    Nicholas B.

    --
    Email Powered By www.IDWS.com

    Guest, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Guest

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <cr98s0$m5i$>,
    <> wrote:
    >Greetings
    >
    >I would like to ask this group what would be the best non-US commercial
    >encryption product to buy for E-mail, file/folder, and HD security.
    >
    >There are so many products out there promising security that it really
    >becomes a matter of consumer overload.
    >
    >Any pointers would be appreciated
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Nicholas B.

    I'll assume you're talking about Windows and more specifically
    2k, 2k3, or XP.

    Communications privacy and storage privacy are different things
    requiring different products (although some software providers
    have products for each purpose). Communications encryption
    requires some degree of savvy by your recipients as well!

    For storage there are several approaches:

    1. File by file (sometimes including whole folders) but
    *not* OTFE (on the fly encryption). Examples are Windows EFS and
    Winrar (not to be sneezed at since it has so many other uses - be
    sure to use rar format which has strong encryption rather than
    zip). Many weaknesses primarily associated with deleted images
    and other "leakage."

    2. Container-file or whole partition encryption, usually
    OTFE using strong algorithms (e.g., AES). Many manufacturers
    have good products (Bestcrypt, Drivecrypt, etc.) but only one is
    both open-source and free and its features and stability rank
    with the best: Truecrypt (truecrypt.sourceforge.net or
    www.truecrypt.tk)

    3. Full HD OTFE encryption - everything encrypted including
    the OS etc. - no chance of leakage but backups are essential for
    recovery in case anything goes wrong (usually right at the
    beginning due to operator error or unfamiliarity with the
    program!). Once installed, full HD programs are usually very
    stable and using them is a breeze. Unfortunately, no open-source
    (but one free: Compusec). Several manufacturers provide good
    products: DCPP, Safeboot Solo (now unavailable), Pointsec,
    Utimaco Safeguard, Winmagic, Compusec, etc.

    As for communication encryption, it is usually not just a matter
    of encryption but also of messing with traffic hiding & anonymity
    (mixmaster, JBN or quicksilver, etc.) . However, if just
    encryption is all you want then several programs (including
    those from untrustworthy MS) have it natively. Or, for
    light-duty use, don't sneer at using winrar and encrypted
    attachments. But, if you want more, then PGP is the gold
    standard for encrypted communications (BTW they are promising a
    full HD encryption product "real soon now"). Get used to
    educating your recipients on managing keys, etc. :)
    (Seriously, encrypted communications, despite their importance,
    have never taken off - except for geeks - due to the complexity.)

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <AvWBd.665068$Pl.650336@pd7tw1no>, nemo (nemo outis) wrote:

    I'll condense: start with Truecrypt (expand from there if you
    need more and as your knowledge grows).

    Regards,

    ..

    nemo outis, Jan 2, 2005