which path to take

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Ariadne, May 19, 2008.

  1. Ariadne

    Ariadne Guest

    Hi folks

    I'm looking at a change in career direction at the moment, having taken time
    out to have a family. I'm a part qualified accountant, and in every job I've
    had, I've ended up being the person someone comes to for IT support! I now
    work part time running a business, maintaining and updating the company
    website (in asp) and pretty much all the day to day stuff.
    In my spare time I've written database driven websites (using VWD and doing
    some extra coding too, and SQL server 2005). Pretty simple stuff but good fun.

    I would like my next career move (when my youngest starts school in
    September 2009) to be into the world of vb.net programming.

    and to my point:
    As I don't currently work in the industry (which seems to be a prerequisite
    for most of these courses) what do you recommend my path should be?

    I was assuming I'd be looking at the foundation .net framework course,
    following up with MCTS in either web development or windows development (at
    the moment, I'm veering toward web development, but open to either
    suggestion) and eventually MCPD.

    I work and live in the UK if that has any bearing on what you'd suggest :)

    Ariadne, May 19, 2008

  2. Ariadne

    Pete Jones Guest

    I answered a similar question a few days ago, although they were specifically
    looking at Visual Stuido 2005. But the paths are similar. Look below at "MCAD
    to MCTS migration" 5/14/2008

    If that doesn't help, say so and I will dig about for you.

    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

    Pete Jones, May 19, 2008

  3. Ariadne

    Ariadne Guest

    Thanks for the reply Pete, I did actually miss that post when I was trying to
    see if my question had previously been answered.

    It does help - a bit - however I'd also like to know if my not actually
    working in the industry would be a problem. I can certainly say I've got the
    enthusiasm, willingness to learn, and I believe the capability to do it
    however.

    If there's anyone that has knowledge of the UK job markets at the moment,
    I'm curious as to whether they'd recommend going the "windows" or "web"
    application route. I'm veering toward the web side, but as I haven't made the
    final decision yet, I'm open to suggestions either way.

    Thanks for reading my message :)

    Ariadne, May 20, 2008
  4. Ariadne

    Ariadne Guest

    argh, my post got lost somewhere..

    thanks for replying Pete, I appreciate the time. I did miss that original
    question when I was looking to see if anyone had asked something similar
    before.

    I was more concerned with the fact I'm not working in the industry at the
    moment - this does appear to be a recommendation for starting any of the
    courses - I do believe I have the enthusiasm, commitment and willingness to
    learn despite not being in the industry at the moment though.

    Additionally, I was wondering if anyone knows whether the UK job market
    needs more "web" or "window" application developers - as I haven't made my
    final decision, it would be nice to try to fill a skills gap so to speak.

    Thanks for reading my message!

    Ariadne, May 20, 2008
  5. Ariadne

    Pete Jones Guest

    No problem.

    I'm not going to go into the Certification vs. Experience debate (much)
    since everyone knows how to sing that song by now.

    But with regards to the market, it will depend on if you want to go
    Contractor vs. Permanent employee.

    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk tracks the salaries/rates in job ads.
    Developers get £40,000 as a Permanent Employee or £400 per day as a
    contractor.

    Whilst a new starter wouldn't be getting that much, the demand for code
    monkeys of any stripe is still high. Really, between web and apps, it is your
    choice. The line between them is blurring anyway.

    As for whether you need to be working before you take the courses, no.
    Providing you have the experience of the product, whether through work,
    courses or just experience from making your own stuff, you can start the
    learning programmes. How difficult you find them will be related to your
    competence.

    The reason they say a minimum of one years work experience is because this
    is typically the length of time needed for the majority of people to have a
    good knowledge of the system. You may need more or less. I couldn't say.

    Pete Jones, May 20, 2008