    Which certificates can help me and is it actually worth getting one?

    Many thanks for any advice.....

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?RkJ4aWlp?=, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Depends on which direction you wish to pursue...
    A+ & Network+ are "barebones" minimal required certs for
    a computer repair type job....MCSE or at the least, MCSA
    is the way to go if you want any kind of recognition or
    credibility in the security/database/networking fields

    which one to take.

    >In my day to day work, I mainly create and maintain

    Access 97 databases (my
    >company is still in the dark ages) to a high level (in

    my eyes).

    >This covers everything from small solutions using ODBC

    links to a very large
    >oracle database. (I also use a little PL/SQL in the unix

    environment)

    >I have also created a full 'Work management' system

    using forms/queries/VBA.

    >Ideally I would like to go into more of the Web

    development side of things
    >or even possibly setting up as a self-employed 'PC

    Doctor'.

    Mr. Systems Engineer, Nov 24, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RkJ4aWlp?=

    Mark Guest

    In my opinion, you would be better off going to School for a 4 year degree
    if you want to write code. Getting a tech job is fairly easy and certs may
    not even help (depends on the employer) but they can round out your resume.

    First, you should really decide what you want to do. And don't ever knock
    your employers IT.

    Mark, Dec 10, 2004