    I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.

    Can any recommend a good provider please?

    Brian (Huddersfield)

    That Man!, Mar 6, 2007

  2. That Man!

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:04:25 GMT, "That Man!" <>
    wrote:

    >Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
    >to route via any VOIP provider.
    >
    >I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.
    >
    >Can any recommend a good provider please?
    >
    >Brian (Huddersfield)

    Good to see someone on here from my part of the world :)

    You could try www.vyke.co.uk
    NO incoming number - only for outgoing calls.
    If your usage is low deposit EURO10 instead of GBP10.
    It supposedly expires after 6 months but that'll give you about 12
    calls a week @ 2p/call to Europe and the US.
    Vyke have additional services that may also interest you.

    For better quality calls, quick connection and an incoming number
    www.voip.co.uk
    Pay £2/month and get all your off peak UK calls included (up to 1
    hour/call).
    You'll get a geographic number, for your area, for incoming calls.
    Peak calls to UK at 2p/call (up to 1 hour per call).
    Only downside is their voicemail isn't up to much.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 6, 2007

  3. On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:04:25 GMT, "That Man!" <>
    wrote:

    >Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary telephones
    >to route via any VOIP provider.
    >
    >I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.
    >
    >Can any recommend a good provider please?

    Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
    service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
    they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Mar 6, 2007
  4. That Man!

    That Man! Guest

    "Roderick Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:04:25 GMT, "That Man!" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just bought an ADSL router that has a facility for using ordinary
    >>telephones
    >>to route via any VOIP provider.
    >>
    >>I only make a few UK calls every week, so, my usage is pretty low.
    >>
    >>Can any recommend a good provider please?

    > Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
    > service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
    > they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.
    >
    > Rod.

    Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

    Thanks again

    That Man!, Mar 6, 2007
  5. That Man!

    Jono Guest

    That Man! formulated the question :
    >> Change to Orange Broadband.

    > Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

    You'll wish you hadn't

    Jono, Mar 6, 2007
  6. That Man!

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > That Man! formulated the question :
    > > > Change to Orange Broadband.

    > > Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

    > You'll wish you hadn't

    Seconded. Dare I suggest www.sipgate.co.uk ..? (Cue Ron Chew..!)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 6, 2007
  7. That Man!

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:35:03 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >That Man! formulated the question :
    >>> Change to Orange Broadband.

    >> Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

    >You'll wish you hadn't

    From what I have read, whilst some people will be happy with these new
    Broadband/phone conglomerates, many are not. So, I agree with the
    sentiment in that caution should be exercised. That's my advice if
    anyone asks me. There is a lot of dust to settle yet. Some of these
    deals are good on the surface but not everyone gets the deal they
    expect.
    IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
    for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
    voip.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 6, 2007
  8. That Man!

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
    > for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
    > voip.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    I agree, with the right equipment and the right provider, this should
    definitely be considered, although obviously after trialling first...

    However, you do also have to consider other deals around. I recently got to
    Virgin retentions who ended up giving me 10MB broadband + landline with 24
    hour free landline calls for GBP20/month (price matching Orange and Talk
    Talk). Hard to justify VoIP costs here unless you spend a significant
    amount on mobile/international and possibly NG.

    As it happens I still use VoIP because of the international calls costs, and
    I had already made the investment in the equipment. There are also the
    "value-added" benefits you can get with VoIP, again dependant on provider
    and equipment.

    Herman, Mar 6, 2007
  9. That Man!

    Guest

    On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:10:27 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> That Man! formulated the question :
    >> > ---------------------------------------------

    >> > Thank you to all that replied, I'll look into that.

    >> You'll wish you hadn't

    >Seconded. Dare I suggest www.sipgate.co.uk ..? (Cue Ron Chew..!)
    >
    >Ivor

    No you may not Ivor bout time you recommended a decent provider and
    one that is in THIS country not miles away in Europe that provides no
    means of contact except by email .

    , Mar 6, 2007
  10. That Man!

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:15:31 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> IMHO there is a lot to be said for dropping your landline and going
    >> for Virgin Media cable broadband - then using voip. GBP18/month + your
    >> voip.
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >I agree, with the right equipment and the right provider, this should
    >definitely be considered, although obviously after trialling first...
    >
    >However, you do also have to consider other deals around. I recently got to
    >Virgin retentions who ended up giving me 10MB broadband + landline with 24
    >hour free landline calls for GBP20/month (price matching Orange and Talk
    >Talk). Hard to justify VoIP costs here unless you spend a significant
    >amount on mobile/international and possibly NG.
    >
    >As it happens I still use VoIP because of the international calls costs, and
    >I had already made the investment in the equipment. There are also the
    >"value-added" benefits you can get with VoIP, again dependant on provider
    >and equipment.

    Apart from stuff like voicemail, caller display etc. I find the new
    facility on Voxalot, to divert calls to voicemail, at certain times
    very handy. I think, at sometime, I might find the timed call
    forwarding useful too.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 6, 2007
  11. That Man!

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:10:27 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > > > That Man! formulated the question :

    > > > You'll wish you hadn't

    > > Seconded. Dare I suggest www.sipgate.co.uk ..? (Cue Ron
    > > Chew..!)
    > >
    > > Ivor

    > No you may not Ivor bout time you recommended a decent
    > provider and one that is in THIS country not miles away
    > in Europe that provides no means of contact except by
    > email .

    Right on cue, Ron, well done..! I knew I could depend on you..!

    Right, time for the pub :)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 6, 2007
  12. Roderick Stewart wrote:

    > Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
    > service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
    > they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.

    I expect they charge for calls though don't they?

    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Mar 6, 2007
  13. On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:52:27 +0000, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >Roderick Stewart wrote:
    >
    >> Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
    >> service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
    >> they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.

    >I expect they charge for calls though don't they?

    Nope. Calls to UK landline 01 and 02 numbers free. International calls
    free. Calls to Orange mobiles free.

    The whole thing costs 19.99gbp per month on its own, or only 5gbp if
    you have one of their phone contracts as well. Customers service is no
    better than you'd get from from any mobile phone company, but the
    service itself has worked very well for me. Faster than either of my
    previous broadband services, a download limit of 30GB instead of 3GB,
    and a quarter of the price. Others may have had bad luck but I've
    encountered nothing to criticise so far.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Mar 6, 2007
  14. Roderick Stewart wrote:

    > Nope. Calls to UK landline 01 and 02 numbers free. International calls
    > free. Calls to Orange mobiles free.
    >
    > The whole thing costs 19.99gbp per month on its own, or only 5gbp if
    > you have one of their phone contracts as well. Customers service is no
    > better than you'd get from from any mobile phone company, but the
    > service itself has worked very well for me. Faster than either of my
    > previous broadband services, a download limit of 30GB instead of 3GB,
    > and a quarter of the price. Others may have had bad luck but I've
    > encountered nothing to criticise so far.

    That really does sound like a good package.

    Time for me to put the squeeze on telepest... blueyonder..... NTL....
    Virgin Media or whatever they will be called next week.

    :¬)
    Pete

    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Mar 7, 2007
  15. That Man!

    Scope Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> No you may not Ivor bout time you recommended a decent
    >> provider and one that is in THIS country not miles away
    >> in Europe that provides no means of contact except by
    >> email .

    > Right on cue, Ron, well done..! I knew I could depend on you..!
    >
    > Right, time for the pub :)

    You guys are unbeliveble! Dont you ever get fed up? I think I speak
    for most of us when I say that we are......

    Scope, Mar 7, 2007
  16. That Man!

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:47:15 +0000, Roderick Stewart
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:52:27 +0000, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Roderick Stewart wrote:
    >>
    >>> Change to Orange Broadband. No need to subscribe to any separate
    >>> service. VOIP is included in the price of the broadband service, and
    >>> they even provide a router, so you can sell the one you already have.

    >>I expect they charge for calls though don't they?

    >Nope. Calls to UK landline 01 and 02 numbers free. International calls
    >free. Calls to Orange mobiles free.
    >
    >The whole thing costs 19.99gbp per month on its own, or only 5gbp if
    >you have one of their phone contracts as well. Customers service is no
    >better than you'd get from from any mobile phone company, but the
    >service itself has worked very well for me. Faster than either of my
    >previous broadband services, a download limit of 30GB instead of 3GB,
    >and a quarter of the price. Others may have had bad luck but I've
    >encountered nothing to criticise so far.
    >
    >Rod.

    Am I right in thinking that you have to pay ine rental of GBP11 in
    addition too? Something that is not so with the Talk Talk GBP20 deal.

    Calls with Orange are not free to all countries, just some.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 7, 2007
  17. That Man!

    Rob Guest

    "Scope" <> wrote in message

    > You guys are unbeliveble! Dont you ever get fed up? I think I speak
    > for most of us when I say that we are......

    I think we can all see who is the petty instigator of most of the exchanges
    though...

    Rob

    Rob, Mar 7, 2007
  18. On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:26:23 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >>The whole thing costs 19.99gbp per month on its own, or only 5gbp if
    >>you have one of their phone contracts as well. Customers service is no
    >>better than you'd get from from any mobile phone company, but the
    >>service itself has worked very well for me. Faster than either of my
    >>previous broadband services, a download limit of 30GB instead of 3GB,
    >>and a quarter of the price. Others may have had bad luck but I've
    >>encountered nothing to criticise so far.
    >>
    >>Rod.

    >Am I right in thinking that you have to pay ine rental of GBP11 in
    >addition too? Something that is not so with the Talk Talk GBP20 deal.

    Yes, you need a BT line, so there will be rental fee for that, which
    in my case I was paying anyway. I was also paying variable amounts of
    15-20gbp, sometimes a little more, to another ISP for a PAYG broadband
    account which seemed to be limited to about 2Mb/s, but because I
    already had an Orange mobile contract, their broadband service only
    costs 5gbp. It's saving me 10-15gbp per month, and it's faster.

    >Calls with Orange are not free to all countries, just some.

    Individual circumstances will differ of course, but the list seems
    quite long, and I haven't yet needed to phone anywhere that isn't on
    it.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Mar 7, 2007
  19. That Man!

    Guest

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:51:09 -0000, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >"Scope" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You guys are unbeliveble! Dont you ever get fed up? I think I speak
    >> for most of us when I say that we are......

    >I think we can all see who is the petty instigator of most of the exchanges
    >though...

    If you don't like it you know what to do I am not bothered in the
    least .

    , Mar 7, 2007
  20. That Man!

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Scope" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > > No you may not Ivor bout time you recommended a decent
    > > > provider and one that is in THIS country not miles
    > > > away in Europe that provides no means of contact
    > > > except by email .

    > > Right on cue, Ron, well done..! I knew I could depend
    > > on you..! Right, time for the pub :)

    > You guys are unbeliveble! Dont you ever get fed up? I
    > think I speak for most of us when I say that we are......

    Yes I do get fed up, on a daily basis. Blame Ron, he started it and he is
    the only one who can finish it, by never complaining about a company who
    he isn't even a customer of.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 7, 2007