Which replacement digital camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SS, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. SS

    SS Guest

    Yes I know there are reviews but I am now down to the 'shortlist' and need
    advice/help/users.

    I am really after a good point and shoot but would prefer some manual
    controls if possible. My main wish is to get very finely detailed shots with
    good colour and sharp focus. If purple fringing is minimal so much the
    better and also as little 'noise' as possible. Finally a fairly wide angle
    field of view prefered for those indoor and group shots. 6-7 mpx will be
    adequate I reckon and as good as 35mm for detail when considering film grain
    effect from ISO 200/400

    Probably top of my list is the Fuji Finepix F10 which has some cracking
    reviews. Second will be the Sony DSC-P200 and third the Sony DSC-W7. Next
    but probably too bulky would be the Canon G6 and the Sony DSC-V3. I reckon
    the F10 will win but all advice welcome.

    Current camera is the Traveler DC-6300 from Aldi (probably a Toshiba). It
    has its moments but also produces some crap blue tinted pictures and weird
    burn out colours round clouds (most of the time) - thank goodness for the 12
    months no quibble return policy!
    SS, Oct 3, 2005

  2. SS

    clw Guest

    In article <zth0f.12727$>,
    "SS" <> wrote:

    > I am really after a good point and shoot but would prefer some manual
    > controls if possible. My main wish is to get very finely detailed shots with
    > good colour and sharp focus. If purple fringing is minimal so much the
    > better and also as little 'noise' as possible. Finally a fairly wide angle
    > field of view prefered for those indoor and group shots. 6-7 mpx will be
    > adequate I reckon and as good as 35mm for detail when considering film grain
    > effect from ISO 200/400

    I am very happy with a Canon PowerShot S 60. Its current successor
    might be worth a look.
    --
    Panta rei
    clw, Oct 3, 2005

  3. SS

    Lin Chung Guest

    SS wrote:
    > ...point and shoot ...some manual controls...finely detailed shots
    > ...good colour....sharp focus...purple fringing is minimal...
    > ...little 'noise' as possible...fairly wide angle...6-7 mpx...
    > ...film grain effect from ISO 200/400
    > Fuji Finepix F10
    > Sony DSC-P200
    > Sony DSC-W7.
    > Next...too bulky...Canon G6...Sony DSC-V3.

    Current models meeting your requirements:
    1) Canon S70 - Much venerated Sony 7.1MP CCD at its best;
    2) Panasonic LX1 - Much maligned noise not unlike "film grain effects";
    3) Ricoh GX8- Low light capability as Fuji F10, Sunday Times 2005-07-31;
    4) Ricoh R2.
    Coming (pending verification of good image quality):
    1) Canon S80;
    2) Fuji F11 - Zoom starts from 36mm;
    3) Leica D-LUX 2
    4) Ricoh DX Digital - Fixed 28mm;
    5) Samsung x50xx - 28mm zoom but manual control limited.

    · SLR-like compacts have been excluded.
    · The Sunday Times article requires a subscription for viewing.
    · Professional review links can be sourced, not exhaustively,
    from this 'matrix': http://www.photoxels.com/reviews-matrix.html
    and from http://www.dcviews.com/

    My current favourite is Ricoh GX8. To appreciate the power of this tiny
    camera, take a look at John Bean's offerings in his latest gallery. The
    link is in his signature.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1001&thread=15045138

    --
    Lin Chung
    [Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].
    Lin Chung, Oct 4, 2005