Which to prefer ..?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pbdelete@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Apr 21, 2006

  2. Pat Guest

    Yes. But it depends on what your criteria are and what your use will
    be.

    Pat, Apr 21, 2006

  3. On 21 Apr 2006 01:54:13 GMT, lid <> wrote:
    > By useing a database of cameras I came up with these:
    >
    > Panasonic FZ7 4390:-
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz7-review/index.shtml
    > Sony H1 3695:-
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_h1-review/index.shtml
    > Sony H2 3995:-
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_h2-review/index.shtml
    > Canon s2is 4390:-
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s2-review/
    > -video codec
    > -1gb video limit
    > -live histogram
    >
    > Any reason to prefer one over another..?

    They're broadly similar models, but differ in the details. Do you want a
    fold-out tilt/swivel LCD? Go with the Canon. Is fast focusing important
    to you? The Panasonic is probably the way to go. Do you have a large
    collection of MemoryStick memory? The Sonys might be best.

    So, what do you want to do with this camera, and what (if any) equipment
    do you already have?

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Apr 21, 2006
  4. Guest

    >They're broadly similar models, but differ in the details. Do you want a
    >fold-out tilt/swivel LCD? Go with the Canon. Is fast focusing important
    >to you? The Panasonic is probably the way to go. Do you have a large
    >collection of MemoryStick memory? The Sonys might be best.

    >So, what do you want to do with this camera, and what (if any) equipment
    >do you already have?

    I think at this stage I want the pure photographic capabilities to be the
    best. Such as noiselevels, lens distortion etc..
    Other stuff I like is remote triggered shot, and subsequent transfer to a pc.
    Infrared remote to trigger shot.

    , Apr 21, 2006
  5. On 21 Apr 2006 02:56:15 GMT, lid <> wrote:
    >>They're broadly similar models, but differ in the details. Do you want a
    >>fold-out tilt/swivel LCD? Go with the Canon. Is fast focusing important
    >>to you? The Panasonic is probably the way to go. Do you have a large
    >>collection of MemoryStick memory? The Sonys might be best.

    >>So, what do you want to do with this camera, and what (if any) equipment
    >>do you already have?

    > I think at this stage I want the pure photographic capabilities to be the
    > best. Such as noiselevels, lens distortion etc..
    > Other stuff I like is remote triggered shot, and subsequent transfer to a pc.
    > Infrared remote to trigger shot.

    Well, the Panasonics have a well-regarded lens. I have an FZ5, the
    predecessor to the FZ7 (which uses the same lens), and it takes clean,
    crisp shots throughout the zoom range. Unfortunately, the Panasonics
    also have a reputation for noisier-than-average sensors, though my
    experience has been that ISO 200 and below are fine.

    Remote triggers, I'm not sure about.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Apr 21, 2006