Which widangel zoom for Nikon N80 and Fuji S2 Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Holger Horn, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Holger Horn

    Holger Horn Guest

    Hello !

    I would like to buy a wide angel zoom for two purposes

    - for my Nikon N80 as a strong wide angel, e.g. for landscape
    - for my Fuji S2 Pro to get mor wide angel as with my AF-S 24-85

    At the moment I think of two lenses, a new Nikon 18-35mm vs. a used
    Nikon 2.8 20-35.

    My view at the moment:

    18-35:
    + more wide angel, 28mm (comparable to slide Film) at the S2
    + smaller & lighter
    - not so good image quality at the Fuji S2 Pro (chromatic aberation) ?

    20-35:
    + better image quality (?)
    - less wide angel, 30mm (comparable to slide Film) at the S2
    - heavy and bulky

    What is your opinion/experience with both lenses especially with the S2
    Pro ?

    Thanks from Bremen, Germany

    Holger Horn

    Holger Horn, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Holger Horn

    max Guest

    > I would like to buy a wide angel zoom for two purposes
    >
    > - for my Nikon N80 as a strong wide angel, e.g. for landscape
    > - for my Fuji S2 Pro to get mor wide angel as with my AF-S 24-85
    >
    > At the moment I think of two lenses, a new Nikon 18-35mm vs. a used
    > Nikon 2.8 20-35.
    >
    > My view at the moment:
    >
    > 18-35:
    > + more wide angel, 28mm (comparable to slide Film) at the S2
    > + smaller & lighter
    > - not so good image quality at the Fuji S2 Pro (chromatic aberation) ?
    >
    > 20-35:
    > + better image quality (?)
    > - less wide angel, 30mm (comparable to slide Film) at the S2
    > - heavy and bulky
    >
    > What is your opinion/experience with both lenses especially with the S2
    > Pro ?
    >
    > Thanks from Bremen, Germany
    >
    > Holger Horn

    Hello Holger,
    If 28-30 is wide enough for you either will do, go for the best offer. But why
    a zoom if you allready own the 24-85.. Or go really wide on the S2 with 12-24.
    On the S2 I use a Sigma 14mm and the nikon 17-35, both do very well, but the
    12-24 is tempting.. Oficially Fuji does not support Sigma, but it does work fine.
    -max-

    max, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Holger Horn

    Photon Guest

    Thom Hogan reviewed both lenses. At the end of the 18-35 review page, he
    answers a comment, comparing both lenses:

    http://www.bythom.com/1835lens.htm

    The page ends with "Finally, if you're a D1 user, get the 18-35mm unless
    you absolutely need that extra 1mm of wideness or the f/2.8 aperture. Since
    you're only using the central portion of the lens to resolve images on a D1,
    virtually all of the 18-35mm's slight weaknesses are eliminated."

    That applies to the S2Pro as well as it shares the same crop factor as the
    Nikon DSLRs.

    Photon, Jul 15, 2003
  4. "Holger Horn" <> wrote in message
    > Hello !
    >
    > I would like to buy a wide angel zoom for two purposes
    >
    > - for my Nikon N80 as a strong wide angel, e.g. for landscape
    > - for my Fuji S2 Pro to get mor wide angel as with my AF-S 24-85
    >
    > At the moment I think of two lenses, a new Nikon 18-35mm vs. a used
    > Nikon 2.8 20-35.
    >
    > My view at the moment:
    >
    > 18-35:
    > + more wide angel, 28mm (comparable to slide Film) at the S2
    > + smaller & lighter
    > - not so good image quality at the Fuji S2 Pro (chromatic aberation) ?
    >
    > 20-35:
    > + better image quality (?)
    > - less wide angel, 30mm (comparable to slide Film) at the S2
    > - heavy and bulky
    >
    > What is your opinion/experience with both lenses especially with the S2
    > Pro ?
    >
    > Thanks from Bremen, Germany
    >
    > Holger Horn

    I bought the Nikkor AF-S 12~24mm f4 G (IF) DX. Use it on my Fuji S2 pro and
    very happy with the results I'm getting. See some pics taken with this
    combo at
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~rutlidge/photos/main.html

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Rutlidge, Jul 15, 2003
  5. Holger Horn

    Holger Horn Guest

    Hi Alan,

    thanks for your pictures - looking really great !

    Have you ever tested the 12-24 on a Nikon Film-SLR in the 18-24mm Range ?

    Rumors say that this should work - but I do not know the quality.

    Thanks

    Holger

    Holger Horn, Jul 15, 2003