    etc).
    Are they as reliable?
    Do they have the same or similar shock resistance?
    Robert Baer, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Robert Baer

    Thor Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I look in PriceWatch to get some hard drives (100Gbyte or 120Gbyte
    > internal desktop) and the vendors are either liquidators or rebuilders,
    > and the drives have no brand (to speak of) - but the prices are $30 to
    > $60 less than true brand drives (Maxtor, WD, Seagate, IBM, Fujitsu,
    > etc).
    > Are they as reliable?
    > Do they have the same or similar shock resistance?

    The drives are name brand. When you receive the drive, it will be a brand
    name. You just don't get to pick which brand you get.
    Thor, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Robert Baer

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > I look in PriceWatch to get some hard drives (100Gbyte or 120Gbyte
    > internal desktop) and the vendors are either liquidators or rebuilders,
    > and the drives have no brand (to speak of) - but the prices are $30 to
    > $60 less than true brand drives (Maxtor, WD, Seagate, IBM, Fujitsu,
    > etc).
    > Are they as reliable?

    I get to replace a lot of them. I'd never recommend using a drive that
    failed the QA/QC process from one of the major brands. Now think about
    it. Would they actually be as reliable for that price?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > I look in PriceWatch to get some hard drives (100Gbyte or 120Gbyte
    > > internal desktop) and the vendors are either liquidators or rebuilders,
    > > and the drives have no brand (to speak of) - but the prices are $30 to
    > > $60 less than true brand drives (Maxtor, WD, Seagate, IBM, Fujitsu,
    > > etc).
    > > Are they as reliable?
    > > Do they have the same or similar shock resistance?

    > The drives are name brand. When you receive the drive, it will be a brand
    > name. You just don't get to pick which brand you get.

    Err..One time i bought some "white label" drives, and they were
    "Western Digital" with the labels looking like the WD labels - but - on
    close inspection, it stated "made in China", which begs the question.
    Robert Baer, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > I look in PriceWatch to get some hard drives (100Gbyte or 120Gbyte
    > > internal desktop) and the vendors are either liquidators or rebuilders,
    > > and the drives have no brand (to speak of) - but the prices are $30 to
    > > $60 less than true brand drives (Maxtor, WD, Seagate, IBM, Fujitsu,
    > > etc).
    > > Are they as reliable?

    > I get to replace a lot of them. I'd never recommend using a drive that
    > failed the QA/QC process from one of the major brands. Now think about
    > it. Would they actually be as reliable for that price?
    >
    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Thanks for the info.
    Robert Baer, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Robert Baer

    Plato Guest

    You know, it wouldn't be such a big deal to take a chance if it didn't
    take so much time now to redo a system from scratch. The OS takes
    forever to install, setup, etc. not to mention all the ware and printer
    drivers and such that have to go on. Redo all the Internet SMPT, users
    names, etc.
    Plato, Apr 28, 2004
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > You know, it wouldn't be such a big deal to take a chance if it didn't
    > take so much time now to redo a system from scratch. The OS takes
    > forever to install, setup, etc. not to mention all the ware and printer
    > drivers and such that have to go on. Redo all the Internet SMPT, users
    > names, etc.

    Actually, with a little $, it can be rather simple and fast...
    ...i could get yet another HD of the same size and clone the first to
    the second.
    In my case however, i would need to buy 3 drives: one as Primary
    Master inside the new computer, one in a HD carrier to plug in as
    Secondary Master for backup, and the third to be same as second.
    The computer and backup HD goes to Ethipoia, the third HD is kept for
    Mister Murphy's brother, Justin Case.
    Robert Baer, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Robert Baer

    > Plato wrote:
    > >
    > > You know, it wouldn't be such a big deal to take a chance if it didn't
    > > take so much time now to redo a system from scratch. The OS takes
    > > forever to install, setup, etc. not to mention all the ware and printer
    > > drivers and such that have to go on. Redo all the Internet SMPT, users
    > > names, etc.

    > Actually, with a little $, it can be rather simple and fast...
    > ...i could get yet another HD of the same size and clone the first to
    > the second.
    > In my case however, i would need to buy 3 drives: one as Primary
    > Master inside the new computer, one in a HD carrier to plug in as
    > Secondary Master for backup, and the third to be same as second.
    > The computer and backup HD goes to Ethipoia, the third HD is kept for
    > Mister Murphy's brother, Justin Case.

    I think Plato was thinking in terms of using it for customer replacement
    drives. You can't image every customer's drive and keep a backup copy in the
    event of a failure. Thus, when their white label drive eats it, you have to
    spend some time reloading the software piece by piece.
    Thor, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Robert Baer

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > The computer and backup HD goes to Ethipoia, the third HD is kept for

    This is way weird. I just, 20 seconds ago, posted regarding "Ethiopia".
    Did they just stike some new gold mine there?
    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
  10. Robert Baer

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > I think Plato was thinking in terms of using it for customer replacement
    > drives. You can't image every customer's drive and keep a backup copy in the
    > event of a failure. Thus, when their white label drive eats it, you have to
    > spend some time reloading the software piece by piece.

    My point actually was is the $40 savings worth the extra chance you take
    for the time and expense of reloading fresh. Also, lots of regular
    non-geek folks who may buy one have to hire outside to get their pc
    working again, business or not. Since I make more than $40/day and it'd
    take a day to reload/redo, a white label is not for me.
    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
  11. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Plato wrote:
    > > >
    > > > You know, it wouldn't be such a big deal to take a chance if it didn't
    > > > take so much time now to redo a system from scratch. The OS takes
    > > > forever to install, setup, etc. not to mention all the ware and printer
    > > > drivers and such that have to go on. Redo all the Internet SMPT, users
    > > > names, etc.

    > > Actually, with a little $, it can be rather simple and fast...
    > > ...i could get yet another HD of the same size and clone the first to
    > > the second.
    > > In my case however, i would need to buy 3 drives: one as Primary
    > > Master inside the new computer, one in a HD carrier to plug in as
    > > Secondary Master for backup, and the third to be same as second.
    > > The computer and backup HD goes to Ethipoia, the third HD is kept for
    > > Mister Murphy's brother, Justin Case.

    > I think Plato was thinking in terms of using it for customer replacement
    > drives. You can't image every customer's drive and keep a backup copy in the
    > event of a failure. Thus, when their white label drive eats it, you have to
    > spend some time reloading the software piece by piece.

    If one has a number of customers, then that option becomes expensive
    and perhaps unmaneageable.
    in my case, there is only one - in Ethiopia.
    Robert Baer, Apr 29, 2004
  12. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > The computer and backup HD goes to Ethipoia, the third HD is kept for

    > This is way weird. I just, 20 seconds ago, posted regarding "Ethiopia".
    > Did they just stike some new gold mine there?

    Prolly coincidence.
    I have been communicating with Mesfin Kebede in Addis Ababa for 10
    years or so.
    And he really needs a more modern computer (has a HP P2-200).
    I am on Social Insecurity, and thus need to trim costs..
    Robert Baer, Apr 29, 2004