    Grateful for any pointers.

    --
    Vartkes
    Vartkes, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Vartkes

    Doug G Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > I am trying to see the Newsweek video blog on the msnbc site
    > http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8050154/site/newsweek/
    >
    > I can hear, but cannot see the video.
    >
    > (I have flashblock 1.3.1 extension installed on FF 1.0.4, which I enable
    > for this particular window. My OS is XP Pro, SP2)
    >
    > No problems with viewing it with IE 6.0.
    >
    > Grateful for any pointers.

    I see the video and have the Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 plugin.
    I don't use flashblock 1.3.1.
    Doug G, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Vartkes wrote:
    >> I am trying to see the Newsweek video blog on the msnbc site
    >> http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8050154/site/newsweek/
    >>
    >> I can hear, but cannot see the video.
    >>
    >> (I have flashblock 1.3.1 extension installed on FF 1.0.4, which I
    >> enable for this particular window. My OS is XP Pro, SP2)
    >>
    >> No problems with viewing it with IE 6.0.
    >>
    >> Grateful for any pointers.
    >>

    > I see the video and have the Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 plugin.
    > I don't use flashblock 1.3.1.

    Hmmm... I don't.

    BTW, when I say I 'enable flashblock' I should really say I disable it,
    by clicking on the 'f' symbol.

    --Vartkes
    Vartkes, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Vartkes

    Moz Champion Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >>Vartkes wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am trying to see the Newsweek video blog on the msnbc site
    >>>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8050154/site/newsweek/
    >>>
    >>>I can hear, but cannot see the video.
    >>>
    >>>(I have flashblock 1.3.1 extension installed on FF 1.0.4, which I
    >>>enable for this particular window. My OS is XP Pro, SP2)
    >>>
    >>>No problems with viewing it with IE 6.0.
    >>>
    >>>Grateful for any pointers.
    >>>

    >>I see the video and have the Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 plugin.
    >>I don't use flashblock 1.3.1.

    > Hmmm... I don't.
    >
    > BTW, when I say I 'enable flashblock' I should really say I disable it,
    > by clicking on the 'f' symbol.
    >
    > --Vartkes

    Try running in safe mode which disables all extensions, can you see the
    video then? You do have the flash plugin installed right?
    Moz Champion, Jun 17, 2005
  5. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Vartkes wrote:
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> I see the video and have the Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 plugin.
    >>> I don't use flashblock 1.3.1.

    >> Hmmm... I don't.
    >>
    >> BTW, when I say I 'enable flashblock' I should really say I
    >> disable it, by clicking on the 'f' symbol.
    >>
    >> --Vartkes
    >>

    > Try running in safe mode which disables all extensions, can you see
    > the video then? You do have the flash plugin installed right?

    Safe mode makes no difference.

    about:plugin tells me Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 is installed OK
    I appear to have two application types enabled
    application/x-shockwave-flash
    application/futuresplash

    :-(
    Vartkes, Jun 17, 2005
  6. Vartkes

    Moz Champion Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >>Vartkes wrote:

    >>>Hmmm... I don't.
    >>>
    >>>BTW, when I say I 'enable flashblock' I should really say I
    >>>disable it, by clicking on the 'f' symbol.
    >>>
    >>>--Vartkes
    >>>

    >>Try running in safe mode which disables all extensions, can you see
    >>the video then? You do have the flash plugin installed right?

    > Safe mode makes no difference.
    >
    > about:plugin tells me Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 is installed OK
    > I appear to have two application types enabled
    > application/x-shockwave-flash
    > application/futuresplash
    >
    > :-(

    Do they both have different file types?
    Uninstall the Flashblock to see if that makes a difference
    Moz Champion, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Vartkes wrote:
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>>Try running in safe mode which disables all extensions, can you see
    >>>the video then? You do have the flash plugin installed right?

    >> Safe mode makes no difference.
    >>
    >> about:plugin tells me Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 is installed OK
    >> I appear to have two application types enabled
    >> application/x-shockwave-flash
    >> application/futuresplash
    >>
    >> :-(

    > Do they both have different file types?
    > Uninstall the Flashblock to see if that makes a difference

    I tried this. I uninstalled Flashblock 1.3.1, and did not see any
    difference.
    (When I re-installed Flashblock, I could only find version 1.2.9. )
    One small step backwards for man.... but still no video image.

    Yes they have different file types
    >> application/x-shockwave-flash has swf
    >> application/futuresplash has spl (as suffix)

    Regards

    vartkes
    Vartkes, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Vartkes

    Moz Champion Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Vartkes wrote:

    >>>Safe mode makes no difference.
    >>>
    >>>about:plugin tells me Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19 is installed OK
    >>>I appear to have two application types enabled
    >>> application/x-shockwave-flash
    >>> application/futuresplash
    >>>
    >>>:-(

    >>Do they both have different file types?
    >>Uninstall the Flashblock to see if that makes a difference

    > I tried this. I uninstalled Flashblock 1.3.1, and did not see any
    > difference.
    > (When I re-installed Flashblock, I could only find version 1.2.9. )
    > One small step backwards for man.... but still no video image.
    >
    > Yes they have different file types
    >
    >>> application/x-shockwave-flash has swf
    >>> application/futuresplash has spl (as suffix)

    > Regards
    >
    > vartkes

    Whats your connection speed? Thats a streaming video and requires a good
    deal of bandwidth
    Moz Champion, Jun 21, 2005
  9. Vartkes

    > Vartkes wrote:
    >> "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>Do they both have different file types?
    >>>Uninstall the Flashblock to see if that makes a difference

    >> I tried this. I uninstalled Flashblock 1.3.1, and did not see any
    >> difference.
    >> (When I re-installed Flashblock, I could only find version 1.2.9. )
    >> One small step backwards for man.... but still no video image.
    >>
    >> Yes they have different file types

    >> Regards
    >>
    >> vartkes
    >>

    > Whats your connection speed? Thats a streaming video and requires a good
    > deal of bandwidth

    I have a cable connection, albeit capped at 1 MBit/sec (download). I have no
    problem seeing the video with IE6.0.

    In a separate post to this newsgroup (20.06.2005), I was wondering in my
    'safe mode'
    is functioning properly. (Up the thread, I said I had tried 'safe mode'
    but it made no difference. However, I am not sure of that now.
    In short, I noticed that my 'Gmail notifier' icon (at the bottom right of
    the browser window)
    still works even in 'safe mode' start.

    Vartkes
    Vartkes, Jun 21, 2005
  10. Vartkes

    Moz Champion Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Vartkes wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>I tried this. I uninstalled Flashblock 1.3.1, and did not see any
    >>>difference.
    >>>(When I re-installed Flashblock, I could only find version 1.2.9. )
    >>>One small step backwards for man.... but still no video image.
    >>>
    >>>Yes they have different file types

    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>vartkes
    >>>

    >>Whats your connection speed? Thats a streaming video and requires a good
    >>deal of bandwidth

    > I have a cable connection, albeit capped at 1 MBit/sec (download). I have no
    > problem seeing the video with IE6.0.
    >
    > In a separate post to this newsgroup (20.06.2005), I was wondering in my
    > 'safe mode'
    > is functioning properly. (Up the thread, I said I had tried 'safe mode'
    > but it made no difference. However, I am not sure of that now.
    > In short, I noticed that my 'Gmail notifier' icon (at the bottom right of
    > the browser window)
    > still works even in 'safe mode' start.
    >
    > Vartkes

    Well, thats certainly is fast enough, and as you say it works on IE.

    Hmmm, lets try another flash to see if there is a difference there.
    Try this page with Firefox
    http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/

    Do you see either of the two tests?
    Moz Champion, Jun 21, 2005
  11. Vartkes

    > Vartkes wrote:
    >> "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>Whats your connection speed? Thats a streaming video and requires a good
    >>>deal of bandwidth

    >> I have a cable connection, albeit capped at 1 MBit/sec (download). I have
    >> no
    >> problem seeing the video with IE6.0.
    >>
    >> In a separate post to this newsgroup (20.06.2005), I was wondering in my
    >> 'safe mode'
    >> is functioning properly. (Up the thread, I said I had tried 'safe mode'
    >> but it made no difference. However, I am not sure of that now.
    >> In short, I noticed that my 'Gmail notifier' icon (at the bottom right of
    >> the browser window)
    >> still works even in 'safe mode' start.
    >>
    >> Vartkes
    >>

    > Well, thats certainly is fast enough, and as you say it works on IE.
    >
    > Hmmm, lets try another flash to see if there is a difference there.
    > Try this page with Firefox
    > http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >
    > Do you see either of the two tests?

    Yes. I see both (they both say 'installation complete'). I cannot hear the
    first, but
    I can hear 'swoosh' noises when I hover over 'Creat' 'See' and 'About'.

    --Vartkes
    Vartkes, Jun 22, 2005
  12. Vartkes

    Moz Champion Guest

    Vartkes wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Vartkes wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>I have a cable connection, albeit capped at 1 MBit/sec (download). I have
    >>>no
    >>>problem seeing the video with IE6.0.
    >>>
    >>>In a separate post to this newsgroup (20.06.2005), I was wondering in my
    >>>'safe mode'
    >>>is functioning properly. (Up the thread, I said I had tried 'safe mode'
    >>>but it made no difference. However, I am not sure of that now.
    >>>In short, I noticed that my 'Gmail notifier' icon (at the bottom right of
    >>>the browser window)
    >>>still works even in 'safe mode' start.
    >>>
    >>>Vartkes
    >>>

    >>Well, thats certainly is fast enough, and as you say it works on IE.
    >>
    >>Hmmm, lets try another flash to see if there is a difference there.
    >>Try this page with Firefox
    >>http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>
    >>Do you see either of the two tests?

    > Yes. I see both (they both say 'installation complete'). I cannot hear the
    > first, but
    > I can hear 'swoosh' noises when I hover over 'Creat' 'See' and 'About'.
    >
    > --Vartkes

    Okay, so your installations appear to be correct.

    Aha! I was able to recreate the problem with the simple expedient of
    blocking cookies. (the clue for that was from reviewing the page source)

    Set Firefox to accept all cookies and you should be fine
    Moz Champion, Jun 22, 2005
  13. Vartkes

    > Vartkes wrote:
    >> "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>Well, thats certainly is fast enough, and as you say it works on IE.
    >>>
    >>>Hmmm, lets try another flash to see if there is a difference there.
    >>>Try this page with Firefox
    >>>http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>>
    >>>Do you see either of the two tests?

    >> Yes. I see both (they both say 'installation complete'). I cannot hear
    >> the first, but
    >> I can hear 'swoosh' noises when I hover over 'Creat' 'See' and 'About'.
    >>
    >> --Vartkes

    > Okay, so your installations appear to be correct.
    >
    > Aha! I was able to recreate the problem with the simple expedient of
    > blocking cookies. (the clue for that was from reviewing the page source)
    >
    > Set Firefox to accept all cookies and you should be fine

    Brill! Thanks Moz

    Vartkes
    Vartkes, Jun 22, 2005