Which router for VLANS

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Lars Christensen, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. "slipstream_242" <> wrote in

    > I want to setup vlan routing for a test lab at home and found that
    > none of the routers I have at the moment support encapsulation on the
    > Ethernet port. I suspect this is because they are Ethernet and not
    > fast Ethernet?
    >
    > Anyone out there who can make a suggestion to which router would be
    > best but I`m not after the all singing all dancing variety as I`m on a
    > tight budget
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    Hey Gordon

    Have you tried to use subinterfaces, like ethernet0.1?

    Cheers Lars

    slipstream_242, Jul 19, 2004

  3. In article <QfYKc.1963$>,
    slipstream_242 <> wrote:
    :Yes, I have configured sub interfaces but doesn't allow me to specify ISL or
    :Dot1q. I think the contributory factor is that the Ethernet port is not fast
    :Ethernet?

    Contributory, but not absolute limitation. *Some* of the Cisco routers
    allow you to do 802.1Q on 10 Mb, if you have the appropriate hardware/
    software combination. Not just on "10/100" boards, either: I mean on
    boards that are strictly 10 Mb.

    Looking through the list quickly, it appears that you need something
    in the 12.2(8)* series as a minimum, that support is available even
    in the IP feature set, and the 1700 series looks to be about the smallest
    device it would work on.
    --
    And the wind keeps blowing the angel / Backwards into the future /
    And this wind, this wind / Is called / Progress.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Lars Christensen

    stephen Guest

    "slipstream_242" <> wrote in message
    > I want to setup vlan routing for a test lab at home and found that none of
    > the routers I have at the moment support encapsulation on the Ethernet

    port.
    > I suspect this is because they are Ethernet and not fast Ethernet?
    >
    > Anyone out there who can make a suggestion to which router would be best

    but
    > I`m not after the all singing all dancing variety as I`m on a tight budget

    cheapest one i know of is the 1721 (for 802.1q rather than ISL). Note it
    only seems to work on the built in 10/100 port - the 4 port switch module
    doesnt like 802.1q.

    depending on the s/w verson, you may need IOS plus

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Jul 19, 2004
  5. slipstream_242 wrote:

    > ok, Thanks. I have ISO 12.2(5)D so I guess I shall need to look for the
    > later version?
    >
    > The routers I have at the moment are the 2610 and a couple of 2503s.

    Forget the 2503s. The 2610 will do 802.1Q as of IOS 12.2(15)T9 (ED
    release), 12.2(24a) (GD release) IP Plus feature set.

    Look at http://www.cisco.com/go/fn (the Feature Navigator) for things
    like this. Needs a CCO login, but no special access.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Jul 19, 2004
  6. Yes, I have configured sub interfaces but doesn't allow me to specify ISL or
    Dot1q. I think the contributory factor is that the Ethernet port is not fast
    Ethernet?

    If I try to configure sub interfaces it tells me that they can only be
    configured if they are part of an ISL or Dot1q protocol which is being used
    but the protocol is not available on the Ethernet port.

    slipstream_242, Jul 19, 2004
  7. ok, Thanks. I have ISO 12.2(5)D so I guess I shall need to look for the

    slipstream_242, Jul 20, 2004