    sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
    hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

    Steve Silverman

    Steve Silverman, Jun 24, 2006

  2. On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:21:18 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Steve Silverman"
    <> wrote:

    >As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
    >which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
    >converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
    >sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
    >hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

    You might just find one size does not fit all and use more than one given
    the specific circumstances.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jun 24, 2006

  3. Steve Silverman

    Dmac Guest

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:21:18 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Steve Silverman"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
    >>which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
    >>converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
    >>sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
    >>hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

    > You might just find one size does not fit all and use more than one given
    > the specific circumstances.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    Ed's right. Rawshooter doesn't develop Canon images with any noise in
    them anywhere near as well as Photoshop does. Photoshop doesn't handle
    some types of OFF colour images like fluro light stuff as well as
    Canon's own DPP developer.

    It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
    us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
    thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!

    --
    From Douglas...
    My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au

    Dmac, Jun 24, 2006
  4. "Dmac" <> wrote in message

    > It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
    > us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
    > thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!

    Sorry. You mean people here aren't telepathic? :)

    I'm using a Nikon D50

    Steve Silverman

    Steve Silverman, Jun 24, 2006
  5. On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:21:18 +0100, "Steve Silverman"
    <> wrote:

    >As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
    >which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
    >converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
    >sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
    >hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.
    >
    >Steve Silverman

    ACR, why complicate your workflow?
    --

    "One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.
    One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.

    "Sweet Banana"
    Battle hymm of the Rhodesian African Rifles

    John A. Stovall, Jun 24, 2006
  6. Steve Silverman

    [BnH] Guest

    I use Pixmantex RS Premium to process my ORF and they are much faster +
    display more accurate tone compared to the ACR.

    For my NEFs I also use Nikon Capture as my camera is not supported by the RS
    :)

    [BnH], Jun 24, 2006
  7. Steve Silverman

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Steve Silverman wrote:
    > As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
    > which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
    > converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
    > sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
    > hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

    My advice is to use one of them until you understand all the options
    (ie, how to set white balance, adjust exposure, remove tints, sharpen
    etc) ... then pick some representative images, get free downloads of
    the converters you're interested in, decide how you want to compare
    them and convert in each, then compare the images side by side.

    To me the four things I compared closely were how easy it was to look
    at many hundreds of images, how easy to get the best color, how much
    detail was in the fine-detailed areas and how smooth the demosaicing in
    the smooth toned areas like out of focus backgrounds.

    I tested four converters (Capture One, RawShooterEssentials, Photoshop
    CS RAW and the Canon supplied software) and would rank them in that
    order (ie, Capture One first, Photoshop 3rd etc). To me Capture One
    and RSE are clearly better than Photoshop, which was clearly better
    than the Canon software. YMMV depending on what's important to you,
    the types of images you are converting and how you use the default
    settings but to me there's nothing like direct comparisons of the same
    image converted with different programs.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 24, 2006
  8. Steve Silverman

    Rich Guest

    Steve Silverman wrote:
    > "Dmac" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
    > > us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
    > > thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!
    > >

    > Sorry. You mean people here aren't telepathic? :)
    >
    > I'm using a Nikon D50
    >
    > Steve Silverman

    Of course no one is talking about "default" converter settings. Some
    of them
    are terrible when just the default setting is used, some are excellent.
    For instance, for Olympus, the free "Silkypix" converter is superior in
    default mode
    to the very expensive "Capture One" converter. Once you start using
    the controls
    though, things can change. You'd have to systematically use a few of
    them on varying
    shots to determine what provides the best overall conversion. Expect
    to be at it
    for about a few weeks...

    Rich, Jun 24, 2006
  9. Steve Silverman

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Steve Silverman says...
    > As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
    > which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
    > converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
    > sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
    > hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

    There is also Bibble, which offers tons of controls. Actually almost too
    many controls for my tastes.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jun 24, 2006
  10. Steve Silverman

    tomm42 Guest

    Steve Silverman wrote:
    > "Dmac" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
    > > us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
    > > thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!
    > >

    > Sorry. You mean people here aren't telepathic? :)
    >
    > I'm using a Nikon D50
    >
    > Steve Silverman

    Both Adobe RAW and Nikon Capture work well with Nikon Images, Raw
    Shooter Essentials and runs on computers that would have problems
    running Photoshop (Elements 4). But the simplification of work flow
    helps, I like Adobe Bridge to Adobe Raw to Photoshop. Nikon Capture has
    a plug in for Photoshop too. I have some problems with RSE, just an
    interface thing as I have been using PS for 10 years. The latest and
    greatest is supposed to be Nikon Capture NX, but it is vapor wear util
    the end of the summer. I know Canon users that swear by Phase One
    Capture 1, but not many Nikon users.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jun 24, 2006
  11. Steve Silverman

    carl Guest

    Nikon Capture NX
    coming soon

    carl, Jun 25, 2006
  12. Bill Hilton wrote:

    >>Steve Silverman wrote:
    >>As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
    >>which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
    >>converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
    >>sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
    >>hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

    > My advice is to use one of them until you understand all the options
    > (ie, how to set white balance, adjust exposure, remove tints, sharpen
    > etc) ... then pick some representative images, get free downloads of
    > the converters you're interested in, decide how you want to compare
    > them and convert in each, then compare the images side by side.
    >
    > To me the four things I compared closely were how easy it was to look
    > at many hundreds of images, how easy to get the best color, how much
    > detail was in the fine-detailed areas and how smooth the demosaicing in
    > the smooth toned areas like out of focus backgrounds.
    >
    > I tested four converters (Capture One, RawShooterEssentials, Photoshop
    > CS RAW and the Canon supplied software) and would rank them in that
    > order (ie, Capture One first, Photoshop 3rd etc). To me Capture One
    > and RSE are clearly better than Photoshop, which was clearly better
    > than the Canon software. YMMV depending on what's important to you,
    > the types of images you are converting and how you use the default
    > settings but to me there's nothing like direct comparisons of the same
    > image converted with different programs.
    >
    > Bill

    I agree with Bill. I also find that which converter produces
    the best results is dependent on the image and what I want to get
    out of the image. I also see artifacts from all converters.
    For example, in one image of a lorikeet (a bird) I had all the
    above converters produce a horizontal & vertical grid pattern
    in the bird's feathers. The canon converter did the best job
    regarding that problem (but other parts of the image the other
    converters did better). I ended up having to smooth out the
    raster pattern. In other cases, I have found none of the
    converters above did well on a high dynamic range image, e.g.
    documented at:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/raw.converter.shadow.detail

    So, I suggest getting more than one converter and on your best
    images experimenting with all to produce the best result.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 25, 2006