    I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
    suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.

    Thanks.
    Noxqq4u, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Noxqq4u

    TB Guest

    "Noxqq4u" wrote:

    >I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
    >suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.

    Taiyo Yuden is probably the best, most reliable dvd-r white printable discs
    out there. Other companies like Maxell, Fuji and Ritek have similar white
    surface printable dvd-/+ discs as well. The one you'll find in places like
    CompUSA and other stores is probably Memorex and I'd strongly advise you to
    avoid that brand as myself as well as many others have found that brand has
    an unacceptably high rate of junk discs (up to 50%+) that fail to write and
    read properly.

    T.B.
    TB, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Noxqq4u

    Art Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Noxqq4u" wrote:
    >
    >>I am looking to buy printable DVD's. I was wondering if anyone had a
    >>suggestion on what brand has the whitest printing surface.

    > Taiyo Yuden is probably the best, most reliable dvd-r white printable
    > discs out there. Other companies like Maxell, Fuji and Ritek have similar
    > white surface printable dvd-/+ discs as well. The one you'll find in
    > places like CompUSA and other stores is probably Memorex and I'd strongly
    > advise you to avoid that brand as myself as well as many others have found
    > that brand has an unacceptably high rate of junk discs (up to 50%+) that
    > fail to write and read properly.
    >
    > T.B.

    I can affirm this opinion with my recent experience with Memorex, but I had
    more like an 80% fail rate (using 3 different) burners. Fortunately the
    kind souls here steered me to Ritek and TY. Haven't had a coaster since :).

    Art
    Art, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Noxqq4u

    Tonester Guest

    Ritek for sure. Avoid Taiyo Yuden if the printable surface is your main
    concern, TY's surface sucks. It's off white and rough, giving the printing a
    'matte' finish.

    Tonester, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Noxqq4u

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:28:09 GMT, "Tonester" <> wrote:

    >Ritek for sure. Avoid Taiyo Yuden if the printable surface is your main
    >concern, TY's surface sucks. It's off white and rough, giving the printing a
    >'matte' finish.

    I'm more worried about whether the DVD is going to last than if it's
    "pretty" or not, that's why I'd pick Taiyo-Yuden over the
    unpredictable Ritek anytime.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve, Apr 12, 2006
  6. Noxqq4u

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:24:20 -0400, Steve
    <> wrote:

    >I'm more worried about whether the DVD is going to last than if it's
    >"pretty" or not, that's why I'd pick Taiyo-Yuden over the
    >unpredictable Ritek anytime.

    Check the subject line:

    "Subject: Whitest DVD-R Printable DVD"

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Apr 13, 2006
  7. Noxqq4u

    Tonester Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:28:09 GMT, "Tonester" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ritek for sure. Avoid Taiyo Yuden if the printable surface is your main
    >>concern, TY's surface sucks. It's off white and rough, giving the printing
    >>'matte' finish.

    > I'm more worried about whether the DVD is going to last than if it's
    > "pretty" or not, that's why I'd pick Taiyo-Yuden over the
    > unpredictable Ritek anytime.

    I'd choose Ritek for that too. I've seen no difference in TY and Ritek after
    6 years of using both.
    Tonester, Apr 13, 2006
  8. Noxqq4u

    unclejr Guest

    Tonester wrote:
    > I'd choose Ritek for that too. I've seen no difference in TY and Ritek after
    > 6 years of using both.

    I agree that I see no difference in performance between the two media.
    However, on a purely aesthetic level, the Ritek/RiData purple dye
    *LOOKS* way cooler than the rather drab-looking blue dye of Taiyo Yuden
    discs. YMMV, naturally.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Apr 13, 2006