    best option for me.

    Thanks!

    Sandy
    sandy, Sep 4, 2005

  2. sandy

    salgud Guest

    sandy wrote:
    > I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
    > show:
    >
    > 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
    >
    > 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
    >
    > 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
    >
    > I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
    > Emailing, etc.
    >
    > Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
    > best option for me.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Sandy

    It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
    choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
    than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
    capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
    most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
    based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
    images, I couldn't say.
    By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare them
    online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare cameras
    for the things I use them for.
    Hope this helps in your world.
    salgud, Sep 4, 2005

  3. sandy

    salgud Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > sandy wrote:
    > > I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
    > > show:
    > >
    > > 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
    > >
    > > 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
    > >
    > > 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
    > >
    > > I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
    > > Emailing, etc.
    > >
    > > Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
    > > best option for me.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Sandy

    > It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
    > choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
    > than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
    > capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
    > most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
    > based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
    > images, I couldn't say.
    > By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare them
    > online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare cameras
    > for the things I use them for.
    > Hope this helps in your world.

    Correction: imaging-resource.com
    the actual comparator is at
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
    salgud, Sep 4, 2005
  4. sandy

    Frank ess Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > sandy wrote:
    >> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's
    >> paper
    >> show:
    >>
    >> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
    >>
    >> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
    >>
    >> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
    >>
    >> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures
    >> for Emailing, etc.
    >>
    >> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be
    >> the best option for me.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Sandy

    > It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
    > choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
    > than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
    > capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
    > most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
    > based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
    > images, I couldn't say.
    > By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare
    > them
    > online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare
    > cameras for the things I use them for.
    > Hope this helps in your world.

    I believe it _is_ that simple. Look 'em over in person, grab the one
    that rings your bell, and enjoy the products of your efforts.

    At the $149-level, there may be differences that are detectible, but
    probably not significant. I don't see how you can lose, given the
    cameras you name and your intended use.

    After a few hundred photos (which you might have missed while barking
    up the technical tree), you'll have a much better idea of what kind of
    features are important to you, if any beyond what your camera
    incorporates.

    My first two digitals were under $100, one under $50. They still work
    just fine. Look at these (pretty much) unretouched images:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/B95A3C788E2B59F

    What better do you need? The five-year newer cameras will undoubtedly
    provide it.

    --
    Frank ess
    "In this universe there are things
    Frank ess, Sep 4, 2005
  5. sandy

    Mr.Happy Guest

    1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149

    I was looking for this one, or the A340.
    However, since they use xD cards which cost twice as much as SD, I went
    with the Kodak c330
    for $159.

    2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179

    tell 'em Adorama has it for $159.

    3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149

    again, xD card, and probably doesnt have optical zoom.
    Mr.Happy, Sep 4, 2005
  6. sandy

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    "sandy" <> wrote:

    > I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
    > show:
    >
    > 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
    >
    > 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
    >
    > 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
    >
    > I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
    > Emailing, etc.
    >
    > Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
    > best option for me.

    These days, any digital camera can take photos that are good enough to
    send via email. What other criteria are important to you? I suggest you
    stop by a good camera store and try out the cameras on your list to see
    which ONE you like the most and which model offers the features YOU
    think you might benefit from.
    Shawn Hirn, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Sandy, for general shooting and emailing, almost all of them work fine.
    Spend some time and go to the retail outlets and handle them. Don't worry
    about megapixels, by the way. Pick one that is comfortable in your hands
    and seems to be easy to use. Be sure to ask about the manufacturer's
    warranty and try to resist buying a "store" warranty.

    On the other hand, if you are interested in wildlife or macros or ... , then
    your decision will take a little more effort and probably more money.
    Charles Schuler, Sep 4, 2005
  8. sandy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    sandy wrote:
    > I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
    > show:
    >
    > 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
    >
    > 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
    >
    > 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
    >
    > I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
    > Emailing, etc.
    >
    > Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
    > best option for me.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Sandy

    Any of them would be suitable for the job, but I would go with the Kodak
    for notable ease of use, and generally good pictures with no hassle.
    You neglect to mention the Kodak model number, so a direct comparison is
    impossible.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Sep 4, 2005
  9. sandy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    >> sandy wrote:
    >>> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
    >>> show:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
    >>>
    >>> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
    >>>
    >>> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures
    >>> for Emailing, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be
    >>> the best option for me.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Sandy

    >> It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
    >> choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
    >> than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
    >> capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
    >> most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
    >> based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
    >> images, I couldn't say.
    >> By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare them
    >> online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare
    >> cameras for the things I use them for.
    >> Hope this helps in your world.

    > I believe it _is_ that simple. Look 'em over in person, grab the one
    > that rings your bell, and enjoy the products of your efforts.
    >
    > At the $149-level, there may be differences that are detectible, but
    > probably not significant. I don't see how you can lose, given the
    > cameras you name and your intended use.
    >
    > After a few hundred photos (which you might have missed while barking up
    > the technical tree), you'll have a much better idea of what kind of
    > features are important to you, if any beyond what your camera incorporates.
    >
    > My first two digitals were under $100, one under $50. They still work
    > just fine. Look at these (pretty much) unretouched images:
    > http://www.fototime.com/inv/B95A3C788E2B59F
    >
    > What better do you need? The five-year newer cameras will undoubtedly
    > provide it.
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess
    > "In this universe there are things
    > that just don't yield to thinking-plain or fancy-Dude".
    > -J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson

    Picture 4 seems to have a bit overstated red response, or did you do
    that on purpose.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Sep 4, 2005
  10. sandy

    Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:18:48 -0400, Shawn Hirn <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "sandy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
    >> show:
    >>
    >> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
    >>
    >> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
    >>
    >> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
    >>
    >> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
    >> Emailing, etc.
    >>
    >> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
    >> best option for me.

    >These days, any digital camera can take photos that are good enough to
    >send via email. What other criteria are important to you? I suggest you
    >stop by a good camera store and try out the cameras on your list to see
    >which ONE you like the most and which model offers the features YOU
    >think you might benefit from.

    Also, since low cost appears to be a factor here, check out
    what size of memory comes with each choice. A few years back, I bought
    a camera which came with an 8MB CF card. Since it held fewer shos than
    all but the smallest film roll, I had to upgrade in short order to a
    128MB card, which was, at the time, about 16% of the entire camera
    cost.

    I've since also picked up larger cards so as to have a spare
    and only use the original 8MB card for when I want to toss a large PDF
    file into my pocket for printing at Kinko's.
    , Sep 4, 2005
  11. sandy

    Frank ess Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >> salgud wrote:

    >>> It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are
    >>> in
    >>> choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to
    >>> you
    >>> than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
    >>> capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which
    >>> are
    >>> most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
    >>> based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
    >>> images, I couldn't say.
    >>> By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare
    >>> them online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to
    >>> compare
    >>> cameras for the things I use them for.
    >>> Hope this helps in your world.

    >> I believe it _is_ that simple. Look 'em over in person, grab the
    >> one
    >> that rings your bell, and enjoy the products of your efforts.
    >>
    >> At the $149-level, there may be differences that are detectible,
    >> but
    >> probably not significant. I don't see how you can lose, given the
    >> cameras you name and your intended use.
    >>
    >> After a few hundred photos (which you might have missed while
    >> barking up the technical tree), you'll have a much better idea of
    >> what kind of features are important to you, if any beyond what your
    >> camera incorporates. My first two digitals were under $100, one
    >> under $50. They still work
    >> just fine. Look at these (pretty much) unretouched images:
    >> http://www.fototime.com/inv/B95A3C788E2B59F
    >>
    >> What better do you need? The five-year newer cameras will
    >> undoubtedly
    >> provide it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank ess
    >> "In this universe there are things
    >> that just don't yield to thinking-plain or fancy-Dude".
    >> -J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson
    >>

    > Picture 4 seems to have a bit overstated red response, or did you do
    > that on purpose.

    Serendipity.
    --
    Frank ess