    electronics?

    Thanks in advance,
    Sharon

    Sharon Ciccio, Aug 17, 2007

  2. Sharon Ciccio wrote:

    > Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:
    >
    > http://www.intomobile.com/2007/05/16/first-image-of-the-new-micro-usb-port.html
    >
    > This means both USB and mini-USB will go away in favor of micro-USB in all
    > portable electronics. That's a good thing. There is nothing bad and
    > everything good from that transition.
    >
    > I never buy any portable electronics device that doesn't run off of USB and
    > neither should you if you care about waste.
    >
    > Sharon

    So, you don't want anyone to buy any equipment that requires more than
    2.5 watts? Nice try.

    prove it.
    Member of DAV #85.

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida

    Michael A. Terrell, Aug 17, 2007

  3. Sharon Ciccio wrote:

    > Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
    > China?
    >
    > http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800238&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS
    >
    > Is it the mini-usb or the micro-usb?
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB_types.jpg
    >
    > While the mini-usb has been around since the USB 2.0 spec, the micro-USB is
    > new in late 2006.
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196801196
    >
    > Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    > electronics?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Sharon

    Too lazy to find the right cable? Plug one of each into a powered USB
    hub, and use whatever fits.

    prove it.
    Member of DAV #85.

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida

    Michael A. Terrell, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Sharon Ciccio

    Eeyore Guest

    Sharon Ciccio wrote:

    > Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
    > China?
    >
    > http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800238&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS

    " The goal is to reduce the number of chargers that are thrown away each year because of cell
    phone upgrades. Nearly 100 million cell phones are replaced every year in China, according to
    MII. "

    WOW !

    A sensible idea. Presumably that means all phones will have a 'universal' power input. What a
    brilliant idea.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Sharon Ciccio

    Guest

    On Aug 17, 4:40 pm, Sharon Ciccio <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
    > China?
    >
    > http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800238&cid=...
    >
    > Is it the mini-usb or the micro-usb?
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB_types.jpg
    >
    > While the mini-usb has been around since the USB 2.0 spec, the micro-USB is
    > new in late 2006.
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=19680...
    >
    > Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    > electronics?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Sharon

    There are more and more STANDARD mini-USB connectors now than ever
    before.
    Different manufacturers are using different standard, whether you like
    it or not.
    There is no such thing as a STANDARD, as you think it, or any
    manufacturer is required to use.

    , Aug 17, 2007
  6. Sharon Ciccio

    Guest

    On Aug 17, 4:40 pm, Sharon Ciccio <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know WHICH standard USB connector is now required by law in
    > China?
    >
    > http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800238&cid=...
    >
    > Is it the mini-usb or the micro-usb?
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB_types.jpg
    >
    > While the mini-usb has been around since the USB 2.0 spec, the micro-USB is
    > new in late 2006.
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=19680...
    >
    > Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    > electronics?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Sharon

    I remmeber you were probably the one who was asking devices using a
    standard mini-USB charger some months ago.
    And you did not get anywhere?
    So you know the answer.

    , Aug 17, 2007
  7. Sharon Ciccio

    Chuck Taylor Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:40:06 GMT, Sharon Ciccio
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    >electronics?

    Politicians have no business legislating the implementation of
    technology. Not that that's ever stopped them before, of course.

    --
    Chuck Taylor
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

    Chuck Taylor, Aug 17, 2007
  8. Sharon Ciccio

    Pegleg Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    >electronics?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Sharon

    When have you ever seen the USA move efficiently/effectively to
    establish "standards"?

    I recall being told in the early fifties that the USA would be fully
    converted to the metric system within 10 years.....................

    Standards in electronics, among other things, are non-existent here.

    Pegleg, Aug 17, 2007
  9. Sharon Ciccio

    Pegleg Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:53:09 +0300, Sharon Ciccio
    <> wrote:

    >Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:
    >
    >http://www.intomobile.com/2007/05/16/first-image-of-the-new-micro-usb-port.html
    >
    >This means both USB and mini-USB will go away in favor of micro-USB in all
    >portable electronics. That's a good thing. There is nothing bad and
    >everything good from that transition.
    >
    >I never buy any portable electronics device that doesn't run off of USB and
    >neither should you if you care about waste.
    >
    >Sharon

    Phfffffffffffffffffffft!
    Self-righteous twit!

    Pegleg, Aug 17, 2007
  10. On Aug 17, 5:53 pm, Sharon Ciccio <> wrote:
    > Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:
    >
    > http://www.intomobile.com/2007/05/16/first-image-of-the-new-micro-usb...
    >
    > This means both USB and mini-USB will go away in favor of micro-USB in all
    > portable electronics. That's a good thing. There is nothing bad and
    > everything good from that transition.
    >
    > I never buy any portable electronics device that doesn't run off of USB and
    > neither should you if you care about waste.
    >
    > Sharon

    I think there IS something bad about the small connectors. There is a
    lot of mechanical strain on those small connectors and they are much
    more likely to suffer from mechanical failure. For equipment that one
    wants to use for many years, I prefer better, larger connectors, even
    ones with a mechanical "latch", like some of the old serial ports like
    the DB9.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Aug 17, 2007
  11. On Aug 17, 8:10 am, Chuck Taylor <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:40:06 GMT, Sharon Ciccio
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    > >electronics?

    > Politicians have no business legislating the implementation of
    > technology. Not that that's ever stopped them before, of course.
    >
    > --
    > Chuck Taylorhttp://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

    I agree, unless the standard has first been called for (isn't that
    what "standard" really means?) by a standards committee of a trade or
    engineering society. But I also agree that those committees are a
    better solution than government legislation. Many of them work quite
    well (SAE, DIN, ISO, EIAA).

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Aug 17, 2007
  12. On Aug 17, 8:20 am, Pegleg <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:40:06 GMT, Sharon Ciccio
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    > >electronics?

    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >Sharon

    > When have you ever seen the USA move efficiently/effectively to
    > establish "standards"?
    >
    > I recall being told in the early fifties that the USA would be fully
    > converted to the metric system within 10 years.....................
    >
    > Standards in electronics, among other things, are non-existent here.

    Not true. There are MANY electronic standards in the US, and they
    work very well. Look at all the RS specs, the EIAA specs, etc.
    Interfaces, both electrical and physical, have lots of specs. In
    virtually every case, I have bought connectors from various companies
    and they mate fine with their counterparts, plugs to jacks, etc. US
    manufacturers do manufacture to international specs such as DIN and
    CAN.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Aug 17, 2007
  13. Sharon Ciccio

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    "Chuck Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Politicians have no business legislating the implementation of
    > technology. Not that that's ever stopped them before, of course.

    I suspect most people would agree that, e.g., the government legislating that
    all outlets in the U.S. have the same form factor and provide the same type of
    electricity (120V AC, 60Hz) is a good thing. There was a time when this
    wasn't the case, and multiple line power standards were in use! (Same with
    phone systems -- there was a time when a company in a big city needed to have
    3 or 4 different phones just to make sure all their customers on different
    companies' loops could contact them...)

    So I can sort of see where the Chinese government is coming from, although
    they might be overdoing things a little. If you only look at cell phones, the
    vast majority are already 5V DC input at 500mA or less, and I suspect that
    converting the rest over to the same standard wouldn't add significant cost.
    They're used in such quantities that they're an obvious choice for
    standadization, but economic forces tend to do that anyway.

    Joel Kolstad, Aug 17, 2007
  14. Sharon Ciccio

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    "Sharon Ciccio" <> wrote in message
    > Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:

    It really doesn't look that much smaller than the mini-USB connector; I'm
    surprised they bothered.

    > I never buy any portable electronics device that doesn't run off of USB and
    > neither should you if you care about waste.

    I care about waste, but I care about functionality too. Power connector alone
    isn't the only factor in buying decisions...

    Joel Kolstad, Aug 17, 2007
  15. Sharon Ciccio

    Chuck Taylor Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:00:12 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
    <> wrote:

    >"Chuck Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> Politicians have no business legislating the implementation of
    >> technology. Not that that's ever stopped them before, of course.

    >I suspect most people would agree that, e.g., the government legislating that
    >all outlets in the U.S. have the same form factor and provide the same type of
    >electricity (120V AC, 60Hz) is a good thing. There was a time when this
    >wasn't the case, and multiple line power standards were in use!

    You mean like way back in 2007?

    >...economic forces tend to do that anyway.

    There ya go!

    Chuck Taylor, Aug 17, 2007
  16. Sharon Ciccio

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Pegleg wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:40:06 GMT, Sharon Ciccio
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    >> electronics?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Sharon

    > When have you ever seen the USA move efficiently/effectively to
    > establish "standards"?
    >
    > I recall being told in the early fifties that the USA would be fully
    > converted to the metric system within 10 years.....................
    >
    > Standards in electronics, among other things, are non-existent here.

    yes, they meant 2060 :)

    Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
    No More Damn Spam: http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

    Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

    USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654

    Sharon Ciccio, Aug 17, 2007
  18. Joel Kolstad wrote:
    > "Sharon Ciccio" <> wrote in message
    >> Here is a photo of the new in 2006 micro-USB connector:

    > It really doesn't look that much smaller than the mini-USB connector; I'm
    > surprised they bothered.

    I think they bothered, just to get a new name, I believe. The mini-USB
    connector is very confusing name since they have two connectors with the
    same name. These days you have to say mini-USB 4 pin or mini-USB 5 pin
    to get the right connector. Hopefully the micro-USB will not splinter
    off. The mico-USB is also supposed to be more rugged and includes a
    friction lock to hold it in better.

    Dale

    --
    _ _ Dale DePriest
    /`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

    Dale DePriest, Aug 18, 2007
  19. Sharon Ciccio

    Matt Ion Guest

    Pegleg wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:40:06 GMT, Sharon Ciccio
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Does anyone know when the USA will enact this sensible law for all portable
    >> electronics?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Sharon

    > When have you ever seen the USA move efficiently/effectively to
    > establish "standards"?
    >
    > I recall being told in the early fifties that the USA would be fully
    > converted to the metric system within 10 years.....................
    >
    > Standards in electronics, among other things, are non-existent here.

    60Hz ring any bells? 88.7-107.7 in increments of 0.2? NTSC maybe?

    How about RJ-11, power outlets, light bulb sockets?

    Matt Ion, Aug 18, 2007