Which ultra-compact has the best video capabilities?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Zen Cohen, Jul 9, 2005.

  1. Zen Cohen

    Zen Cohen Guest

    Hi,

    We have a baby girl so we're taking a lot of photos and video. I have
    gottten a little lazy, though, and end up using my digital camera to take
    movies because our video camera is pretty cumbersome.

    I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera at least 5 mp that takes the
    best video (or movies). Also important are battery life, good LCD, optical
    viewfinder. One that allows you to zoom while shooting the movie would be
    nice, too.

    I'm also wondering if a type of movie is better. Most seem to do mpeg-4 but
    I noticed one (Canon SD400) uses avi.

    Suggestions?

    TIA.

    Zen Cohen, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Zen Cohen

    Fishface Guest

    Zen Cohen wrote:

    > I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera at least 5 mp that takes the
    > best video (or movies). Also important are battery life, good LCD, optical
    > viewfinder. One that allows you to zoom while shooting the movie would
    > be nice, too.

    Ultra compacts tend to have small aperture lenses and anemic flashes.
    Why don't you get something a little bigger, with image stabilization, like
    the Canon S2. I just got a Sony H1, but it doesn't zoom on video. The
    indoor pics are much better than the previous ultra compact. The review
    site www.stevesdigicams.com gives flash range information.

    > I'm also wondering if a type of movie is better. Most seem to do mpeg-4
    > but I noticed one (Canon SD400) uses avi.

    Some DVD players will play the MPEG-4, but if you want to author a
    standard DVD, you'll want MPEG-2, I'll wager.

    Fishface, Jul 10, 2005

  3. I have both a Canon S2 IS and SD400 that I use for taking pictures of my
    grandchildren. Both of these have very good video. The S2 IS is full stereo
    sound, in addition. They are both very good. For a baby, the SD400 would do
    fine. For the older kids, I need the zoom and image stabilizer for their
    activities. So, take it from a Zaida, get the SD400, at least.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Zen Cohen

    Mark² Guest

    "Zen Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a baby girl so we're taking a lot of photos and video. I have
    > gottten a little lazy, though, and end up using my digital camera to take
    > movies because our video camera is pretty cumbersome.
    >
    > I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera at least 5 mp that takes
    > the best video (or movies). Also important are battery life, good LCD,
    > optical viewfinder. One that allows you to zoom while shooting the movie
    > would be nice, too.
    >
    > I'm also wondering if a type of movie is better. Most seem to do mpeg-4
    > but I noticed one (Canon SD400) uses avi.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    My neice just got an SD400. Video produced by it is quite amazing.
    30fps at VGA, and even a special 60fps for capturing super fast motion
    events.
    Look VERY much like video camera quality--all in a teeny tiny package.
    If small is what you're after, I think you'll be hard pressed to beat the
    SD400 (or SD500 or SD300, which all have the same video capability).

    -Mark

    Mark², Jul 10, 2005
  5. Zen Cohen

    Bill KB3GUN Guest

    "David Sommers" <> wrote in message
    >I have both a Canon S2 IS and SD400 that I use for taking pictures of my
    >grandchildren. Both of these have very good video. The S2 IS is full stereo
    >sound, in addition. They are both very good. For a baby, the SD400 would do
    >fine. For the older kids, I need the zoom and image stabilizer for their
    >activities. So, take it from a Zaida, get the SD400, at least.
    >
    > Bye.
    >
    > "Zen Cohen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have a baby girl so we're taking a lot of photos and video. I have
    >> gottten a little lazy, though, and end up using my digital camera to take
    >> movies because our video camera is pretty cumbersome.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera at least 5 mp that takes
    >> the best video (or movies). Also important are battery life, good LCD,
    >> optical viewfinder. One that allows you to zoom while shooting the movie
    >> would be nice, too.
    >>
    >> I'm also wondering if a type of movie is better. Most seem to do mpeg-4
    >> but I noticed one (Canon SD400) uses avi.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    The Minolta Z2 takes great video. I'm sure their newer models are just as
    good.
    -Bill

    Bill KB3GUN, Jul 11, 2005