White pixels on a dark image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wapenga, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. Wapenga

    Wapenga Guest

    Hi All

    Please excuse me if this sounds obvious. I tried searching the site
    beforehand for similar answers.

    Am a film SLR user who just bought a pocket sized digital.

    All seems well in the past few days but now my images aren't looking
    so good. A snow-like flurry of white/yellow pixels are showing up in
    the dark areas of my digital images. Using a Pentax Optio S30. Hadn't
    noticed it before but have only had the camera a week. Not sure if
    it's software (ACDSee, supplied with camera) or hardware.

    Please advise.

    Paul

    ..

    Wapenga, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Wapenga

    Charles Guest

    On 13 Nov 2004 16:28:09 -0800, (Wapenga) wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >Please excuse me if this sounds obvious. I tried searching the site
    >beforehand for similar answers.
    >
    >Am a film SLR user who just bought a pocket sized digital.
    >
    >All seems well in the past few days but now my images aren't looking
    >so good. A snow-like flurry of white/yellow pixels are showing up in
    >the dark areas of my digital images. Using a Pentax Optio S30. Hadn't
    >noticed it before but have only had the camera a week. Not sure if
    >it's software (ACDSee, supplied with camera) or hardware.
    >
    >Please advise.
    >
    >Paul
    >

    >.

    Using a flash? sometimes dust in the air can cause something like
    that.

    --

    - Charles
    -

    Charles, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Wapenga

    Bones Guest

    "Wapenga" <> wrote

    > Am a film SLR user who just bought a pocket sized digital.
    >
    > All seems well in the past few days but now my images aren't looking
    > so good. A snow-like flurry of white/yellow pixels are showing up in
    > the dark areas of my digital images. Using a Pentax Optio S30. Hadn't
    > noticed it before but have only had the camera a week. Not sure if
    > it's software (ACDSee, supplied with camera) or hardware.

    Welcome to the world of compact digicams, where depth of field is huge and
    dust is a problem with flash photography. My suggestion is to clean your
    house.

    Bones, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Wapenga

    Big Bill Guest

    On 13 Nov 2004 16:28:09 -0800, (Wapenga) wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >Please excuse me if this sounds obvious. I tried searching the site
    >beforehand for similar answers.
    >
    >Am a film SLR user who just bought a pocket sized digital.
    >
    >All seems well in the past few days but now my images aren't looking
    >so good. A snow-like flurry of white/yellow pixels are showing up in
    >the dark areas of my digital images. Using a Pentax Optio S30. Hadn't
    >noticed it before but have only had the camera a week. Not sure if
    >it's software (ACDSee, supplied with camera) or hardware.
    >
    >Please advise.
    >
    >Paul

    Without seeing an example and going from the description, it sounds
    like you're seeing dust in the air that's illuminated by the flash.
    This is a comon problem with some smaller digital cameras because the
    flash is so close to the lens, and the depth of field is so great
    (things close to the camera lens are more in focus than in film
    cameras) that dust motes are being illuminated, and seen by the sensor
    as white blobs.
    The solution is to move the flash further from the lens; in your case,
    this would mean using an accessory flash. Otherwise, it's a frequent
    thing inside houses with dusty air.
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 14, 2004