    research and find out if it made any difference to the image quality
    versus some competitors.

    Thanks.
    Abertech, Nov 16, 2007

  2. Abertech

    GigaSurfer Guest

    "Abertech" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do all consumer digital cameras use the same sized sensor? If not,
    > does anyone know which brands or models offer the largest sensor
    > available in a p&s camera? I would be interested to do a little
    > research and find out if it made any difference to the image quality
    > versus some competitors.

    Sensor sizes for P&S cameras are typically between 1/1.6" and 1/2.5". It
    does make a difference to the image quality (better dynamic range, less
    noise) although it's usually only noticable when using high ISOs.

    There are some fixed-lens cameras which use a big sensor (same size as
    entry-level DSLRs) but these are no simple P&S cameras because they're
    either very big (Sony R1) or extremely expensive (Sigma DP1).
    GigaSurfer, Nov 16, 2007

  3. Abertech

    bugbear Guest

    Abertech wrote:
    > Do all consumer digital cameras use the same sized sensor? If not,
    > does anyone know which brands or models offer the largest sensor
    > available in a p&s camera? I would be interested to do a little
    > research and find out if it made any difference to the image quality
    > versus some competitors.

    I would recommend evaluating image quality
    directly, rather than by proxy.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Nov 16, 2007
  4. Abertech

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Abertech <> wrote:
    > Do all consumer digital cameras use the same sized sensor? If not,
    > does anyone know which brands or models offer the largest sensor
    > available in a p&s camera? I would be interested to do a little
    > research and find out if it made any difference to the image quality
    > versus some competitors.

    Sony made or makes one with the same APS-sized sensor used in DSLR.
    The R1, if I recall correctly.
    Bill Tuthill, Nov 16, 2007
  5. Abertech

    nospam Guest

    In article <k5g%i.209738$-ops.be>,
    GigaSurfer <> wrote:

    > There are some fixed-lens cameras which use a big sensor (same size as
    > entry-level DSLRs) but these are no simple P&S cameras because they're
    > either very big (Sony R1) or extremely expensive (Sigma DP1).

    the r1 is discontinued and the dp1 is vaporware with no official price,
    although it no doubt will not be competitive.
    nospam, Nov 16, 2007
  6. Abertech

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 04:10:10 -0800 (PST)
    Abertech <> wrote:

    > Do all consumer digital cameras use the same sized sensor?

    No.

    > If not,
    > does anyone know which brands or models offer the largest sensor
    > available in a p&s camera?

    That's probably not the right question. For example, when Panasonic
    replaced the FZ20 with the FZ30, they went from a 1/2.5" to a 1/1.8"
    sensor. Naively computing the size ratio, you might have expected the
    FZ30 to have about .72 the noise of the FZ20. In fact, the FZ30 appears
    to have just a tad more noise than the FZ20. Part of the reason is
    that the linear pixel density increased almost as much as the linear
    sensor dimensions in the FZ30. The area of each pixel is almost exactly
    the same in the two cameras.

    A better question than sensor size, or even pixel size, would be, "Who
    makes the lowest-noise P&S cameras?" Some of Fuji's designs stand out
    here, as I recall.

    > I would be interested to do a little
    > research and find out if it made any difference to the image quality
    > versus some competitors.

    It obviously makes a difference. Whether you think the difference is
    significant is up to you. Review sites like www.dpreview.com publish
    side-by-side comparison shots from competing models. Happy hunting.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Nov 16, 2007