? White Book v. 1.1 ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Borkin, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. Borkin

    Borkin Guest

    I'm looking for this superseded specification for Video CD: White Book
    version 1.1, announced by JVC, Philips, SONY and Matsushita in July
    1993. The current version is 2.0., which I was able to buy from
    Philips International.

    I'm desperate. I've consulted a standards retrieval service, done all
    my librarian things, contacted the relevant companies, and have
    contacted everybody that Google tells me has written about this
    standard - no luck yet.

    Can anyone here give me any leads? Of course I'm after the standard
    itself, but I'll welcome hints and suggestions of people to contact,
    sources to try . . .

    Thanks for reading
    Ann Borkin
    Associate Librarian
    Thelen Reid & Priest LLP
    415-369-7093

    Borkin, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Borkin

    Guest

    Borkin wrote:
    > I'm looking for this superseded specification for Video CD: White

    Book
    > version 1.1, announced by JVC, Philips, SONY and Matsushita in July
    > 1993. The current version is 2.0., which I was able to buy from
    > Philips International.
    >
    > I'm desperate. I've consulted a standards retrieval service, done

    all
    > my librarian things, contacted the relevant companies, and have
    > contacted everybody that Google tells me has written about this
    > standard - no luck yet.
    >
    > Can anyone here give me any leads? Of course I'm after the standard
    > itself, but I'll welcome hints and suggestions of people to contact,
    > sources to try . . .
    >
    > Thanks for reading
    > Ann Borkin
    > Associate Librarian
    > Thelen Reid & Priest LLP
    > 415-369-7093

    Not really sure what you are asking for? Are you looking for some kind
    of reference book or a piece of hardware for creating Video CDs? What
    about the VCD 1.1 Spec are you trying to get? Telling us what Philips
    sold you for the VCD 2.0 Spec might be helpful? Information on the
    technical specifications of the 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0 VCD standards are
    available online using search engines.

    , Dec 29, 2004

  3. Borkin

    Borkin Guest

    Thanks - I know I can read *about* White Book VideoCD version 1.1, and
    I've used search engines both to try to find the spec itself and to
    find people knowledgeable about it who might still have a copy. I'm a
    librarian, and I've been asked to get the spec itself : the White Book
    standard v1.1 as issued in 1993. The need for it has arisen in a
    patent infringement suit that the firm I work for is involved in.

    People I've contacted have been very gracious in responding fast and
    looking to see if they have this superseded spec. But so far, the spec
    itself has eluded me.

    Ann

    Borkin, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Borkin

    Guest

    Borkin wrote:
    > Thanks - I know I can read *about* White Book VideoCD version 1.1,

    and
    > I've used search engines both to try to find the spec itself and to
    > find people knowledgeable about it who might still have a copy. I'm

    > librarian, and I've been asked to get the spec itself : the White

    Book
    > standard v1.1 as issued in 1993. The need for it has arisen in a
    > patent infringement suit that the firm I work for is involved in.
    >
    > People I've contacted have been very gracious in responding fast and
    > looking to see if they have this superseded spec. But so far, the

    spec
    > itself has eluded me.
    >
    > Ann

    If I may ask are you on the side of the plaintif or the defendant? If
    you are trying to find out who holds the intellectual property rights
    to the Video CD White Book stanard than I believe it's still Philips,
    Sony and Microware.
    http://www.licensing.philips.com/information/cd/video/

    , Dec 30, 2004
  5. Borkin

    Guest

    , Dec 30, 2004
  6. Borkin

    Borkin Guest

    To tell the truth I don't know WHY I'm asked to get v.1.1 - I'm a
    librarian in a law firm, not a lawyer, and I rarely get told this kind
    of information.

    I do know I've been authorized to say that we're defending TriGem in a
    patent infringement suit brought by Toshiba.

    Ann

    Borkin, Dec 30, 2004