    Anyone have any recommendations ?

    There are quite a few on ebay, but will they work with cisco stuff?

    Cheers
    boxers999, Apr 5, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    boxers999 <> wrote:
    >I have most or the kit I need to put my lab in the attic. Patch panels
    >& coms cabinet etc. Now I need a cheap terminal server to config my
    >gear.

    >Anyone have any recommendations ?

    How many serial ports? Do you require remove control of power switches,
    and if so how many? Will you be able to hardwire a serial (RS232/RS422)
    line to the terminal server, or should it be network addressible?
    If it is to be network addressible, which level of security do you
    require for the terminal/power server itself? Do you need multiple
    -simultaneous- monitoring channels (e.g., different telnet sessions
    might be active to different devices)?

    When I was investigating, the best price/feature tradeoff I found
    for remote serial + power equipment was from synaccess-net.com,
    but YMMV .
    Walter Roberson, Apr 5, 2006

  3. boxers999

    boxers999 Guest

    Re: Which Terminal Server?

    >How many serial ports? Do you require remove control of power switches,
    >and if so how many? Will you be able to hardwire a serial (RS232/RS422)
    >line to the terminal server, or should it be network addressible?
    >If it is to be network addressible, which level of security do you
    >require for the terminal/power server itself? Do you need multiple
    >-simultaneous- monitoring channels (e.g., different telnet sessions
    >might be active to different devices)?
    >When I was investigating, the best price/feature tradeoff I found
    >for remote serial + power equipment was from synaccess-net.com,
    >but YMMV .

    Yes, I could hard wire a serial line, no problem. Really all I was
    looking for was some way of configuring my 3 routers and 3 switches via
    the console port, from a different location. I will probably need about
    8 serial ports.

    Cheers
    boxers999, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Re: Which Terminal Server?

    Hi,

    You can try xyplex maxserver 1620 or if you need only 8 ports you can
    search for cisco 2509 (2511 for 16 ports). On eBay you can find some
    auctions on these...

    Some links:

    http://www.mrv.com/products/line/inreach.php
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/cis2500/2509/acsvrug/index.htm

    Hope this helps

    Marcial Colomer

    marcial_colomer, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Re: Which Terminal Server?

    In article <>,
    boxers999 <> wrote:
    >Yes, I could hard wire a serial line, no problem. Really all I was
    >looking for was some way of configuring my 3 routers and 3 switches via
    >the console port, from a different location.

    Looking back at some of my documentation, I see that vendors include
    (alphabetical order):

    APC, Clyclades, Dataprobe, Digi International, Lantronix, ServerTech,
    Synaccess Networks

    I remember that there were some others, but somehow I seem to have
    forgotten to Cc: myself on some of the key messages.
    Walter Roberson, Apr 6, 2006