    I've seen Vista Ultimate from $179 - $399. I am confused and not sure which
    to buy. I own XP and XP 64 bit and would also like the Vista 64 bit. Thanks
    for any advice.
    Guy Wilson, Nov 8, 2007

  2. There are basically 3 Windows Vista Ultimate.
    1. Retail Full
    2. Retail Upgrade
    3. OEM
    Each package includes one license, you can not install 32 bit and 64
    bit at the same time even though both are in the box.

    Both the retail come with a 32 bit DVD and a 64 bit DVD, 2 DVDs.
    OEM comes with 32 bit or 64 bit, not both.
    Obviously the upgrade needs a qualifying operating system and your
    Windows XP qualifies.

    Also see:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/vistaget.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Nov 8, 2007

  3. Guy Wilson

    Kue2 Guest

    Depends on whether or not you need support from Microsoft.
    I use the OEM version of Vista Ultimate 64.
    No problems except for a graphics driver from Nvidia.
    System otherwise is very smooth.If you go 64 make sure all your devices are
    supported in 64.

    Kue2, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Guy Wilson

    Shelby Rick Guest

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > There are basically 3 Windows Vista Ultimate.
    > 1. Retail Full
    > 2. Retail Upgrade
    > 3. OEM
    > Each package includes one license, you can not install 32 bit and 64 bit
    > at the same time even though both are in the box.

    I currently have XP and XP64 installed on the same computer but on different
    partitions and the reason for that is because I still need to run some
    software with XP 32 because they crash with XP64.

    Are you saying that I will not be able to install the 32 and 64 bit versions
    of Vista in the same fashion on the same computer? Thanks.
    Shelby Rick, Nov 8, 2007
  5. You can install both, but you will need 2 licenses to do so.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Nov 8, 2007
  6. "Thanks
    > for any advice.

    bit torrert ... is your friend.
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlzR3V5?=, Nov 8, 2007
  7. Guy Wilson

    Shelby Rick Guest

    I am confused, if I get the Ultimate package with both 32 and 64 bit Vistas,
    don't I automatically get 2 licences, one for each version?

    Shelby Rick, Nov 9, 2007
  8. No, one license.
    Install one or the other, not both.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Nov 9, 2007
  9. Guy Wilson

    Shelby Rick Guest

    Thanks. As I mentione before, I use XP64 most of the time however, I do
    have to rely on XP32 for some of my programs since they don't run well on
    XP64, programs such as the latest version of Nikon's Picture Project for
    example. Do you think the issues between Vista 64 and 32 will be the same?
    Thanks again.

    Shelby Rick, Nov 9, 2007
  10. Possibly.
    You should contact the manufacturers for their definitive information.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Nov 9, 2007
  11. Guy Wilson

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Shelby.

    As Jupiter said.

    In the Vista Ultimate full retail box, there are TWO DVD-ROMs. One disk is
    for 32-bit, the other is for 64-bit. But there is only ONE sticker in the
    box, with ONE Product Key. You choose ONE of the disks and run Setup from
    it to install ONE version of Vista, supplying that single PK to activate it.

    If you install the 64-bit Vista and later decide to install the 32-bit, too,
    you'll need a second PK. Or reformat the partition where you install x64
    (or remove its entire \Windows folder). Then start from scratch and install
    Vista x86. To activate x86, you may need to phone the 800 number that will
    pop up, to explain that you've deleted the x64. Or vice versa.

    But your worries about running 32-bit software on Vista x64 are probably
    unfounded. During the Vista beta, more and more software vendors made their
    products compatible with Vista - and with 64-bit generally. I wasn't able
    to run Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 on Vista x64 until just about the time
    that Vista "went gold" a year ago. But PSE 4 installed with no significant
    problems in Vista x64; I skipped PSE 5, but PSE 6.0 installed smoothly and
    runs with no problems. (My camera also is a Nikon, a COOLPIX L12. But I
    haven't tried the Nikon software with it. I did load the Nikon software
    with my earlier COOLPIX 3200 and it ran fine, even in the beta of Vista
    x64.)

    The hardware and software makers are finally waking up and smelling the
    64-bit roses. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA