    (about $350 US I think)

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    John
    John, Jan 14, 2004

  2. John

    Night_Seer Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
    > what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?
    >
    > I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
    > photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
    > your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
    > doesn't cost the world.
    >
    > As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
    > (about $350 US I think)
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > John

    I personally have an Epson Stylus Photo R300, and I love it (there
    is a R300M version that comes with an LCD screen, for true no computer
    printing). It does everything your looking for (including printing to
    injet printable CD's). It also has a 6 in 1 card reader built in. I
    have printed plenty of 4x6 photos, and it integrates nicely with my
    Epson Precision scanner. It uses 6 colors, for better colors in prints
    and cheaper cartridges (about 12 to 13 dollars each). Others here have
    recomended HP's, and though I haven't used one personally at home, at
    work we have a large format HP printer that works great, and I would
    assume that quality would carry over to smaller models. I still haven't
    seen an HP that prints CD's though, but I haven't really been looking
    anymore.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004

  3. John

    ??? Guest

    When looking at printers there are a couple of things to keep in mind. I
    would only get a printer with individual inks. Never get a printer with a
    black cartridge an a color cartridge. If you run out of cyan you would have
    to toss all the colors even if they are full. The really good color printers
    will have cyan,magenta,yellow,photo cyan,photo magenta,photo yellow, and
    black. I would also look ta the printer cartidges, do they have heads built
    into the cartridge? If so, then that is another big plus. The print will
    only be as good as the head, if the head gets a plugged jet then all the
    prints will suffer.I do like epson but I really like canon.

    When you get a printer, never and I mean never, let the printer sit for
    extended periods of time without printing. The ink will dry out in the heads
    making it almost impossible to clean. I usually print a self test page every
    week or so (two max).

    ???, Jan 15, 2004
  4. John

    Wizard Guest

    Always HP. The most reliable and you get new jets with each ink
    cartridge

    Wizard, Jan 15, 2004
  5. John

    chuckie® Guest

    Personally, I prefer HP, however, my daughter is stuck on Epson. Therefore, I would say both are
    probably quite good for your purposes. All you need to do is find one that fits your specific needs
    and price...luck...

    chuckie®, Jan 15, 2004
  6. John

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:22:01 +0000, John <> wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
    >what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?
    >
    >I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
    >photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
    >your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
    >doesn't cost the world.
    >
    >As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
    >(about $350 US I think)
    >
    >Thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    >John

    Canon.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Jan 16, 2004
  7. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

    In the past I've used HP and Canon inkjets, however I've always wanted
    to get an Epson because I thought the specs always seem to be the
    best.

    I did a little research and read a couple of documents at Toms
    Hardware as well as other places, and compared several different
    printers, and the general gist that I got was that Canon are the best
    at the moment, well for the printer price range I was looking at
    anyway.

    The main points I picked up on all three printers were as follows:

    HP:

    + Best aesthetically, quiet printing. Great print resolutions.

    - Ink carts more expensive than Canon and Epson.

    Canon:

    + Very Fast printing times, cheapest ink of all three. Quiet printing.
    Prints on CDRs.

    - Not as good looking aesthetically. Ink bleeds.

    Epson:

    + Best for Photos. Ink comes out dry and doesn't smudge. Cheap ink
    carts. Prints on CDRs.

    - Default printing mode quality is poor. When quality is increased to
    match same standards as Canon and HP default modes, printing speeds
    work out really slow. A noisy printer. Will tell you ink has run out
    halfway through a job when there is still plenty left, and it wont let
    you resume the job even if you put a new cart in.

    Well I've been most critical of the Epson going on what I've read,
    however the big factor for me though is the ability to print direct
    onto CDRs, as well as having the ink come out dry and not smudging. I
    also would like to print top quality photos. It looks like I will be
    going with Epson at the moment even though I'd prefer a quieter
    printer. The Canon would sound like the best bet though for me if it
    wasn't for the ink bleeding into the paper, and the HP is just out of
    the question going by the overall cost charts I've seen.

    I was going to go for the Stylus Photo 950, but I think the R300M
    looks fantastic, costs less, and is just as good, so I might end up
    going with that one now instead.

    John
    John, Jan 16, 2004
  8. John

    Night_Seer Guest

    John wrote:
    > Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
    >
    > In the past I've used HP and Canon inkjets, however I've always wanted
    > to get an Epson because I thought the specs always seem to be the
    > best.
    >
    > I did a little research and read a couple of documents at Toms
    > Hardware as well as other places, and compared several different
    > printers, and the general gist that I got was that Canon are the best
    > at the moment, well for the printer price range I was looking at
    > anyway.
    >
    > The main points I picked up on all three printers were as follows:
    >
    > HP:
    >
    > + Best aesthetically, quiet printing. Great print resolutions.
    >
    > - Ink carts more expensive than Canon and Epson.
    >
    > Canon:
    >
    > + Very Fast printing times, cheapest ink of all three. Quiet printing.
    > Prints on CDRs.
    >
    > - Not as good looking aesthetically. Ink bleeds.
    >
    > Epson:
    >
    > + Best for Photos. Ink comes out dry and doesn't smudge. Cheap ink
    > carts. Prints on CDRs.
    >
    > - Default printing mode quality is poor. When quality is increased to
    > match same standards as Canon and HP default modes, printing speeds
    > work out really slow. A noisy printer. Will tell you ink has run out
    > halfway through a job when there is still plenty left, and it wont let
    > you resume the job even if you put a new cart in.
    >
    > Well I've been most critical of the Epson going on what I've read,
    > however the big factor for me though is the ability to print direct
    > onto CDRs, as well as having the ink come out dry and not smudging. I
    > also would like to print top quality photos. It looks like I will be
    > going with Epson at the moment even though I'd prefer a quieter
    > printer. The Canon would sound like the best bet though for me if it
    > wasn't for the ink bleeding into the paper, and the HP is just out of
    > the question going by the overall cost charts I've seen.
    >
    > I was going to go for the Stylus Photo 950, but I think the R300M
    > looks fantastic, costs less, and is just as good, so I might end up
    > going with that one now instead.
    >
    > John

    That's the one I suggested. I haven't seen an actual review on Tom's
    hardware of the R300, but I know exactly which review you are referring
    to, and I seem to remember it being for a lower model than the R300.
    This sucker is very quiet, seems to print nice at regular output (though
    I don't get as thorough as Tom does), and I haven't gotten to the bottom
    of my ink yet, but so far no problems. The printer would be even
    cheaper without the "M" which refers to a 100 dollar LCD screen added on
    to the printer to allow you to print from memory cards or cameras, and
    see them on the screen.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 19, 2004