Which teleconverters fit on the Sony F717?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 23, 2004.

  1. I am looking into getting a teleconverter for the camera, so I can take some
    candid shots on the street basically.
    Anything helps, just so I don't have to be so darn close.
    This is the main thing making me want to blow all my monies on the digital
    rebel, even though I still owe on the sony... The extremely limited zoom,
    which makes journalism type shots and candid shots almost not do-able.
    If I were able to work around that, I could definitely wait the 6 months+
    needed to watch what happens with the prices of the current DSLR cameras, as
    well as save some extra money...

    But I digress.

    I looked at a canon once, and at everything but full tele engaged, it left a
    nice circular silhouette around the image.

    I am not interested in the sony "solution", which would cost some where
    around $500 Canadian, while other teleconverters made by others cost
    somewhere around $130-$150 Canadian.

    What fits, what works, and what is to be avoided?

    Thanks alot.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 23, 2004

  2. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    -Gene- Guest

    But, the Sony solution works. $250 US and you have what you want.
    I'm using it on my F828 and I'm very happy with it. I did build a bracket
    to support the extra weight though to protect the manual zoom.
    Gene http://www.photoprojects.net/hgd1758.jpg

    -Gene-, Jan 23, 2004

  3. "-Gene-" <> wrote in message
    > But, the Sony solution works. $250 US and you have what you want.
    > I'm using it on my F828 and I'm very happy with it. I did build a bracket
    > to support the extra weight though to protect the manual zoom.
    > Gene http://www.photoprojects.net/hgd1758.jpg

    Well, the sony store(s) where I live are trying to sell me a converter for
    over $500 Canadian!
    That is definitely not $250 us.

    Regardless, I have a low paying job, and am in a tight budget.
    Thanks (sincerely) for the link, I cant wait to check that out when I get
    home.

    Steve.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 23, 2004
  4. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <dz0Qb.2254$5D.497@clgrps13>,
    "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)" <> wrote:

    > I am looking into getting a teleconverter for the camera, so I can take some
    > candid shots on the street basically.
    > Anything helps, just so I don't have to be so darn close.
    > This is the main thing making me want to blow all my monies on the digital
    > rebel, even though I still owe on the sony... The extremely limited zoom,
    > which makes journalism type shots and candid shots almost not do-able.
    > If I were able to work around that, I could definitely wait the 6 months+
    > needed to watch what happens with the prices of the current DSLR cameras, as
    > well as save some extra money...
    >
    > But I digress.
    >
    > I looked at a canon once, and at everything but full tele engaged, it left a
    > nice circular silhouette around the image.
    >
    > I am not interested in the sony "solution", which would cost some where
    > around $500 Canadian, while other teleconverters made by others cost
    > somewhere around $130-$150 Canadian.
    >
    > What fits, what works, and what is to be avoided?
    >
    > Thanks alot.

    You can't buy aa teleconverter for a fixed lens camera. A teleconverter
    goes between the lens and the camera body. These work with an SLR type
    camera.

    You are looking for a conversion lens. They make tele and wide
    conversion lenses. These screw on to the front of the lens.

    For the Sony you need a 58mm conversion lens.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 23, 2004
  5. "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dz0Qb.2254$5D.497@clgrps13>,
    > "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking into getting a teleconverter for the camera, so I can take

    some
    > > candid shots on the street basically.
    > > Anything helps, just so I don't have to be so darn close.
    > > This is the main thing making me want to blow all my monies on the

    digital
    > > rebel, even though I still owe on the sony... The extremely limited

    zoom,
    > > which makes journalism type shots and candid shots almost not do-able.
    > > If I were able to work around that, I could definitely wait the 6

    months+
    > > needed to watch what happens with the prices of the current DSLR

    cameras, as
    > > well as save some extra money...
    > >
    > > But I digress.
    > >
    > > I looked at a canon once, and at everything but full tele engaged, it

    left a
    > > nice circular silhouette around the image.
    > >
    > > I am not interested in the sony "solution", which would cost some where
    > > around $500 Canadian, while other teleconverters made by others cost
    > > somewhere around $130-$150 Canadian.
    > >
    > > What fits, what works, and what is to be avoided?
    > >
    > > Thanks alot.
    > >

    > You can't buy aa teleconverter for a fixed lens camera. A teleconverter
    > goes between the lens and the camera body. These work with an SLR type
    > camera.
    >
    > You are looking for a conversion lens. They make tele and wide
    > conversion lenses. These screw on to the front of the lens.
    >
    > For the Sony you need a 58mm conversion lens.

    OK.
    Well.
    1. thanks for the tip, however I knew exactly what I was looking for, I
    simply got the terminology wrong.
    2. Do you really think I figure I can take the lens off the camera? Yes, I
    understand it is a fixed lens camera.
    3. Yes, I know it is a 58mm thread. All my other filters are 58mm as well.
    lol.

    Thanks though.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 23, 2004
  6. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Rick Guest

    "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <dz0Qb.2254$5D.497@clgrps13>,
    > "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking into getting a teleconverter for the camera, so I can take some
    > > candid shots on the street basically.
    > > Anything helps, just so I don't have to be so darn close.
    > > This is the main thing making me want to blow all my monies on the digital
    > > rebel, even though I still owe on the sony... The extremely limited zoom,
    > > which makes journalism type shots and candid shots almost not do-able.
    > > If I were able to work around that, I could definitely wait the 6 months+
    > > needed to watch what happens with the prices of the current DSLR cameras, as
    > > well as save some extra money...
    > >
    > > But I digress.
    > >
    > > I looked at a canon once, and at everything but full tele engaged, it left a
    > > nice circular silhouette around the image.
    > >
    > > I am not interested in the sony "solution", which would cost some where
    > > around $500 Canadian, while other teleconverters made by others cost
    > > somewhere around $130-$150 Canadian.
    > >
    > > What fits, what works, and what is to be avoided?
    > >
    > > Thanks alot.
    > >

    > You can't buy aa teleconverter for a fixed lens camera. A teleconverter
    > goes between the lens and the camera body. These work with an SLR type
    > camera.

    Hogwash. E.g. Canon makes a teleconverter for their P&S
    A-series cameras, which attaches to the end of the lens, not
    between the lens and camera body. Search Google for
    "TC-DC52A".

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <buqgha$kve3p$-berlin.de>,
    "Rick" <> wrote:

    > "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <dz0Qb.2254$5D.497@clgrps13>,
    > > "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am looking into getting a teleconverter for the camera, so I can take
    > > > some
    > > > candid shots on the street basically.
    > > > Anything helps, just so I don't have to be so darn close.
    > > > This is the main thing making me want to blow all my monies on the
    > > > digital
    > > > rebel, even though I still owe on the sony... The extremely limited zoom,
    > > > which makes journalism type shots and candid shots almost not do-able.
    > > > If I were able to work around that, I could definitely wait the 6 months+
    > > > needed to watch what happens with the prices of the current DSLR cameras,
    > > > as
    > > > well as save some extra money...
    > > >
    > > > But I digress.
    > > >
    > > > I looked at a canon once, and at everything but full tele engaged, it
    > > > left a
    > > > nice circular silhouette around the image.
    > > >
    > > > I am not interested in the sony "solution", which would cost some where
    > > > around $500 Canadian, while other teleconverters made by others cost
    > > > somewhere around $130-$150 Canadian.
    > > >
    > > > What fits, what works, and what is to be avoided?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks alot.
    > > >

    > > You can't buy aa teleconverter for a fixed lens camera. A teleconverter
    > > goes between the lens and the camera body. These work with an SLR type
    > > camera.

    > Hogwash. E.g. Canon makes a teleconverter for their P&S
    > A-series cameras, which attaches to the end of the lens, not
    > between the lens and camera body. Search Google for
    > "TC-DC52A".
    >
    > Rick

    Yes Rick that is a conversion lens. Not a teleconverter.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 23, 2004