Which paper for Epson Photo 700

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ben Thomas, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Ben Thomas

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Hi all,

    I've just bought a Kodak DX6490 digital camera and have an Epson Photo
    700 printer.

    Instead of going to effort of trying a range of different papers, can
    anyone suggest a paper they have been happy with for 4x6 and 8x10 prints?

    I've found that Ilford paper is about %25 cheaper than the same sort of
    Epson brand paper but I wonder if Kodak make a paper that is worth trying.

    Also, is there an optimum size to print at on the Epson Photo 700 if the
    image is 4MP? Perhaps the native resolution of the printer which would
    mean I would get prints a tad larger than 4x6 from my 4MP photos???

    Thanks for any tips.

    --
    Ben Thomas - Melbourne - Australia
    Ben Thomas, Nov 21, 2003

  2. In general Epsons are more sensitive to paper than other printers and do
    best with Epson paper. Inks are another part of the mix. If you are
    planning to us anything other than Epson ink, all bets are off. Different
    papers may be called for for better results.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 21, 2003

  3. In article <658kpb.cht.ln@192.168.11.2>, Ben Thomas
    <> wrote:

    > Instead of going to effort of trying a range of different papers, can
    > anyone suggest a paper they have been happy with for 4x6 and 8x10 prints?
    >
    > I've found that Ilford paper is about %25 cheaper than the same sort of
    > Epson brand paper but I wonder if Kodak make a paper that is worth trying.

    Bite the bullet and use the Epson supplies. The details of the
    printer/ink/paper interaction are amazingly complex; no one is going to
    handle the details as well as the designer of the system

    For example (and in specific), I've found that Kodak paper works quite
    well on my FOUR-color Epson printer (Stylus 880) but very poorly on my
    SIX-color Epson (Stylus Photo 890).
    Scott Schuckert, Nov 22, 2003