    very simple (and much cheaper) USB 'plugs'. Which do I need ? Do I also
    need a router ? Finally, does my desktop also need an NIC ?
    Thanks for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=, Mar 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Carole UK" <Carole > wrote in message
    news:...
    > HI,
    >
    > I'm buying a new laptop and I want to set up a wireless network between
    > the
    > laptop and my old desktop (just these two machines) for sharing broadband,
    > files etc. The laptop comes with a WiFi 802.11 a/b/g. What do I need for
    > my
    > desktop ? I've seen wireless cards that go in a slot in the tower, and
    > also
    > very simple (and much cheaper) USB 'plugs'. Which do I need ? Do I also
    > need a router ? Finally, does my desktop also need an NIC ?
    > Thanks for your help.

    The easiest way to network your systems would be to usea wireless router,
    but that isn't required. Alternatively, you could put a wireless NIC in
    your destop (along with the standard NIC) and connect the laptop that way.
    Go here for more information:

    www.ezlan.net

    DJ Borell, Mar 13, 2005

  3. OK thanks...I've lalready looked at the ezlan stuff (which is typically
    quoted on this newsgroup). Problem is that the site is full of loads of
    'verbal' and 'hype' but doesn't actually answer the question.
    So...do I ned a USB key or a card (in a slot) for the tower ? and do I need
    an NIC in the desktop....yes or no would be good rather than a re-direct to a
    (not very well designed) website.
    Sorry if this appears negative..it's not meant to be...just want a simple
    answer.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=, Mar 13, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Yeah EZLAN is Bad, because it is trying to paint a picture of the issues in
    question rather than to use short FAQ (I view Short FAQ as a very good
    medium to provide solution for knowledgeable users, otherwise, I view it as
    a Trick to maintain the ignorant in is ignorance).
    In any case.
    A decision on this matter might involve one Internet connection as well.
    Since you did not indicate any thing about your Internet connection (Hey No
    Body is Perfect);) ) the following answers might be lacking.
    Option 1. Wireless Network can be created between two computers connected in
    what is called AD-Hoc Wireless connection. All you need is one Wireless
    Client Card one in each computer.
    Short comes: Good only for two computers. Internet Sharing need to be done
    by Software NAT. This type of connection results in some what less efficient
    and less Stable Wireless Network, and limited security options.
    Ad-Hoc use to be popular in the past when two Wireless cards were much
    cheaper than a Wireless cable/DSL Router + one client card. However in the
    USA, current Wireless Client Card cost the same as a Wireless Router, so
    there is No point in using such a connection (unless some one has an
    Internal DialUp Modem).
    Option 2. Wireless Network that relies on a Wireless Cable/DSL Router (or a
    stand alone Access Point), aka Infrastructure Wireless Network. Such a
    setting provides the potential for many Wired and Wireless Clients, with all
    the additional Perks that come with a Cable/DSL Router (Hardware NAT,
    Firewall. DHCP, and more).
    Infrastructure Wireless Network is much better by any technological sense
    than Ad-Hoc connection.
    Ad-Hoc Connection:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx?pf=trueHi
    Infrastructure configuration:
    Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    Wireless, Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    What type of Client card to buy is a separate issue and would apply to
    either options.
    Wireless is depending on signal propagation.
    PCMCIA (Cardbus) is the preferred solution for a Laptop.
    For a Desktop.
    PCI Wireless Client Card ends up been stuck behind the computer's case,
    resultant in obstructed transmission and poor performance. USB is connected
    to the Port with 2-3' cable allowing the Antenna to be placed above the
    System for better Transmission.
    However a PCI card is a good choice when a powerful external Antenna is
    needed for long distance. Many Wireless PCI cards come with a removable
    Antenna.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 14, 2005
  5. Thanks Jack for taking the time to answer so fully !!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=, Mar 14, 2005