Which ports are used ? How can i monitor that.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by jayjwa, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. jayjwa

    jayjwa Guest

    Qshiva wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application uses
    > which ports on my machine.
    >
    > Can someone advise me on this ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Shiva

    I'm assuming you're on Win32 if you're asking this, Unix/Linux has
    Netstat -ap

    3DTraceRoute, hands down! I can't remember where I got it, but its
    freeware; shows connections, does Ping's, traceroute's (with lovely Open
    GL graphics, no less), has a webbrowser built-in, Telnet built-in, can
    find out which version of a webserver is running, and do port-scans too.
    I archived it and it's on my FTP server as 3D_tracert.exe, together with
    a couple firewalls to close up those ports you're going to find open...

    --
    --------------nonoffensive sig.v2.2RC2?------------------------
    - jayjwa 4 Spammers: mailto:

    Qshiva, Oct 2, 2003

  3. jayjwa

    donutbandit Guest

    "Qshiva" <> wrote in

    > I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application uses
    > which ports on my machine.

    It's already there. Netstat.

    donutbandit, Oct 2, 2003
  4. jayjwa

    blkjak Guest

    "Qshiva" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application uses
    > which ports on my machine.
    >
    > Can someone advise me on this ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Shiva

    do a search for a program called TCPview

    blkjak

    blkjak, Oct 2, 2003
  5. jayjwa

    Lord Shaolin Guest

    Qshiva <> randomly produced:

    :: Dear Group,
    ::
    :: I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application
    :: uses which ports on my machine.
    ::
    :: Can someone advise me on this ?
    ::
    :: Thanks in advance.
    ::
    :: Regards,
    :: Shiva

    Google fport or Activeports.

    Netstat will tell you what ports are being used as other people said, but it
    wont tell you WHAT is using them as you asked unless you are using Windows
    XP.

    HTH

    ST

    --
    Get your Geek Goodies!
    http://shop.security-forums.com

    ..: http://www.security-forums.com :.

    Share your knowledge
    It's a way to achieve
    Immortality.

    Lord Shaolin, Oct 3, 2003
  6. jayjwa

    Chuck Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:13:28 +0200, "Qshiva" <> wrote:

    >Dear Group,
    >
    >I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application uses
    >which ports on my machine.
    >
    >Can someone advise me on this ?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Shiva

    Port Explorer ( http://diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/ ).

    Chuck

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

    Chuck, Oct 3, 2003
  7. jayjwa

    Mimic Guest

    "Qshiva" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application uses
    > which ports on my machine.
    >
    > Can someone advise me on this ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Shiva

    netstat -ano
    tasklist /svc -fi "pid eq X"

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Look at
    http://www.foundstone.com/index.htm....htm&subcontent=/resources/proddesc/fport.htm

    Its a tool to map open ports to process on your machine. It's free.

    Neil Moore-Smith, Oct 3, 2003
  9. jayjwa

    WBG Guest

    Great software for that

    Active Ports: readme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Program information
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Program Archive Name:
    aports.zip
    Program Name:
    Active Ports
    Program Version:
    1.4
    Program Release Date:
    June 19, 2002
    Target OS:
    Windows NT/2000/XP
    Program Description:
    Shows all open TCP/IP and UDP ports
    Software type:
    Freeware

    Company information
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Company Name:
    SmartLine Inc.
    Author Name:
    Ashot Oganesyan K.
    Contact WWW URL:
    http://www.ntutility.com

    Description
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

    Active Ports - easy to use tool that enables you to monitor all open
    TCP/IP
    and UDP ports on the local computer. Active Ports maps ports to the
    owning
    application so you can watch which process has opened which port. It
    also
    displays a local and remote IP address for each connection and allows
    you
    to terminate the owning process. Active Ports can help you to detect
    trojans
    and other malicious programs.

    ATTENTION TO DEVELOPERS: if you would like to be able to display
    opened
    TCP/IP and UDP ports in your application, you can purchase the Active
    Ports
    programming interface (API). You can use API with any programming
    language
    (such as Visual C++, Visual Basic, Delphi) that supports DLLs
    contains one function: AllocateAndGetPortsMappingInfo.
    To purchase API, please contact Ashot Oganesyan
    ().

    License agreement
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Active Ports is FREEWARE.

    This license agreement is a legal agreement between you (either
    an individual or a single entity) and and the author of this
    software package.

    By installing or otherwise using this software you agree to be
    bound by this agreement.

    If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement,
    you may not install or use this software.

    You may install and use an unlimited number of
    copies of this software on your computers.

    The author will not make available Technical Support for this
    Software. The author may, from time to time, revise or update
    the Software. In so doing, the author incurs no obligation to
    furnish such revision or updates to you.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS DISTRIBUTED "AS IS". NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND
    IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. YOU USE RTM AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE
    AUTHOR WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DATA LOSS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF
    PROFITS OR ANY OTHER KIND OF LOSS WHILE USING OR MISUSING THIS
    SOFTWARE.

    Installation
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Important! If you've got Active Ports not from our web page, but from
    the other source (magazine CD or some software library), please visit
    our home page - you'll probably find the later version.

    To install and use Active Ports you MUST have administrative
    privileges.

    To install Active Ports you should run the "setup.exe" and follow
    the instructions.

    Copyright(c) 2001-2002
    SmartLine Inc.
    All rights
    reserved.

    WBG, Oct 4, 2003
  10. jayjwa

    Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.os.security Qshiva <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application uses
    > which ports on my machine.

    man lsof

    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

    Volker Birk, Oct 4, 2003
  11. jayjwa

    Mimic Guest

    "Volker Birk" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.os.security Qshiva <> wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application uses
    > > which ports on my machine.

    > man lsof

    he's using windows, somehow i dont think unix commands are gunna work.

    Mimic, Oct 6, 2003
  12. jayjwa

    Lord Shaolin Guest

    Mimic <> randomly produced:

    :: "Volker Birk" <> wrote in message
    :: news:blmi4g$g05$03$-online.com...
    ::: In alt.os.security Qshiva <> wrote:
    :::: I'm looking for a software tool so I can monitor which application
    :::: uses which ports on my machine.
    :::
    ::: man lsof
    ::
    ::
    :: he's using windows, somehow i dont think unix commands are gunna
    :: work.
    ::

    Aww don't be hard on him, some l33t people can't read headers..

    ;)

    ST

    Lord Shaolin, Oct 6, 2003
  13. jayjwa

    Mimic Guest

    Mimic, Oct 6, 2003
  14. jayjwa

    Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.os.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > he's using windows, somehow i dont think unix commands are gunna work.

    OK. Perhaps he better would have written that.

    A look at the utilities on www.sysinternals.com could be a good idea
    for Windows-Users who search for such a tool.

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Oct 7, 2003
  15. jayjwa

    > In alt.os.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > > he's using windows, somehow i dont think unix commands are gunna work.

    > OK. Perhaps he better would have written that.

    Or purhaps you should of checked, considering a substantial proportion of
    the population run windows.

    > A look at the utilities on www.sysinternals.com could be a good idea
    > for Windows-Users who search for such a tool.

    a basic understanding of the windows OS would suffice, you dont need any
    third party s/w

    Mimic, Oct 7, 2003
  16. jayjwa

    Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > Or purhaps you should of checked, considering a substantial proportion of
    > the population run windows.

    How could I check that, sugar?

    I'm working with Linux, Windows, OSX, HPsUX, Slowlaris and some others,
    what can you read in this header? OSX? And if I ask for a tool, can you
    imagine for what OS?

    The header gives a tip on which OS the newsreader runs. That's it.

    >> A look at the utilities on www.sysinternals.com could be a good idea
    >> for Windows-Users who search for such a tool.

    > a basic understanding of the windows OS would suffice, you dont need any
    > third party s/w

    You mean netstat -ao I guess - I prefer TCPView, TDImon and netstatp.
    So what?

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Oct 7, 2003
  17. jayjwa

    > In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > > Or purhaps you should of checked, considering a substantial proportion

    of
    > > the population run windows.

    > How could I check that, sugar?

    Well, firstly you look at the header, it says MSOE, thats a windows app.
    Secondly you take into account the majority of people use windows, then you
    take into account the amount of people that would run MSOE over nix et al is
    excessively low, and thus come to the conclusion that he is infact running
    windows. Its not hard, he asked for a way to see what apps are using what
    ports, you seem to find it necessary to turn every post into a complex
    display of how you think youre better than everyone else.

    > >> A look at the utilities on www.sysinternals.com could be a good idea
    > >> for Windows-Users who search for such a tool.

    > > a basic understanding of the windows OS would suffice, you dont need any
    > > third party s/w

    > You mean netstat -ao I guess - I prefer TCPView, TDImon and netstatp.
    > So what?
    >
    > VB.

    So what? having trouble with the english language ? Your preferences have
    nothing to do with the fact i stated you dont need 3rd party software to
    accomplish the task.

    Mimic, Oct 8, 2003
  18. jayjwa

    Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.os.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > Your preferences have
    > nothing to do with the fact i stated you dont need 3rd party software to
    > accomplish the task.

    For he was writing "monitoring", TDImon would be the better choice.

    I do not share your opinion about "if someone asks a question, scan
    the headers of her/his posting for finding out information she/he
    did not mention, and try to guess what she/he really wanted".

    I think, if somebody wants to get a sensible answer, she/he has to
    try to ask sensible questions - and to tell the master conditions
    she/he has to handle with.

    BTW, was it really Windoze for that case? Hello? Are we disputing
    alone meanwhile? ;-)

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Oct 8, 2003
  19. jayjwa

    Trevor Guest

    Shiva,
    try LanGuard
    Thanks, Trevor

    Trevor, Aug 13, 2004
  20. Trevor wrote:

    > Shiva,
    > try LanGuard
    > Thanks, Trevor

    "netstat -an" in UNIX and I think it is the same in Windoze. As far as
    monitoring it, I am not sure. You mean have some software monitor it for
    you? Maybe tell you when a new port is opened?

    Michael J. Pelletier, Dec 11, 2004