    Pixideal.ca. www.pixideal.ca They really have the best price in Canada
    and they also offre free shipping.

    Chuck
    Ericsson, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Ericsson

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 16, 6:32 pm, Ericsson <> wrote:
    > I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide which one
    > but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm going to get it at
    > Pixideal.ca.www.pixideal.caThey really have the best price in Canada
    > and they also offre free shipping.
    >
    > Chuck

    Moron. I thought you said Kodak garbage was the best?
    Rich, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Ericsson

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:32:46 -0700, Ericsson wrote:

    > I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide which one
    > but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm going to get it at
    > Pixideal.ca. www.pixideal.ca They really have the best price in Canada
    > and they also offre free shipping.
    >
    > Chuck

    Best for what? My criteria included portability, high magnification for
    wildlife photos, ability to save as raw as well as jpg. For me, the best
    solution was the Kodak P850 - YMMV.
    ray, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Ericsson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ericsson wrote:
    > I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide which one
    > but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm going to get it at
    > Pixideal.ca. www.pixideal.ca They really have the best price in Canada
    > and they also offre free shipping.
    >
    > Chuck

    What is 'best' is mostly dependent on what your own needs, and desires
    are. I don't see how you can be disappointed in your choice, however,
    unless your expectations are downright unreasonable.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Ericsson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 6:32 pm, Ericsson <> wrote:
    >> I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide which one
    >> but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm going to get it at
    >> Pixideal.ca.www.pixideal.caThey really have the best price in Canada
    >> and they also offre free shipping.
    >>
    >> Chuck

    > Moron. I thought you said Kodak garbage was the best?

    Some of us have open minds about our product selections, rather than
    parroting the opinions of others, or rejecting an option due to elitist
    posturing.
    He selected what he thought would do the best job for him, at the best
    price. I can't fault that.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Ericsson

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:52:22 -0700, Rich wrote:

    > On Aug 16, 6:32 pm, Ericsson <> wrote:
    >> I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide which one
    >> but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm going to get it at
    >> Pixideal.ca.www.pixideal.caThey really have the best price in Canada
    >> and they also offre free shipping.
    >>
    >> Chuck

    > Moron. I thought you said Kodak garbage was the best?

    As a matter of fact, a Kodak P850 was the best choice for me last fall - I
    am completely satisfied. BTW - this is my second Kodak digital camera - I
    still have the 1mp DC210+ I bought quite a number of years ago - and it
    still takes fine pictures.
    ray, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Ericsson

    Rob-L Guest

    That was spam in disguise.

    -------
    Rob-L, Aug 17, 2007
  8. Ericsson

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Ericsson added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    > I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide
    > which one but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm
    > going to get it at Pixideal.ca. www.pixideal.ca They really
    > have the best price in Canada and they also offre free
    > shipping.
    >
    > Chuck

    What criteria do you want people to use to judge what only you
    know, which is "what is best?". Best as in cheapest, best as in
    smallest, best as in most megapixels, best as in most features,
    best as in image quality, best in what? There are literally
    hundreds of digitals on the market from ultra-compacts to pro-grade
    DSLRs. You'll have to provide at least some hint of what you're
    trying to do, what your budget is, and what constraints are driving
    your purchase decision.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Aug 17, 2007
  9. Ericsson

    GregS Guest

    In article <Xns998F56EA87F00ReplyScoreID@216.168.3.30>, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:
    >Ericsson added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    >
    >> I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide
    >> which one but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm
    >> going to get it at Pixideal.ca. www.pixideal.ca They really
    >> have the best price in Canada and they also offre free
    >> shipping.
    >>
    >> Chuck
    >>

    >What criteria do you want people to use to judge what only you
    >know, which is "what is best?". Best as in cheapest, best as in
    >smallest, best as in most megapixels, best as in most features,
    >best as in image quality, best in what?

    Probably everything

    I guess tow main creteria, physical size, and price, performance comes in
    third.

    When I shopped for my last camera, I wanted a fairly small, medium priced,
    high resolution. I always use Imaging Resource website to look at the
    resolution tests using pictures and templates. You can see exactly what camera
    has better resolution. I don't know of other websites that offer this.
    Well, I bought my Minolta F300 several years ago. There were not much better
    PS cameras around back then. I was satisfied.

    I still use my Canon A20 often, especially with the wide adaptor.

    greg

    GregS, Aug 17, 2007
  10. ray <> wrote:

    > As a matter of fact, a Kodak P850 was the best choice for me last fall - I
    > am completely satisfied. BTW - this is my second Kodak digital camera - I
    > still have the 1mp DC210+ I bought quite a number of years ago - and it
    > still takes fine pictures.

    I love how the lens extends every time you power the LCD ;-) In all honesty,
    we actually liked our 3MP Kodak, which was our first digital camera [which has
    since bit the dust ... unknown electronic issues with the cpu or firmware].

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
    machinations of the wicked.
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 17, 2007
  11. Ericsson

    GregS Guest

    In article <fa4rp6$ce2$>, (GregS) wrote:
    >In article <Xns998F56EA87F00ReplyScoreID@216.168.3.30>, "HEMI-Powered"
    > <> wrote:
    >>Ericsson added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    >>
    >>> I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide
    >>> which one but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm
    >>> going to get it at Pixideal.ca. www.pixideal.ca They really
    >>> have the best price in Canada and they also offre free
    >>> shipping.
    >>>
    >>> Chuck
    >>>

    >>What criteria do you want people to use to judge what only you
    >>know, which is "what is best?". Best as in cheapest, best as in
    >>smallest, best as in most megapixels, best as in most features,
    >>best as in image quality, best in what?

    >Probably everything
    >
    >I guess tow main creteria, physical size, and price, performance comes in
    >third.
    >
    >When I shopped for my last camera, I wanted a fairly small, medium priced,
    >high resolution. I always use Imaging Resource website to look at the
    >resolution tests using pictures and templates. You can see exactly what camera
    >has better resolution. I don't know of other websites that offer this.
    >Well, I bought my Minolta F300 several years ago. There were not much better
    >PS cameras around back then. I was satisfied.
    >
    >I still use my Canon A20 often, especially with the wide adaptor.

    I wanted to get a rough indication of how my Minolta F300 compared to Canon
    710 in resolution. using Imaging Resource gallery, the BW test pattern shows
    my Minolta 5MP equal or slightly better in vertical resoution, but the 7MP
    canon has better horizontal resolution.

    I found that interesting.

    greg

    GregS, Aug 17, 2007
  12. Ericsson

    Nushar Guest

    GregS <> wrote:

    : Probably everything... I guess tow main creteria, physical size,
    : and price, performance comes in third.

    As was stated by someone in another thread, it is probably deliberate
    that no camera is offered with all the desirable features. That way
    consumers are never completely satisfied with one camera, are likely to
    buy more for "different occasions", will be more amenable to upgrade,
    etc.

    Be that as it may, you really have to be more specific. You probably
    don't want a $9.95 camera the size of a quarter even if one is
    available at the local drug store. :) There is no substitute for
    knowing the market, handling the cameras, and making as well
    communicating informed preferences.

    --
    Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)
    Nushar, Aug 17, 2007
  13. Ericsson

    GregS Guest

    In article <fa4u0c$d26$>, (GregS) wrote:
    >In article <fa4rp6$ce2$>, (GregS)
    > wrote:
    >>In article <Xns998F56EA87F00ReplyScoreID@216.168.3.30>, "HEMI-Powered"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>Ericsson added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >>>What criteria do you want people to use to judge what only you
    >>>know, which is "what is best?". Best as in cheapest, best as in
    >>>smallest, best as in most megapixels, best as in most features,
    >>>best as in image quality, best in what?

    >>Probably everything
    >>
    >>I guess tow main creteria, physical size, and price, performance comes in
    >>third.
    >>
    >>When I shopped for my last camera, I wanted a fairly small, medium priced,
    >>high resolution. I always use Imaging Resource website to look at the
    >>resolution tests using pictures and templates. You can see exactly what camera
    >>has better resolution. I don't know of other websites that offer this.
    >>Well, I bought my Minolta F300 several years ago. There were not much better
    >>PS cameras around back then. I was satisfied.
    >>
    >>I still use my Canon A20 often, especially with the wide adaptor.

    >I wanted to get a rough indication of how my Minolta F300 compared to Canon
    >710 in resolution. using Imaging Resource gallery, the BW test pattern shows
    >my Minolta 5MP equal or slightly better in vertical resoution, but the 7MP
    >canon has better horizontal resolution.
    >
    >I found that interesting.

    I should have given URL's
    Canon
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/FULLRES/A710hMULTI3072F.HTM

    Minolta
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F300/FULLRES/F30RESWLF.HTM

    What i usually look at are the curved horz and vertical lines 2/3 over near
    the middle to get resolution. of course the vertical lines are for horzontal
    resolution and horzontal lines for vertical resolution.

    I will have to look at some hight MP images to see how he lens stack up.

    greg

    GregS, Aug 17, 2007
  14. Ericsson

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    GregS added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    >>> I've been searching so far to every models. I can't decide
    >>> which one but I really like the Canon A710 IS. I think I'm
    >>> going to get it at Pixideal.ca. www.pixideal.ca They really
    >>> have the best price in Canada and they also offre free
    >>> shipping.
    >>>

    >>What criteria do you want people to use to judge what only you
    >>know, which is "what is best?". Best as in cheapest, best as
    >>in smallest, best as in most megapixels, best as in most
    >>features, best as in image quality, best in what?

    > Probably everything

    Well, I'm afraid that from my experience and point-of-view,
    you're setting an impossible goal as several of what I listed and
    more I didn't are mutually exclusive. e.g., a small camera with
    high mega pixels is very unlikely to produce the same image
    quality as a good EVF or DSLR of the same image quality, but will
    cost maybe only 1/5 as much, and the DSLR will be huge/heavy in
    comparison.

    In other words, you have to decide what things are most important
    to you, what you NEED vs. what you want, and what are nice to
    have but not crucial.

    > I guess tow main creteria, physical size, and price,
    > performance comes in third.

    I assume you've haunted dpreview.com to look over what they've
    tested. Often, though, once you have a basic camera type in mind
    and settled on a minimum set of features, e.g. optical view
    finder in addition to LCD, specific mega pixels, zoom range,
    etc., and you know both the approximate size/weight you want and
    have a budget range, say $150-250, then I would go into the store
    and pickup and play with the possibly dozen or more that fit
    those simple specs and decide which one feels the best to you.
    Chances are that similar cameras from any of the better brands
    will have similar features and similar quality, so it often then
    boils down to price and what you just plain like.

    You've not said anything about what kind of subject(s) you intend
    to shoot. That can have a BIG effect on camera type, as zoom
    range may be a huge consideration, IS may be needed, or you may
    need something with minimum shutter lag. I'd like to advise you
    to ask the sales droid, but they seldom know unless you go to a
    specialty camera store. If the latter, don't expect to see the
    lower price end, though.

    > When I shopped for my last camera, I wanted a fairly small,
    > medium priced, high resolution. I always use Imaging Resource
    > website to look at the resolution tests using pictures and
    > templates. You can see exactly what camera has better
    > resolution. I don't know of other websites that offer this.
    > Well, I bought my Minolta F300 several years ago. There were
    > not much better PS cameras around back then. I was satisfied.
    >
    > I still use my Canon A20 often, especially with the wide
    > adaptor.

    Resolution has been completely blown out of proportion to its
    real value by the camera maker's marketing staffs. Yes, get
    enough, 6 min, but if the camera is small and inexpensive, also
    don't expect the lens, image processor, and flexibility to
    control JPEG compression to provide even 6 MP worth of really
    sharp and detailed images. Life is about compromise and business
    is about making money.

    One more thing, buy from a store that will give you a full Visa
    refund within 10 days if you don't like it for any reason, buy
    what you think you like, then rip off a few hundred test shots
    and decide for yourself if the controls are intuitive, you like
    its feel, and the images meet your expectations.

    And, please keep in mind that there is NOTHING sold anywhere,
    camera, car, appliances, nothing, that has a "best" because the
    criteria people use to judge that is so different. And, as you
    obviously know, more expensive does not automagically mean
    better, it may mean features that you neither want/need and
    features you may actually find undesirable.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Aug 18, 2007
  15. Ericsson

    sw2U Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...
    > That was spam in disguise.
    >
    > -------
    > RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com

    Bingo! That's exactly what it is, although the disguise is so
    flimsy it's laughable.

    What's not laughable is how it insults the intelligence of the
    mostly well-informed and helpful regulars here. It makes as much
    sense as some guy saying he wants to get married, so who's the best
    woman available.

    --
    sw2U
    sw2U, Aug 20, 2007