    what recommendations for something cheap and basic that will support a
    headset, allow me to put calls on hold to answer other calls etc most
    gratefully received.

    R Johnson, Oct 23, 2009

  2. In article <4ae1f590$0$2477$>,
    R Johnson <> wrote:
    >When I get round to setting up an Asterisk server, I'm guessing I'm going
    >to need to use IP phones with it (of course). The think I'm wondering, is
    >what recommendations for something cheap and basic that will support a
    >headset, allow me to put calls on hold to answer other calls etc most
    >gratefully received.

    Nearly all SIP phones will do this, so it boils down to budget after
    personal preference, so a desk/wall phone? wireless (DECT), big, small,
    colours other than black/grey/white/silver, etc.

    For a cheap and basic desk phone, try the Grandstream BT200 - but
    that's numeric display only. The next one up is the GXP280 which has an
    alphanumeric display - good for caller ID.

    The Siemens DECT range is also well priced - especially the A series.

    So I'd suggest you look on the interweb - the shop sites and have a look
    through the phones, etc. and once you find one you like, get it ...

    Places to look:

    www.voipon.co.uk
    www.provu.co.uk

    but there are many other places - just google.

    Gordon
    Ps. You don't *need* IP phones - you can use analogue phones with the
    right modules on a TDM card, or ATA devices...

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 25, 2009