    client computers can't access all

    tell me why
    thanks
    direstraits, Aug 24, 2003

  2. direstraits

    Gary - US Guest

    Because you screwed up the installation/configuration?

    --

    Semper Fi & God Bless America,

    Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    ** Kindly Do The Needful **

    Gary - US, Aug 24, 2003

  3. direstraits

    Arild Guest

    It might have something to do with where your clients get
    their DNS-information from..

    Arild, Aug 25, 2003
  4. direstraits

    Maestro Guest

    Both of you have something misconfigured!

    and
    >Services and RESTART the DNS client service. If the
    >internet starts to work again, it is likely DNS cache
    >pollution or the preferred DNS has cache polution or
    >cannot be contacted.
    >
    >I have observed this numerous times and there are still
    >some sites that I can't get to work with ICS. I think it
    >is some sought of cookie delivery problem for those
    >sites. Sometimes, I am moving preferred DNS servers up
    >and down my list a number of times to get the internet
    >connection working again. Very frustrating.
    >
    >I have found that you can use scheduled task to restart
    >DNS client service every minute and the problem is not
    >very noticeable.
    >
    >There is no helpful MS Knowledge Base article on this
    >anomoly that I have found to date. I know it is poor but
    >I have learned to live with it and just put up with the
    >problem, reconciling myself to the fact that I am at

    least
    >able to use the one internet connection with more than

    one

    Maestro, Aug 26, 2003
  5. direstraits

    Herb Martin Guest

    "Marko" <> wrote in message
    > >when use "ICS" to access internet, the ICS server

    > computer
    > >can access all the web servers on the internet,but the
    > >client computers can't access all

    > Usually this is a DNS problem. Try putting in the IP
    > address of two DNS servers that are good and reliable

    Actually not.

    When the ICS machine can access the Internet and the
    others cannot, this is seldom a DNS problem.

    It is almost always a DHCP-Client setting problem or
    trying to use ICS with an existing internal DHCP server.

    Since the ICS machine access the Internet fully, we can
    presume it knows how to resolve DNS names.

    The ICS machines will offer the other clients address and
    itself as their default gateway and DNS server -- IF they
    ask.

    In the NIC\IP properties set "obtain IP address automatically",
    and either wait a few minutes or use "Ipconfig /renew".

    IF this isn't the problem then the problem is likely with the
    internal NIC on the ICS machine -- best here is probably to
    unshare the external NIC, re-share it. (Perhaps reboot but
    this shouldn't really be necessary.)

    From here, if it still isn't working pinging between clients and
    the ICS as well as checking "IPConfig /all" will give hints.

    --
    Herb Martin
    Herb Martin, Aug 29, 2003
  6. I agree with you Herb! I see many home users setting up their lab or home
    network with DHCP already set and them setup ICS and only the server that
    ICS is setup on gets out. That would be my first check to ensure that only
    the ICS component is actually in charge of DHCP.

    Diana K Brown

    AS, BS, JD, N+, MCP 210, 215

    MCNGP #25?
    Diana K Brown, Aug 29, 2003