    I want to try and cure a problem with someone elses system, but I need a
    little advice on ports. Thanks

    James Fisher

    James Fisher, Jul 3, 2005

  2. On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:46:25 +0100, "James Fisher"
    <> wrote:

    >I want to try and cure a problem with someone elses system, but I need a
    >little advice on ports.

    sipgate says :-

    You must also forward the following ports on your router.
    Port 5060 TCP and UDP
    Port 5004 UDP
    Port 10000 UDP (sipgate Stun service - usually 3478/9)
    Ports 16348-32768 UDP (RTP, RTCP multimedia streaming)

    though I think STUN normally operates on TCP and UDP port 3478

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !

    Phil Thompson, Jul 3, 2005

  3. James Fisher

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    None!

    STUN ensures that your phone opens ports as it needs them. You should not
    need to open ANY ports yourself.

    Of course this all changes if you're providing the SIP service yourself
    (i.e. not using SIPGate or other such service). In this case, post a
    response and we can talk some more.

    Paul DS

    Paul D.Smith, Jul 4, 2005
  4. On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:13:36 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >STUN ensures that your phone opens ports as it needs them. You should not
    >need to open ANY ports yourself.

    do you need to forward the incoming SIP port at the device, or does
    STUN resolve that too when the phone registers.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 4, 2005
  5. James Fisher

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:13:36 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >STUN ensures that your phone opens ports as it needs them. You should

    not
    > >need to open ANY ports yourself.

    > do you need to forward the incoming SIP port at the device, or does
    > STUN resolve that too when the phone registers.

    STUN, and the help of the proxy/registrar at your SIP provider should do
    everything for you. For example, I've used both "Ineen" and "X-Lite with
    Free World Dial-up" via a DG384G with all ports blocked without any problems
    or need to open ports.

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Jul 4, 2005
  6. James Fisher

    James Fisher Guest

    > On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:46:25 +0100, "James Fisher"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to try and cure a problem with someone elses system, but I need a
    >>little advice on ports.

    > sipgate says :-
    >
    > You must also forward the following ports on your router.

    > Port 5060 TCP and UDP
    > Port 5004 UDP

    You don't happen to know what the above ports are for do you Phil? It's
    just out of interest really.... You labelled the ones below, just wondered
    what these ones above were for?

    Someone also advised me to open ports:

    '4800 - 5300 (TCP/UDP)'

    and ports '8000 - 8012 (TCP/UDP)'

    Do you have any idea what these are supposed to be open for either?

    James Fisher

    James Fisher, Jul 4, 2005
  7. On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:14:20 +0100, "James Fisher"
    <> wrote:

    >You don't happen to know what the above ports are for do you Phil? It's
    >just out of interest really.... You labelled the ones below, just wondered
    >what these ones above were for?

    the 5060 port is the SIP session control port. It then opens other
    ports for the streams of voice data. I think suppliers and/or devices
    differ in their choice of port ranges to use for the voice streams,
    these are the high numbered ones AIUI.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 4, 2005
  8. James Fisher