11, 2003
    #16
  17. Richard

    Ray Guest

    Mark Spatny wrote:

    > pc user,paul@not_a_real.edu says...
    >> Or just as good...I bought, for $14.95, a CD by Keiko Matsui performing
    >> in Tokyo AND it also had a DVD of the performance included in the jewel
    >> box. It is a very good marketing concept....

    >
    > it IS a good idea, and I'm seeing it more often. My wife has an Alan Tam
    > CD set she imported from Hong Kong that includes a DVD of concert
    > footage. Pretty cool.


    Neil Young, Greendale. CD with Crazy Horse, plus DVD of a solo acoustic
    performance of the same music at a club. Killer stuff, both ways.
     
    Ray, Dec 11, 2003
    #17
  18. >How much do you record off air?

    A LOT.
     
    Waterperson77, Dec 11, 2003
    #18
  19. Richard

    Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:31:10 GMT, pc user <paul@not_a_real.edu> wrote:

    >On 2003-12-10, JWB <> wrote:
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Panasonic: "Use your DVD recorder to record your home movies, make
    >>> copies of old home videos."
    >>>
    >>> The main use for these things is to copy commercial DVDs.
    >>> It's like the electronics companies pretending MP3 players
    >>> aren't being used to play illegally copied music.
    >>> I guess they are just covering their asses so the lawyers for
    >>> the music and movie companies are only going to sue individuals
    >>> who download the music.
    >>> -Rich

    >>
    >> How much pirating is really going to go on? Take "Pirates of the Caribbean".
    >> It was around 15 bucks in most places release week. It's two discs. Why
    >> would I rent it, buy blanks, and spend the time recording it - all to save
    >> what amounts to under 10 bucks?
    >>
    >> Sure some will do it, but if they're that desperate, it's doubtful they were
    >> a paying customer anyway.
    >>
    >> DVD seems to have learned from the music industry's mistake - don't price
    >> gouge.
    >>
    >> I'm convinced if CD's were 10 bucks on average, there isn't a huge pirating
    >> problem like there is now. It seems to me most folks consider DVD's a good
    >> value.
    >>
    >> JWB
    >>

    >Or just as good...I bought, for $14.95, a CD by Keiko Matsui performing
    >in Tokyo AND it also had a DVD of the performance included in the jewel box.
    >It is a very good marketing concept....



    Damn, you cant even buy a CD anymore without getting venereal disease.
     
    , Dec 12, 2003
    #19
  20. Richard

    Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    :
    : Damn, you cant even buy a CD anymore without getting venereal disease.
    :
    =================
    It is just you and the people and places you associate with.
     
    Richard C., Dec 12, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. west488
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    695
    west488
    Jun 19, 2005
  2. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    braindumps...you must be kidding

    Vigo Breadcrumbs, May 6, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    727
    Mike T.
    May 8, 2004
  3. philo

    Just kidding

    philo, Oct 25, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    499
    philo
    Oct 25, 2005
  4. longnine009

    Are they kidding?

    longnine009, Jun 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,359
    Stuart
    Jun 10, 2004
  5. Replies:
    81
    Views:
    1,348
Loading...

Share This Page