    Also, what are the notable security threats?

    _____
    DC G
    DC Gringo, Dec 3, 2003

  2. DC Gringo

    Sean Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:49:12 +0000, DC Gringo wrote:

    > On a small Win2k network protected by Cisco Pix 500 series firewall, I'm
    > thinking thinking about implementing a temporary Windows VPN solution until
    > we have our Cisco VPN set up.
    >
    > What ports in and out ports do I need to open on the firewall?
    >
    > Also, what are the notable security threats?
    >
    > _____
    > DC G

    1723
    Sean, Dec 3, 2003

  3. DC Gringo

    Vinny Abello Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:22:38 -0900, Sean <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:49:12 +0000, DC Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> On a small Win2k network protected by Cisco Pix 500 series firewall, I'm
    >> thinking thinking about implementing a temporary Windows VPN solution until
    >> we have our Cisco VPN set up.
    >>
    >> What ports in and out ports do I need to open on the firewall?
    >>
    >> Also, what are the notable security threats?
    >>
    >> _____
    >> DC G

    >1723

    Well, if you're talking about PPTP it's 1723 and that's TCP. You also
    need to pass GRE otherwise known as protocol 47.

    You might be doing IPSec over L2TP though... totally different.
    Vinny Abello, Dec 4, 2003
  4. DC Gringo

    Sean Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:49:45 -0500, Vinny Abello wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:22:38 -0900, Sean <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:49:12 +0000, DC Gringo wrote:
    >>
    >>> On a small Win2k network protected by Cisco Pix 500 series firewall, I'm
    >>> thinking thinking about implementing a temporary Windows VPN solution until
    >>> we have our Cisco VPN set up.
    >>>
    >>> What ports in and out ports do I need to open on the firewall?
    >>>
    >>> Also, what are the notable security threats?
    >>>
    >>> _____
    >>> DC G

    >>1723

    > Well, if you're talking about PPTP it's 1723 and that's TCP. You also
    > need to pass GRE otherwise known as protocol 47.
    >
    > You might be doing IPSec over L2TP though... totally different.

    True, but if you just want a quick and dirty, hold me over, then just use
    pptp. That's what most people use when they think Microsoft VPN.
    But you are correct, depending on the solution, you may have to open other
    ports/protocols.
    Sean, Dec 5, 2003
  5. DC Gringo

    koifish24

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    koifish24

    If you want to connect from the outside to the vpn server, you have to open port 1723, 47, 50, and 500 and all ports can be tcp and udp. This should work if you setup your vpn server with a static ip address.
    koifish24, Nov 9, 2007