Which PBX to choose? Avaya or Cisco?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Dan24, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. Dan24

    Dan24 Guest

    Hi,

    We are a small business with 15 employees and are recently reviewing
    some offers to upgrade our old Panasonic PBX to a new one. We have 14
    employees in our main branch and another employee in a remote branch.
    We have 2 very competitive offers from Avaya for IP Office 500 with 14
    digital 5410 phones and 1 IP phone for the teleworker and the offer
    from Cisco includes 2811 router running Cisco Communications Manager
    Express (CME) with 15 IP phones model 7911.
    One of the things that bothers me with Avaya is that their solution is
    not pure IP and they don't support SIP phones (only SIP trunking). On
    the other hand, their solution seems to have more features than
    Cisco's (the free Phone Manager Lite software for example) and I heard
    they keep updating IP Office with new features in each version
    (version updates are also free).

    I need some help making a decision here, please share your thoughts &
    experience...

    Thanks in advance,

    Danny

    Dan24, Jul 8, 2008

  2. Dan24

    DA Guest

    Dan24 wrote:

    > Hi,

    > We are a small business with 15 employees and are recently reviewing
    > some offers to upgrade our old Panasonic PBX to a new one. We have 14
    > employees in our main branch and another employee in a remote branch.
    > We have 2 very competitive offers from Avaya for IP Office 500 with 14
    > digital 5410 phones and 1 IP phone for the teleworker and the offer
    > from Cisco includes 2811 router running Cisco Communications Manager
    > Express (CME) with 15 IP phones model 7911.
    > One of the things that bothers me with Avaya is that their solution is
    > not pure IP and they don't support SIP phones (only SIP trunking). On
    > the other hand, their solution seems to have more features than
    > Cisco's (the free Phone Manager Lite software for example) and I heard
    > they keep updating IP Office with new features in each version
    > (version updates are also free).

    > I need some help making a decision here, please share your thoughts
    > &
    > experience...

    > Thanks in advance,

    > Danny

    Hi Danny,

    It is rather amusing to read that it bothers you that a phone is not IP
    rather than, say, a phone may not deliver voice quality or something else
    that has anything to do with what the phone is actually for - get you to
    hear the other person.

    Look at the feature set first, support that the interconnect selling the
    system to you offers second, warranty third and then (maybe) the
    underlying technology.

    For someone calling from outside a digital phone on a SIP trunk with
    incoming call route built for it will behave exactly as a standalone SIP
    phone would except you don't have to worry about powering it and you have
    access to all other types of trunks the system accepts and other system
    features.

    Whatever system you chose, make sure you greatly lower your expectations
    of voice quality over a SIP trunk versus a PRI or even a good old analog
    line. If you receive your SIP trunks over anything other than the
    provider's own T1/Fiber/What have you/ be ready for call drops, echo,
    inability to complete a call and just about any other call problem you can
    think of - it'll be there at one time or another due to Internet's
    inherent issues with time-sensitive delivery.

    Should I mention that you need CAT5E cabling for IP phones? Half of the
    clients I deal with forget this little detail - you cannot simply replace
    an old Panasonic with an IP phone system without having to redo or at
    least re-arrange the cabling first. Sometimes at a cost comparable to the
    cost of the new phone system.

    Oh, BTW, I should have mentioned it earlier - I'm an Avaya guy :)

    --

    ****** ****** ******* =============================
    ******* ******* ******* ============

    Telecom Discussions at
    http://www.telecom-gear.com/

    DA, Jul 9, 2008

  3. Dan24

    Guest

    On 9 Jul, 03:18, (DA) wrote:
> [...]

    > Should I mention that you need CAT5E cabling for IP phones? Half of the
    > clients I deal with forget this little detail - you cannot simply replace
    > an old Panasonic with an IP phone system without having to redo or at
    > least re-arrange the cabling first. Sometimes at a cost comparable to the
    > cost of the new phone system.
    >
    > Oh, BTW, I should have mentioned it earlier - I'm anAvayaguy :)
    >
    > --
    >
    >     ******   ******   *******  =============================
    >    *******  *******  *******  ============
    >   **   **  **   **  *    **   (  |
    >  **   **  **   **       **  ____/
    > *******  *******       **
    > ******   ******       **
    >
    > ##-----------------------------------------------##
    > Telecom Discussions athttp://www.telecom-gear.com/
    > no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup -
    > comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 6709 messages and counting!

    Great points

    */---------------------------------------------/*
    Visit http://www.telefonix.co.uk/ for all things
    Avaya, from Phone Systems to Handsets.
    Try Before you Buy Offers Available Now!
    */---------------------------------------------/*

    , Jul 23, 2008
  4. Dan24

    Guest

    On 9 Jul, 03:18, (DA) wrote:
> [...]

    > Should I mention that you need CAT5E cabling for IP phones? Half of the
    > clients I deal with forget this little detail - you cannot simply replace
    > an old Panasonic with an IP phone system without having to redo or at
    > least re-arrange the cabling first. Sometimes at a cost comparable to the
    > cost of the new phone system.
    >
    > Oh, BTW, I should have mentioned it earlier - I'm anAvayaguy :)
    >
    > --
    >
    >     ******   ******   *******  =============================
    >    *******  *******  *******  ============

    > Telecom Discussions athttp://www.telecom-gear.com/
    > no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup -
    > comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 6709 messages and counting!

    Great points