    Will only be using it on one PC and his Macbook when around.

    Tks for any tips you have.

    bw
    Billy, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Billy <> wrote:
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Very new to routers/wireless end of the PC experience.
    >
    > I would like to install a router for my XP Serv P2 and Road Runner so
    > that my son can use his Macbook anywhere in the house.
    >
    > 2 simple questions:
    >
    > Which is best bet for me, can't tell by descriptions, so many options
    > it seems.
    >
    > Will only be using it on one PC and his Macbook when around.
    >
    > Tks for any tips you have.
    >
    > bw

    It's hard to answer that based on the info given. Much depends on your
    budget, your skills, and how much area you need to cover (a two story house?
    a loft with a concrete wall room divider?). That said, I think most of the
    home/consumer grade stuff is pretty similar - but I prefer Netgear for
    small/home networks, with Linksys as my second choice.

    The most important thing is to set it up with good security on it - change
    the admin password, enable WPA+PSK, etc.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 24, 2008

  3. Hi
    If the wireless distance is short (20 feet or so) you can go for broke,
    TrendNet Wireless Router $9.99 after rebate,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156038
    Otherwise, More features and and better coverage this, Zyxel 550 -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181218&Tpk=zyxel+550
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 24, 2008
  4. Billy

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Considering your situation (home user, no "special" considerations such as QOS), buy the least expensive name brand unit you can find. Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, Motorola, all are fine. I'd personally avoid the off brands, although I do not strongly disagree with Jack (above) suggesting the TrendNet for $10.

    Also, for the wireless security, open it up and do not use security, I publish my phone number in my SSID. For protection, add a firewall on your computers such as Zone Alarm or some other free firewall. Unfortunately, if someone wants into your network, in most cases the person will be able to get in. Besides, I usually go to coffee shops and use their free wireless.

    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com/
    http://mark.a.satterfield.googlepages.com/
    http://satterfield.890m.com/
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
    MarkSatterfield, Mar 25, 2008
  5. Billy

    Barb Bowman Guest

    if you are ever going to run Vista, don't buy a bargain router that
    may be problematic. select from the list at

    http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductList.aspx?m=v&cid=712&g=d

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Billy

    Billy Guest

    tks everyone appreciate the thoughtful responses. the router will go in a
    bi level home. Will password protect it.

    bye

    bw

    Billy, Mar 25, 2008
  7. Billy

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 25, 7:32 am, "Billy" <> wrote:
    > tks everyone appreciate the thoughtful responses.  the router will go in a
    > bi level home.  Will password protect it.
    >
    > bye
    >
    > bw
    >
    > "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi All:

    > > Very new to routers/wireless end of the PC experience.

    > > I would like to install a router for my XP Serv P2 and Road Runner so that
    > > my son can use his Macbook anywhere in the house.

    > > 2 simple questions:

    > > Which is best bet for me, can't tell by descriptions, so many options it
    > > seems.

    > > Will only be using it on one PC and his Macbook when around.

    > > Tks for any tips you have.

    > > bw- Hide quoted text -

    If you mean that the area will have more than one floor, concentrate
    on 802.11n wireless network. This is the lastest wireless signals and
    offers multi-in / mult-out (MIMO) antenna and the "longest" coverage.
    smlunatick, Mar 25, 2008
  8. Billy

    iPC Guest

    Amen on the N! I'm wifi surfing 400-feet from a Belkin N1 Vision router
    using the Belkin N1 Adapter on one desktop, a hField WiFire on another, and
    the internal adapter on my Toshiba laptop. In fact, just 2 N1 Visions cover
    25 acres and service near 300 with the help of a few wifi repeaters to fill
    in some dark areas. Highspeed wifi for about $10 per year per address.

    iPC, Mar 25, 2008
  9. "iPC" <> wrote in message
    > Amen on the N!

    ....and it will probably become invalid once the N Standard is ratified.

    N has not been "finished",...but the world of "marketing" is just
    capitalizing on people's impatients and selling products with a half-baked
    semi-proprietary standards in order to make $$$$,...knowing that the same
    people may have to re-buy all their products again after the standard is
    ratified unless a firware update takes care of it.

    Also N is not going to do you that much good unless you buy N Adapters in
    the PCs from the same manufacturer of the as the "router". Most likely the
    adapter in the PCs is currently "G/B" adapters.

    Buy a G "router" at half the price. Tilt one of the antennas so the the
    *side* of the antenna is facing the general direction of the PC on the other
    Floor. When the N standard is ratified,...then replace everything at that
    time and you will only have to do it once.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Mar 25, 2008
  10. Billy

    Barb Bowman Guest

    actually the folks at Wi-Fi org are certifying draft 2.0 N devices
    for interop. so (and this is from personal experience) there is
    interoperability between different chipsets/vendors.

    lots of laptops are now coming with b/g/n or a/b/g/n adapters.

    and while there is no guarantee that certified draft 2.0N devices
    will be upgradeable to the final standard, by the time the standard
    is ratified (it keeps getting pushed out) today's computers will
    probably be obsolete.

    Barb Bowman, Mar 25, 2008
  11. Yes, well computer years are like "dog years"...

    But I'm still not going to touch N until it is finished. Then I won't have
    to worry about what they will do,..not do,...or almost kinda do.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Mar 25, 2008
  12. Billy

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 25, 12:27 pm, "Phillip Windell" <>
    wrote:
    > Yes, well computer years are like "dog years"...
    >
    > But I'm still not going to touch N until it is finished. Then I won't have
    > to worry about what they will do,..not do,...or almost kinda do.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message

    > > actually the folks at Wi-Fi org are certifying draft 2.0 N devices
    > > for interop. so (and this is from personal experience) there is
    > > interoperability between different chipsets/vendors.

    > > lots of laptops are now coming with b/g/n or a/b/g/n adapters.

    > > and while there is no guarantee that certified draft 2.0N devices
    > > will be upgradeable to the final standard, by the time the standard
    > > is ratified (it keeps getting pushed out) today's computers will
    > > probably be obsolete.

    > > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:51:58 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>Also N is not going to do you that much good unless you buy N Adapters in
    > >>the PCs from the same manufacturer of the as the "router".  Most likely
    > >>the
    > >>adapter in the PCs is currently "G/B" adapters.

    > >>Buy a G "router" at half the price.  Tilt one of the antennas so the the
    > >>*side* of the antenna is facing the general direction of the PC on the
    > >>other
    > >>Floor.  When the N standard is ratified,...then replace everything at that
    > >>time and you will only have to do it once.

    > > --

    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS-MVP
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    > >http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/- Hide quoted text -

    802.11n wireless signals have a standard now.
    smlunatick, Mar 25, 2008
  13. Hi
    The first thing that comes in my mind when dealing with Draft-N whether it
    is really needed. Most of End-Users are mainly using the Internet with their
    Wireless Routers, and have connections bellow 10Mb/sec.
    If it is really needed then Go ahead buy one, otherwise wasting away money
    just because it is fashionable? Nah!
    The Router that I linked above cost $9.99 after rebate, and thousands of
    users can enjoy it and would no the difference between the $9,99 and a $100
    (or more) Drat-N.
    Disclaimer - I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers, or
    and, the vendors that I mention in my links.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 25, 2008
  14. Billy

    iPC Guest

    We were looking for a router with the broadest coverage capable of
    propagating a signal well through 100-foot trees over a couple dozen acres.
    After a month of experimenting, and now 8 months experience, I can tell you
    that N-Draft 2 works. And it does G better than G does.

    With 2 Belkin N1 Visions in weatherproof housings up 20-feet, we cover a
    couple dozen acres and most everyone connects without problem. I've seen
    over 70 computers on the two towers streaming simultaneously without a
    hiccup. We've since added Belkin Range Extenders mainly to better move the
    signal from some individual computers to the towers... wifi is two-way radio
    after all.

    Submitted a proposal to the members and it passed resoundingly. Donations
    covered all the equipment and collapsible tower manufacturing totaling maybe
    $1700. And now nearly 300 residence get up to 5Mbps business DSL for about
    $10 per year ... yes, per year. With a wide variety of machines and wifi
    adapters, do we have problems? Sometimes. But usually a quick
    tower/repeater/computer reboot solves the woe. Works for us.

    iPC, Mar 25, 2008
  15. Billy

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 25, 3:44 pm, "iPC" <> wrote:
    > We were looking for a router with the broadest coverage capable of
    > propagating a signal well through 100-foot trees over a couple dozen acres..
    > After a month of experimenting, and now 8 months experience, I can tell you
    > that N-Draft 2 works. And it does G better than G does.
    >
    > With 2 Belkin N1 Visions in weatherproof housings up 20-feet, we cover a
    > couple dozen acres and most everyone connects without problem. I've seen
    > over 70 computers on the two towers streaming simultaneously without a
    > hiccup. We've since added Belkin Range Extenders mainly to better move the
    > signal from some individual computers to the towers... wifi is two-way radio
    > after all.
    >
    > Submitted a proposal to the members and it passed resoundingly. Donations
    > covered all the equipment and collapsible tower manufacturing totaling maybe
    > $1700. And now nearly 300 residence get up to 5Mbps business DSL for about
    > $10 per year ... yes, per year. With a wide variety of machines and wifi
    > adapters, do we have problems? Sometimes. But usually a quick
    > tower/repeater/computer reboot solves the woe. Works for us.
    >
    > "Phillip Windell" <> wrote in message

    > > "iPC" <> wrote in message
    > >> Amen on the N!

    > > ...and it will probably become invalid once the N Standard is ratified.

    > > N has not been "finished",...but the world of "marketing" is just
    > > capitalizing on people's impatients and selling products with a half-baked
    > > semi-proprietary standards in order to make $$$$,...knowing that the same
    > > people may have to re-buy all their products again after the standard is
    > > ratified unless a firware update takes care of it.

    > > Also N is not going to do you that much good unless you buy N Adapters in
    > > the PCs from the same manufacturer of the as the "router".  Most likely
    > > the adapter in the PCs is currently "G/B" adapters.

    > > Buy a G "router" at half the price.  Tilt one of the antennas so the the
    > > *side* of the antenna is facing the general direction of the PC on the
    > > other Floor.  When the N standard is ratified,...then replace everything
    > > at that time and you will only have to do it once.

    > > --
    > > Phillip Windell
    > >www.wandtv.com

    > > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > > Microsoft,
    > > or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.

    The main reason that N is able to do G better than G hardware is the
    fact that multi-in / multi-out (MIMO) antennas is part of the
    requirements. MIMO antennas hhave better signal ranges.
    smlunatick, Mar 26, 2008
  16. Billy

    iPC Guest

    And man, are we enjoying it!

    iPC, Mar 26, 2008
  17. Amen to that, Jack!

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Mar 26, 2008
  18. On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:32:52 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    <> wrote:

    >802.11n wireless signals have a standard now.

    Not really. There's a draft 802.11n standard, but it isn't final, and
    it could change. There's no guarantee that 802.11n equipment that you
    buy today will work with the final version of the standard.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd, Mar 29, 2008