    Nobody wants to share any information... maybe here someone will help.

    Thanks in advance,
    Martin

    Martin Lukasik, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Martin Lukasik <> wrote:
    > I am considering buying some "big buddy", which can do minimum 400-500
    > concurrent calls. And I wonder... would it be better to buy something like
    > Cisco or maybe use Asterisk? I can buy a server with 4, 8 or 12
    > processors, it's not a problem, but just wonder how it would work.

    You don't want one big server, you want loads of small servers so that you
    don't go completely off the air if there's a hardware failure.

    --
    PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key

    Peter Corlett, Feb 13, 2006

  3. > You don't want one big server, you want loads of small servers so that you
    > don't go completely off the air if there's a hardware failure.

    Okay, okay, let's not talk about the obvious things. I DO KNOW that.
    Backup will be in place. Saying "big buddy" I meant something able to handle
    MANY SIP connections at the same time.

    But the thing is -- which way to go...

    m.

    Martin Lukasik, Feb 13, 2006
  4. Martin Lukasik

    alexd Guest

    Martin Lukasik wrote:

    > I am considering buying some "big buddy", which can do minimum 400-500
    > concurrent calls. And I wonder... would it be better to buy something like
    > Cisco or maybe use Asterisk?

    Depends where your expertise lies - if you've been herding Ciscos for many
    years and you have a good relationship with your Cisco vendor [and plenty
    of $ for that matter], that would make most sense. However, if you dream
    kernel .configs in your sleep, then use asterisk.

    How you configure asterisk for a large number of users depends on the
    topology of your network; if they're all on a LAN [or VPN under your
    control], using REINVITEs on the SIP clients will take alot of the load off
    your asterisk server [or any other SIP server for that matter]. On the
    other hand, if you're thinking of having random members of the public
    connecting [ie a Sipgate-style scenario], then it would probably make sense
    to have SER handling some of the load on the front end [as NATed random
    internet clients can't REINVITE and most - if not all - the audio streams
    would end up going through your Asterisk servers], and asterisk servers on
    the back end via some sort of round-robin DNS arrangement.

    Two key points:
    - If you use asterisk with a large number of users, SQL is the best place to
    store config details
    - If you stick to open protocols like SIP, you should be able to use any kit
    with any other, and avoid getting locked in with any particular vendor.

    > I can buy a server with 4, 8 or 12 processors, it's not a problem, but
    > just wonder how it would work.

    I reckon a rack full of dual core machines would be a better bet than one or
    two massive systems with many processors.

    > What would you go for?
    > I know few VoIP providers using Asterisk, I know few using Cisco, I know
    > one using sysmaster.
    > Nobody wants to share any information... maybe here someone will help.

    Yes they do - lurk on the asterisk-users mailing list, for starters. Even
    with a few commodity PCs, you could get a pretty serious test system up and
    running with Asterisk and SER, without too much outlay.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:58:18 up 19 days, 2:16, 4 users, load average: 0.49, 0.21, 0.20

    alexd, Feb 13, 2006
  5. Martin Lukasik

    Chris Hills Guest

    Martin Lukasik wrote:
    > What would you go for?
    > I know few VoIP providers using Asterisk, I know few using Cisco, I know one
    > using sysmaster.
    > Nobody wants to share any information... maybe here someone will help.

    Martin

    The most popular combination seems to be Cisco 2600/3600/3700 series
    with NM-[12]CE1x, and CCM or Asterisk for call routing. There are many
    large institutions in academia that do this. However, Nortel is becoming
    more and more popular.

    Regards

    Chris

    Chris Hills, Feb 16, 2006