Which version of Photoshop is acceprable ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by holydiver, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. holydiver

    holydiver Guest

    hi All,
    I've been using paintshop pro 8 for about2-3 months now.
    Although I have no major complaints with it, my only gripe is most
    of the plug-ins , actions, tutorial available on the net are for
    photoshop and i haven't been able to figure out the PSP equivalents.
    And working with channels is not as easy as Photoshop.

    I can't afford a photoshop latest version, so i was thinking of buying a
    ver 6 or 7 . how much different are they from the latest version of photoshop.

    I am only interested in digital photography, and not animations and graphics
    other fancy stuff. Would a ver 6 or 7 be a better choice over the latest
    version of paintshop pro, and also what how different is the feature set of
    photoshop's latest ver. as compared to ver 6 or 7 ?

    thanks for sharing your experience
    bhaskar

    holydiver, Sep 2, 2003

  2. holydiver

    Paul Heslop Guest

    holydiver wrote:

    > hi All,
    > I've been using paintshop pro 8 for about2-3 months now.
    > Although I have no major complaints with it, my only gripe is most
    > of the plug-ins , actions, tutorial available on the net are for
    > photoshop and i haven't been able to figure out the PSP equivalents.
    > And working with channels is not as easy as Photoshop.
    >
    > I can't afford a photoshop latest version, so i was thinking of buying a
    > ver 6 or 7 . how much different are they from the latest version of photoshop.
    >
    > I am only interested in digital photography, and not animations and graphics
    > other fancy stuff. Would a ver 6 or 7 be a better choice over the latest
    > version of paintshop pro, and also what how different is the feature set of
    > photoshop's latest ver. as compared to ver 6 or 7 ?
    >
    > thanks for sharing your experience
    > bhaskar

    I used PS4 myself and it's okay, though for some reason it can get a bit
    glitchy on XP. It's mainly down to what you want from a programme but it
    has many of the things the newer versions have. Some programmes that use
    plugins from Photoshop won't accept newer versions, so there's always a
    plus or minus to different versions.
    --
    Paul. (Faces look ugly when you're alone)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Sep 2, 2003

  3. "holydiver" <> wrote in message
    > hi All,
    > I've been using paintshop pro 8 for about2-3 months now.
    > Although I have no major complaints with it, my only gripe is most
    > of the plug-ins , actions, tutorial available on the net are for
    > photoshop and i haven't been able to figure out the PSP equivalents.
    > And working with channels is not as easy as Photoshop.
    >
    > I can't afford a photoshop latest version, so i was thinking of buying a
    > ver 6 or 7 . how much different are they from the latest version of

    photoshop.

    > I am only interested in digital photography, and not animations and

    graphics
    > other fancy stuff. Would a ver 6 or 7 be a better choice over the latest
    > version of paintshop pro, and also what how different is the feature set

    of
    > photoshop's latest ver. as compared to ver 6 or 7 ?
    >
    > thanks for sharing your experience
    > bhaskar

    You want PhotoShop Elements 2.0.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Sep 2, 2003
  4. holydiver

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (holydiver)

    >I can't afford a photoshop latest version, so i was thinking of buying a
    >ver 6 or 7 . how much different are they from the latest version of
    >photoshop.

    Version 7 IS the latest, so forget that. Features in Ver 6 are reasonably
    close to Ver 7, you'll be fine with 6, if you can find someone who'll sell it
    cheaply. Upgrades for earlier non-current versions are usually available cheap
    but aren't usable unless you have bought the full version somewhere along the
    way, so people usually won't sell their legal copy of a full version.

    Bill Hilton, Sep 2, 2003
  5. "holydiver" <> wrote in message
    > hi All,
    > I've been using paintshop pro 8 for about2-3 months now.
    > Although I have no major complaints with it, my only gripe is most
    > of the plug-ins , actions, tutorial available on the net are for
    > photoshop and i haven't been able to figure out the PSP equivalents.
    > And working with channels is not as easy as Photoshop.
    >
    > I can't afford a photoshop latest version, so i was thinking of buying a
    > ver 6 or 7 . how much different are they from the latest version of

    photoshop.

    > I am only interested in digital photography, and not animations and

    graphics
    > other fancy stuff. Would a ver 6 or 7 be a better choice over the latest
    > version of paintshop pro, and also what how different is the feature set

    of
    > photoshop's latest ver. as compared to ver 6 or 7 ?

    You can try Photoshop Elements 2.0 for free:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jhtml#product=40

    Charles Schuler, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Conrad Weiler, Sep 3, 2003

    The answer you need is at http://www.gimp.org/

    David R. Newman, Sep 3, 2003
  8. holydiver

    FOR7b Guest

    >>>I can't afford a photoshop latest version, so i was thinking of buying a
    >>>ver 6 or 7

    >The answer you need is at http://www.gimp.org/

    Good luck trying to get some type of easy automation done with it like
    Photoshops actions or PSP's scripts. You get what you pay for with Gimp. I'd
    recommend Paint Shop Pro 8 or if you are set on Photoshop then sure buy an
    older version if its capabilities suit your purposes. Having the latest
    greatest piece of software isn't necessary.

    FOR7b, Sep 3, 2003
  9. holydiver

    JMac Guest

    You might want to look at Adobe PhotoShop Elements. Comes close to PhotoShop
    at a fraction of the cost and if you decide to move up to full fledged PS
    you're a step ahead on the learning curve. Sure there are differences but
    there are a lot of similarities between the 2 products.

    See a review here; http://www.photographic.com/showarchives.cgi?99

    JMac, Sep 4, 2003
  10. holydiver

    JIM Guest

    "JMac" <> wrote in message
    > You might want to look at Adobe PhotoShop Elements. Comes close to

    PhotoShop
    > at a fraction of the cost and if you decide to move up to full fledged PS
    > you're a step ahead on the learning curve. Sure there are differences but
    > there are a lot of similarities between the 2 products.

    Any problems you aware of if you have PS 6 and load PS Elements 2.0 also?
    What does the Elements 2.0 contain or maybe do easier that would be
    better(?) than PS 6?

    Thanks,

    Jim

    JIM, Sep 4, 2003