Which router do I use?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by notkailen, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. notkailen

    notkailen Guest

    I have installed a T3 in our new office and while it is in the test
    environment I have it on a Cisco 2620 Router /32MB. I can get the T3 to
    about 40% before the router overloads and starts dropping a ton of
    packets. I knew I would need to get a new router to use the full T3 but
    I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions from sales people.

    My original plan was to use a Cisco 2851 and use the T3 a T1 and 1FastE
    port. There will only be static routing so there will be little
    overhead. If a T3 is about 80K PPS and the 2851 is rated at 250K PPS
    then I should be able to use the 2851 at full speed and even add
    another T3 when necessary as long as I don't plan to use the router
    for anything else. But every Cisco rep I have spoken to tells me I need
    a 3800 series and that if I don't get a 3845 I'm asking for trouble.

    If the 2620 gets me almost half way and routers have improved
    significantly since then why can't I just use the 2851?

    Is this a lot of Sales FUD or am I missing something here?

    Thanks,

    notkailen, Nov 17, 2005

  2. notkailen

    Brian V Guest

    "notkailen" <> wrote in message
    >I have installed a T3 in our new office and while it is in the test
    > environment I have it on a Cisco 2620 Router /32MB. I can get the T3 to
    > about 40% before the router overloads and starts dropping a ton of
    > packets. I knew I would need to get a new router to use the full T3 but
    > I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions from sales people.
    >
    > My original plan was to use a Cisco 2851 and use the T3 a T1 and 1FastE
    > port. There will only be static routing so there will be little
    > overhead. If a T3 is about 80K PPS and the 2851 is rated at 250K PPS
    > then I should be able to use the 2851 at full speed and even add
    > another T3 when necessary as long as I don't plan to use the router
    > for anything else. But every Cisco rep I have spoken to tells me I need
    > a 3800 series and that if I don't get a 3845 I'm asking for trouble.
    >
    > If the 2620 gets me almost half way and routers have improved
    > significantly since then why can't I just use the 2851?
    >
    > Is this a lot of Sales FUD or am I missing something here?
    >
    > Thanks,

    The PPS in the spec's are NOT a full size data packet. I believe they
    base it on around an 80bit packet.
    You should use a minimum of a 3800.

    Brian V, Nov 17, 2005

  3. notkailen

    Guest

    Brian V a écrit :

    > "notkailen" <> wrote in message
    > >I have installed a T3 in our new office and while it is in the test
    > > environment I have it on a Cisco 2620 Router /32MB. I can get the T3 to
    > > about 40% before the router overloads and starts dropping a ton of
    > > packets. I knew I would need to get a new router to use the full T3 but
    > > I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions from sales people.
    > >
    > > My original plan was to use a Cisco 2851 and use the T3 a T1 and 1FastE
    > > port. There will only be static routing so there will be little
    > > overhead. If a T3 is about 80K PPS and the 2851 is rated at 250K PPS
    > > then I should be able to use the 2851 at full speed and even add
    > > another T3 when necessary as long as I don't plan to use the router
    > > for anything else. But every Cisco rep I have spoken to tells me I need
    > > a 3800 series and that if I don't get a 3845 I'm asking for trouble.
    > >
    > > If the 2620 gets me almost half way and routers have improved
    > > significantly since then why can't I just use the 2851?
    > >
    > > Is this a lot of Sales FUD or am I missing something here?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > The PPS in the spec's are NOT a full size data packet. I believe they
    > base it on around an 80bit packet.
    > You should use a minimum of a 3800.

    it's 64bits packets

    , Nov 17, 2005
  4. notkailen

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Brian V a écrit :
    >
    > > The PPS in the spec's are NOT a full size data packet. I believe they
    > > base it on around an 80bit packet.

    > it's 64bits packets

    64 byte packets, surely.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Nov 17, 2005
  5. notkailen

    thatoneguy Guest

    Have to agree min. of a 3800. I would recommend a 3845 for a DS3.

    thatoneguy, Nov 18, 2005