White paper, Solaris v Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competitive/solarisToLinux.shtml

    Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10 (arguably
    the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does not mention
    its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be applied to cover
    these as well I think.

    Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
    sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
    hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a 64
    or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as the
    break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).

    Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
    clustering to scale horizontally......

    I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....

    Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in comparison?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 9, 2005

  2. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competitive/solarisToLinux.shtml
    >
    > Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10 (arguably
    > the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does not mention
    > its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be applied to cover
    > these as well I think.
    >
    > Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
    > sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
    > hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a 64
    > or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as the
    > break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).
    >
    > Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
    > clustering to scale horizontally......
    >
    > I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....
    >
    > Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in comparison?

    That report is disappointing. A major cost of an OS is the
    maintenance and administration. They should have put in a
    large section about Solaris' system management tools (which
    are much enhanved over Solaris 9, versus the Linux tools.
    The Linux tools still win, but Sun has made a great leap
    forward with Solaris 10.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 9, 2005

  3. thingy

    thing2 Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competitive/solarisToLinux.shtml
    >>
    >> Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10 (arguably
    >> the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does not mention
    >> its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be applied to
    >> cover these as well I think.
    >>
    >> Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
    >> sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
    >> hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a
    >> 64 or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as
    >> the break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).
    >>
    >> Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
    >> clustering to scale horizontally......
    >>
    >> I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....
    >>
    >> Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in
    >> comparison?
    >>

    > That report is disappointing. A major cost of an OS is the maintenance
    > and administration. They should have put in a large section about
    > Solaris' system management tools (which are much enhanved over Solaris
    > 9, versus the Linux tools. The Linux tools still win, but Sun has made a
    > great leap forward with Solaris 10.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Might depend on which Linux tools. This stuff is a hardware & OS level
    thing, someone reading this would have to collect more info to make a
    decision.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Oct 10, 2005
  4. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competitive/solarisToLinux.shtml
    >>>
    >>> Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10
    >>> (arguably the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does
    >>> not mention its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be
    >>> applied to cover these as well I think.
    >>>
    >>> Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
    >>> sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
    >>> hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a
    >>> 64 or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as
    >>> the break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).
    >>>
    >>> Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
    >>> clustering to scale horizontally......
    >>>
    >>> I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....
    >>>
    >>> Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in
    >>> comparison?
    >>>

    >> That report is disappointing. A major cost of an OS is the maintenance
    >> and administration. They should have put in a large section about
    >> Solaris' system management tools (which are much enhanved over Solaris
    >> 9, versus the Linux tools. The Linux tools still win, but Sun has made
    >> a great leap forward with Solaris 10.

    > Might depend on which Linux tools. This stuff is a hardware & OS level
    > thing, someone reading this would have to collect more info to make a
    > decision.

    Well yes, but the real strengths of Linux are in the support
    and the packaging.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 10, 2005