    If using these routers, what level of encryption would be recommended?

    Thanks
    , Jan 22, 2007

  2. Houston SBC Guest

    In a commercial, high useage environment run from LinkSys. They are OK for
    home, but if you value your job---Don't use them.
    I make more money replacing their products in high useage environments. They
    cost approx $100 and a real Cisco $3000--there is a reason they cost less.

    If most of your clients are MS 2000/XP then the 2003 Server with RRAS is a
    fine solution. I have used the PPTP VPN with no problem. It's easy to setup
    and secure. Now I know this will start a flame but ipsec is just overkill
    and much more complicated.

    If the value of your data is immense, then use ipsec with a certificate
    infrastructure. Otherwise, your wasting money.
    A SSL VPN may also do the trick.

    There is always a trade-off between the value of the data, ease of
    implementation/maintenance, and cost.

    Houston SBC, Jan 25, 2007

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the advice.

    On Jan 25, 9:42 am, "Houston SBC" <>
    wrote:
    > In a commercial, high useage environment run from LinkSys. They are OK for
    > home, but if you value your job---Don't use them.
    > I make more money replacing their products in high useage environments. They
    > cost approx $100 and a real Cisco $3000--there is a reason they cost less.
    >
    > If most of your clients are MS 2000/XP then the 2003 Server with RRAS is a
    > fine solution. I have used the PPTP VPN with no problem. It's easy to setup
    > and secure. Now I know this will start a flame but ipsec is just overkill
    > and much more complicated.
    >
    > If the value of your data is immense, then use ipsec with a certificate
    > infrastructure. Otherwise, your wasting money.
    > A SSL VPN may also do the trick.
    >
    > There is always a trade-off between the value of the data, ease of
    > implementation/maintenance, and cost.
    >
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > We want to setup a VPN. Of these methods listed listed, which is most
    > > secure/stable for running Terminal Server through? Both remote site and
    > > local site have Static IPs from ISP. Assume Linksys routers are
    > > configured properly. THese routers will be used in combination with a
    > > firewall product called Black Ice-though based on recommendation, may
    > > be changed.

    > > 1. Using Windows 2003 Server as VPN Server by configuring RRAS - No
    > > hardward/firewall routers involved.
    > > 2. Using (1) Linksys RV042 router at main site & regular cable router
    > > at remote site.
    > > 3. Using (2) Linksys RV042 routers (1 at each site).

    > > I know this is a pretty general question. But some of our remote users
    > > will not always have an RV042 Router with Static IP as they may be at
    > > home or traveling. The will just have a regular cable/dsl router.

    > > If using these routers, what level of encryption would be recommended?

    > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
    , Jan 26, 2007