    price.

    My thanks to all who offer useful advice.

    , Aug 19, 2007

  2. R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Me.

    All through the Vista beta, I fought with Adobe Photoshop Elements, in both
    32-bit and 64-bit Vista. At first I was using PSE 3.0, but about a year ago
    (June 2006) I got PSE 4 and it worked with 32-bit Vista. But it wasn't
    until about the time that Vista went fully public (1/30/07) that I was able
    to use it with Vista x64. It and Nero 7 were some of the last applications
    to become compatible with Vista x64 - for me, at least.

    But, since early this year, PSE 4.0 has been working well with Vista
    Ultimate x64 for me. ;<)

    I've not tried PSE 5.0.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Guest

    Thank you RC. I'll see if I can find a cheap PSE 4.0 as it will have
    quite enough features for my meager capabilities.

    I'll assume if it works with Vista 64 it will work with XP64.

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:13:59 -0500, "R. C. White" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, Me.
    >
    >All through the Vista beta, I fought with Adobe Photoshop Elements, in both
    >32-bit and 64-bit Vista. At first I was using PSE 3.0, but about a year ago
    >(June 2006) I got PSE 4 and it worked with 32-bit Vista. But it wasn't
    >until about the time that Vista went fully public (1/30/07) that I was able
    >to use it with Vista x64. It and Nero 7 were some of the last applications
    >to become compatible with Vista x64 - for me, at least.
    >
    >But, since early this year, PSE 4.0 has been working well with Vista
    >Ultimate x64 for me. ;<)
    >
    >I've not tried PSE 5.0.
    >
    >RC

    , Aug 20, 2007
  4. Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:17:19 +0100, wrote:

    >Thank you RC. I'll see if I can find a cheap PSE 4.0 as it will have
    >quite enough features for my meager capabilities.
    >
    >I'll assume if it works with Vista 64 it will work with XP64.

    Why don't you try the Gimp? It's free, so can't hurt you. Apparently it has
    a start-up issue with Vista 64. See:
    http://daniel.expdev.net/2006/09/21/windows-vista-and-the-gimp/

    The program itself is at http://www.gimp.org and has a list of features, so
    you can check whether it has everything you need it for.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, Jud. I may well do that.

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:34:18 +0100, Jud Hendrix <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:17:19 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >>Thank you RC. I'll see if I can find a cheap PSE 4.0 as it will have
    >>quite enough features for my meager capabilities.
    >>
    >>I'll assume if it works with Vista 64 it will work with XP64.

    >Why don't you try the Gimp? It's free, so can't hurt you. Apparently it has
    >a start-up issue with Vista 64. See:
    >http://daniel.expdev.net/2006/09/21/windows-vista-and-the-gimp/
    >
    >The program itself is at http://www.gimp.org and has a list of features, so
    >you can check whether it has everything you need it for.
    >
    >jud

    , Aug 21, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Aug 21, 2:43 pm, wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion, Jud. I may well do that.
    >
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:34:18 +0100, Jud Hendrix <> wrote:
    > >On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:17:19 +0100, wrote:

    > >>Thank you RC. I'll see if I can find a cheap PSE 4.0 as it will have
    > >>quite enough features for my meager capabilities.

    > >>I'll assume if it works with Vista 64 it will work with XP64.

    > >Why don't you try the Gimp? It's free, so can't hurt you. Apparently it has
    > >a start-up issue with Vista 64. See:
    > >http://daniel.expdev.net/2006/09/21/windows-vista-and-the-gimp/

    > >The program itself is athttp://www.gimp.organd has a list of features, so
    > >you can check whether it has everything you need it for.

    > >jud

    Just a FYI, GIMP2 uses 8 bits per color, i.e. 24 bits per pixel.
    About the only thing I really like in GIMP is how it adjusts
    perspective.

    There are good free photo editors that run under linux, such as Krita.

    I have had a problem with photoshop under X64 that comes and goes. At
    the moment, photoshop is running fine. For no reason I can determine,
    it gets in a mode where it won't start up. When the program doesn't
    work, I can boot in safe mode and it works.

    I would avoid spending real money on photoshop until it is a true 64
    bit program. If you buy a used copy of photoshop, I'd say get rev 7 or
    higher. The older revs cannot be upgraded to Creative Suite.

    , Aug 22, 2007