Which ports to forward on my linksys to cisco

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Wayne Rasmussen, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    My office has a cisco router which has been setup to allow VPN
    connections. This has been working for 4+years.

    At home, I have a router from Adelphia which works for connecting
    through vpn to my office using a Windows 2000 PC with the MS vpn client
    software.

    I just purchased a Linksys router (Model BEFSR41) so that I can have a
    number of PCs and servers setup in my home which can connect to the
    internet. I am using static IPs internally due to Sun Servers and not
    really interested in doing DHCP with those.

    Everything seems to be working except with the VPN connection to work.
    It times out with error 651: Your modem (or other connecting device) has
    reported an error. I tried forwarding ports 1-65536 to this PC with both
    udp and tcp and it still gets the same error.

    Does anyone know how I can determine the speicfic ports which need to be
    forwarded? Also, just in case someone asks, the office is not using a
    Windows server to control the vpn access, it is all on the router.

    As a test, I changed the PC back to DHCP and moved the network cable
    from the linksys to adelphia's router and the VPN connection still works.

    Thanks

    Wayne Rasmussen, Feb 21, 2007

  2. In article <>,

    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/f2deeb3fbdf19fea

    Walter Roberson, Feb 22, 2007

  3. Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Wayne Rasmussen <> wrote:
    >

    >>My office has a cisco router which has been setup to allow VPN
    >>connections. This has been working for 4+years.

    >>I just purchased a Linksys router (Model BEFSR41)

    >>Everything seems to be working except with the VPN connection to work.
    >>It times out with error 651: Your modem (or other connecting device) has
    >>reported an error. I tried forwarding ports 1-65536 to this PC with both
    >>udp and tcp and it still gets the same error.

    >>Does anyone know how I can determine the speicfic ports which need to be
    >>forwarded?

    > http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/f2deeb3fbdf19fea

    Thanks!

    Wayne Rasmussen, Feb 23, 2007