  1. Which incoming ports are used for VOIP? Which outgoing ports? is UDP
    enough (at least for the incoming ports) or does one need TCPIP for
    anything?

    Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply, Apr 19, 2006

  2. "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply" <>
    wrote in message news:e259ka$6nu$...
    > Which incoming ports are used for VOIP? Which outgoing ports? is UDP
    > enough (at least for the incoming ports) or does one need TCPIP for
    > anything?

    SIP itself requires port 5060 to be open (if you have multiple devices they
    may use port 5061, etc). The RFC states that TCP or UDP may be used, but I
    have never seen anything coming in on the TCP port (which is open, but
    logged, on my firewall).

    The call audio will then use RTP which is on hardware(and/or
    configuration)-dependant UDP ports. For example my Sipura SPA-3000 uses
    ports 16384-16482 (which is the default configuration for this model).

    Hope this helps,
    --
    Thomas Sandford

    Thomas Sandford, Apr 20, 2006