Which VAT rates apply?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Joel, Jan 13, 2009.

  1. Joel

    Joel Guest

    From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
    appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
    this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
    applies for customers in the UK?)
    Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
    country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
    Best wishes,
    Joel
    --
    Joel Feinstein
    Nottingham, UK
    Web: http://www.feinst.demon.co.uk/joel.html
    Blog: http://explainingmaths.wordpress.com/

    Joel, Jan 13, 2009

  2. Joel

    george Guest

    Joel a écrit :
    > From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
    > appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
    > this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
    > applies for customers in the UK?)
    > Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
    > country's rate applies to customers in the UK?

    A german 19% VAT rate is charged because Betamax is a german based company.

    george, Jan 13, 2009

  3. Joel

    Joel Guest

    > You pay VAT based on the invoicing country.
    > They don't "charge" in GBP those prices are for reference only. You get
    > charged in Euros and the Credit Card company takes theur bit and gives
    > you a charge after they have converted to ££'s

    Thanks!
    But is voipcheap.co.uk (as opposed to voipcheap.com) an exception to
    this? I had heard that they genuinely do charge in GBP. Is there a
    "Betamax UK" which would charge at UK VAT rate?
    Joel

    Joel, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Joel

    Graham. Guest

    "Joel" <> wrote in message
    > You pay VAT based on the invoicing country.
    > They don't "charge" in GBP those prices are for reference only. You get
    > charged in Euros and the Credit Card company takes theur bit and gives
    > you a charge after they have converted to ££'s

    Thanks!
    But is voipcheap.co.uk (as opposed to voipcheap.com) an exception to
    this? I had heard that they genuinely do charge in GBP. Is there a
    "Betamax UK" which would charge at UK VAT rate?
    Joel
    --
    Joel Feinstein
    Nottingham, UK
    Web: http://www.feinst.demon.co.uk/joel.html
    Blog: http://explainingmaths.wordpress.com/

    I don't think the Top-Level Domain has any bearing on it.

    You have to select your country when you first buy credit.

    Once selected, it cannot be changed, so choose an EU
    country if you want to pay 19%VAT or a non-EU if you
    want to avoid (perhaps that should read evade ;-) )

    Either way there is a 75c handling charge they don't
    tell you about.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 13, 2009
  5. Joel

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Joel <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
    : appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
    : this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
    : applies for customers in the UK?)
    : Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
    : country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
    : Best wishes,
    : Joel

    VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
    is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
    rate will apply.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 13, 2009
  6. Joel

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:45:46 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Joel <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    >reason:
    >: From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
    >: appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
    >: this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
    >: applies for customers in the UK?)
    >: Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
    >: country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
    >: Best wishes,
    >: Joel
    >
    >VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
    >is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
    >rate will apply.

    I think that's correct, but only if the company providing the service
    is based in an EU country. If not, then the rate applied is that of
    the country in which the supplier believes the customer lives.

    I live in Asia and I often buy software online from the US. If I pay
    with a credit card with a UK billing address I get charged VAT at the
    UK rate. In fact I shouldn't be paying any VAT at all as I'm a
    resident of a country outside both the US and the EU.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Joel

    andy Guest

    On 14 Jan, 15:34, Chris Blunt <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:45:46 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >Innews:,
    > >Joel <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    > >reason:
    > >: From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
    > >: appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
    > >: this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
    > >: applies for customers in the UK?)
    > >: Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
    > >: country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
    > >: Best wishes,
    > >:    Joel

    > >VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
    > >is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
    > >rate will apply.

    > I think that's correct, but only if the company providing the service
    > is based in an EU country. If not, then the rate applied is that of
    > the country in which the supplier believes the customer lives.
    >
    > I live in Asia and I often buy software online from the US. If I pay
    > with a credit card with a UK billing address I get charged VAT at the
    > UK rate. In fact I shouldn't be paying any VAT at all as I'm a
    > resident of a country outside both the US and the EU.

    then don't use a UK credit card and a UK address!

    As for people buying Betamax services, I don't know the details, but
    paying from a different territory than the declared account country
    and/or IP address may cause problems with their anti-fraud and fair
    use policies, especially if you try to pay accounts in more than one
    country with the same card

    andy, Jan 15, 2009
  8. Joel

    Graham. Guest

    "andy" <> wrote in message
    On 14 Jan, 15:34, Chris Blunt <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:45:46 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >Innews:,
    > >Joel <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    > >reason:
    > >: From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
    > >: appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
    > >: this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
    > >: applies for customers in the UK?)
    > >: Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
    > >: country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
    > >: Best wishes,
    > >: Joel

    > >VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
    > >is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
    > >rate will apply.

    > I think that's correct, but only if the company providing the service
    > is based in an EU country. If not, then the rate applied is that of
    > the country in which the supplier believes the customer lives.
    >
    > I live in Asia and I often buy software online from the US. If I pay
    > with a credit card with a UK billing address I get charged VAT at the
    > UK rate. In fact I shouldn't be paying any VAT at all as I'm a
    > resident of a country outside both the US and the EU.

    then don't use a UK credit card and a UK address!

    As for people buying Betamax services, I don't know the details, but
    paying from a different territory than the declared account country
    and/or IP address may cause problems with their anti-fraud and fair
    use policies, especially if you try to pay accounts in more than one
    country with the same card

    They reject Paypal payments if you use the same account on
    multiple Betamax clones, there appears no way close a Betamax account.
    This caused me a problem when I wanted to migrate from voipcheap.com
    to smslisto.com.
    A little lateral thinking prompted me to cancel the Paypal account and
    open another, linking the same card. That works fine.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 15, 2009