Which PBX to choose? Avaya or Cisco?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Dan24, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. Dan24

    Dan24 Guest

    Hi,

    We are a small business with 15 employees and are recently reviewing
    some offers to upgrade our old Panasonic PBX to a new one. We have 14
    employees in our main branch and another employee in a remote branch.
    We have 2 very competitive offers from Avaya for IP Office 500 with 14
    digital 5410 phones and 1 IP phone for the teleworker and the offer
    from Cisco includes 2811 router running Cisco Communications Manager
    Express (CME) with 15 IP phones model 7911.
    One of the things that bothers me with Avaya is that their solution is
    not pure IP and they don't support SIP phones (only SIP trunking). On
    the other hand, their solution seems to have more features than
    Cisco's (the free Phone Manager Lite software for example) and I heard
    they keep updating IP Office with new features in each version
    (version updates are also free).

    I need some help making a decision here, please share your thoughts &
    experience...

    Thanks in advance,

    Danny

    Dan24, Jul 8, 2008

  2. Dan24

    Dan24 Guest

    On Jul 21, 4:59 am, "Mike Schumann" <mike-nos...@traditions-
    nospam.com> wrote:
    > What's wrong with your old Panasonic PBX?
    >
    > Mike Schumann
    >
    > "Dan24" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > We are a small business with 15 employees and are recently reviewing
    > > some offers to upgrade our old Panasonic PBX to a new one. We have 14
    > > employees in our main branch and another employee in a remote branch.
    > > We have 2 very competitive offers from Avaya for IP Office 500 with 14
    > > digital 5410 phones and 1 IP phone for the teleworker and the offer
    > > from Cisco includes 2811 router running Cisco Communications Manager
    > > Express (CME) with 15 IP phones model 7911.
    > > One of the things that bothers me with Avaya is that their solution is
    > > not pure IP and they don't support SIP phones (only SIP trunking). On
    > > the other hand, their solution seems to have more features than
    > > Cisco's (the free Phone Manager Lite software for example) and I heard
    > > they keep updating IP Office with new features in each version
    > > (version updates are also free).

    > > I need some help making a decision here, please share your thoughts &
    > > experience...

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > Danny

    > ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

    No PRI support. Too much money to upgrade and no one will support it
    (distributor claims it's no longer supported and replacement parts are
    unavailable).

    Dan24, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Dan24

    Dan24, Jul 21, 2008
  4. Dan24

    Hongtian Guest

    Hi Danny,

    I think your requirement is simple. Why not try miniSipServer? It is
    professional SIP server for windows platform and very easy to use.

    Hongtian, Jul 25, 2008
  5. Dan24

    Hongtian, Jul 25, 2008
  6. Dan24

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article <3e25a$4883ed7c$> "Mike Schumann"
    <> writes:

    >What's wrong with your old Panasonic PBX?
    >
    >Mike Schumann

    A better question might be "What's wrong with Mitel?" - Why aren't they
    among your list? Might it interest you to learn that Mitel won a 'best of
    Interop' award this year (2008) in the VOIP and COllaboration category,
    beating out both Avaya and Cisco?

    And yes, Mitel does make an ideal small business PBX in their 3300-CXi
    model.

    --
    Hooked On Ebonics, Lesson 5: Use the word "fortify" in a sentence.
    FORTIFY: I axed dis ho how much an she said fortify.

    Mitel Lurker, Jul 26, 2008
  7. Dan24

    Mitel Lurker, Jul 26, 2008
  8. Dan24

    Dan24 Guest

    On Jul 25, 11:35 am, Hongtian <> wrote:
    > Hi Danny,
    >
    > I think your requirement is simple. Why not try miniSipServer? It is
    > professional SIP server for windows platform and very easy to use.
    >
    > On Jul 9, 12:01 am, Dan24 <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > We are a small business with 15 employees and are recently reviewing
    > > some offers to upgrade our old Panasonic PBX to a new one. We have 14
    > > employees in our main branch and another employee in a remote branch.
    > > We have 2 very competitive offers from Avaya for IP Office 500 with 14
    > > digital 5410 phones and 1 IP phone for the teleworker and the offer
    > > from Cisco includes 2811 router running Cisco Communications Manager
    > > Express (CME) with 15 IP phones model 7911.
    > > One of the things that bothers me with Avaya is that their solution is
    > > not pure IP and they don't support SIP phones (only SIP trunking). On
    > > the other hand, their solution seems to have more features than
    > > Cisco's (the free Phone Manager Lite software for example) and I heard
    > > they keep updating IP Office with new features in each version
    > > (version updates are also free).

    > > I need some help making a decision here, please share your thoughts &
    > > experience...

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > Danny

    Our telephony uptime is extremely important and we can't afford to
    have it running on a windows server (not that there's anything wrong
    with Windows, just that from my experience computers crash more often
    than dedicated hardware).
    If you want a reliable solution running on Windows that also requires
    purchasing reliable hardware (with redundant components) and putting
    together the hardware+software cost would probably be too expensive.
    Besides, I prefer a company that manufactures both PBX and phones
    since that allows for usage of maximum features and interoperability.

    Dan24, Jul 26, 2008
  9. Dan24

    Dan24, Jul 26, 2008
  10. Dan24

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article
    <> Dan24
    <> writes:

    >Our telephony uptime is extremely important and we can't afford to
    >have it running on a windows server (not that there's anything wrong
    >with Windows, just that from my experience computers crash more often
    >than dedicated hardware).
    >If you want a reliable solution running on Windows that also requires
    >purchasing reliable hardware (with redundant components) and putting
    >together the hardware+software cost would probably be too expensive.
    >Besides, I prefer a company that manufactures both PBX and phones
    >since that allows for usage of maximum features and interoperability.

    All the more reason to consider MITEL. If you ever find yourself being
    forced onto a VOIP platform, there's nothing out there today more stable
    or bulletproof than a resilient Mitel MXe-3300. MITEL is also a legacy
    PBX manufacturer (not a marketing company like Cisco). MITEL has been
    designing PBX systems and telephones since the mid 1980s. The shit simply
    works. You couldn't ask for anything better.

    - - - - - AND..... it doesn't run on MS Windows

    in fact, the very newest MITEL 3300 Communications Director (MCD),
    presently in late beta trials, is running on a SUN SunFire X-4150 sever
    under Linux. If you're needing a phone system that you could launch into
    outer space and have it still working upon return to Earth, you've found
    it.

    There's still plenty wrong with MS Windows. While I would have to agree
    that MS Windows has come a very long way in recent years, it still
    requires periodic reboots and *frequent* patch management. That's NOT
    where you ever want your phone system to be. If you're in the market for
    a dime store or duct tape phone system, there's plenty of them running on
    Windows, in all price ranges, from Asterisk to Microsoft OCS.

    --
    Hooked On Ebonics, Lesson 12: Use the word "hotel" in a sentence.
    HOTEL: I gave my ol lady da crabs and da hotel everybody.

    Mitel Lurker, Jul 27, 2008
  11. Dan24

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article
    <> Dan24

    Mitel Lurker, Jul 27, 2008
  12. Dan24

    Guest

    On Jul 27, 4:02 pm, Mitel Lurker <wdg@[206.180.145.133] wrote:
    > In article
    > <> Dan24
    >
    > <> writes:
    > >Our telephony uptime is extremely important and we can't afford to
    > >have it running on a windows server (not that there's anything wrong
    > >with Windows, just that from my experience computers crash more often
    > >than dedicated hardware).
    > >If you want a reliable solution running on Windows that also requires
    > >purchasing reliable hardware (with redundant components) and putting
    > >together the hardware+software cost would probably be too expensive.
    > >Besides, I prefer a company that manufactures both PBX and phones
    > >since that allows for usage of maximum features and interoperability.

    > All the more reason to consider MITEL. If you ever find yourself being
    > forced onto a VOIP platform, there's nothing out there today more stable
    > or bulletproof than a resilient Mitel MXe-3300.  MITEL is also a legacy
    > PBX manufacturer (not a marketing company like Cisco). MITEL has been
    > designing PBX systems and telephones since the mid 1980s. The shit simply
    > works. You couldn't ask for anything better.
    >
    > - - - - - AND..... it doesn't run on MS Windows
    >
    > in fact, the very newest MITEL 3300 Communications Director (MCD),
    > presently in late beta trials, is running on a SUN SunFire X-4150 sever
    > under Linux.  If you're needing a phone system that you could launch into
    > outer space and have it still working upon return to Earth, you've found
    > it.
    >
    > There's still plenty wrong with MS Windows. While I would have to agree
    > that MS Windows has come a very long way in recent years, it still
    > requires periodic reboots and *frequent* patch management. That's NOT
    > where you ever want your phone system to be.  If you're in the market for
    > a dime store or duct tape phone system, there's plenty of them running on
    > Windows, in all price ranges, from Asterisk to Microsoft OCS.
    >
    > --
    > Hooked On Ebonics, Lesson 12: Use the word "hotel" in a sentence.
    > HOTEL:  I gave my ol lady da crabs and da hotel everybody.

    > ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    Hey Guys,

    Just wanted to add (no offense) that in my opinon PBX is a out of date
    system. The phone system I have rad the most positive feedback of is
    GoHello. It is very user fiendly and the interface I can personally
    recommend. Look into this adress I you will find a free try out !

    www.gohello.com/12b3

    , Sep 17, 2008
  13. Dan24

    Dan_Roberts

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    New York
    Business PBX Options

    Have you considered Hosted VoIP solution.

    AVAD Technologies is a Hosted VoIP solution that runs on the Broadsoft platform.

    If you would like to find out more about AVAD Technologies, please call (800) 733-4136.

    Regards.

    Dan_Roberts, Nov 27, 2008