    comajorr Guest

    I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set up
    for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    comajorr, Jun 20, 2005

  2. comajorr

    Sly Guest

    win 98

    Sly, Jun 20, 2005

  3. comajorr

    Dave Lear Guest

    "comajorr" wrote in message news:HyDte.39514$

    > I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set
    > up for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    Providing the rest of the spec is sufficient...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx
    then I'd take WinXP over Win2000Pro every day of the week.

    Dave Lear, Jun 20, 2005
  4. comajorr

    unwashed Guest

    "Sly" <> wrote in message
    > win 98

    OK Sly, as Win98 is no longer supported by the illustrious and
    globally dominant Gates empire, if the OP was to install the now
    ancient Win98, how whould they critically update the installation-
    seeing as MS no longer supplies updates for Win98?

    To OP, the processor is fine for XP, and thats what I would go with,
    What about the rest of it's spec? -RAM, capacity etc?

    unwashed, Jun 20, 2005
  5. comajorr

    Usenet Guest

    "comajorr" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set up
    > for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    XP.
    It's best the youngster uses the latest and greatest M$ OS ... <runs for
    cover>.
    I run XP Pro on an old laptop PIII-450 192MB 10GB works flawlessly for
    music/movies/office/internet.

    Usenet, Jun 20, 2005
  6. comajorr

    Dave Lear Guest

    "unwashed" wrote in message

    > OK Sly, as Win98 is no longer supported by the illustrious
    > and globally dominant Gates empire, if the OP was to install
    > the now ancient Win98, how whould they critically update the
    > installation-seeing as MS no longer supplies updates for Win98?

    You'd better tell Microsoft that then because according to the Frequently
    Asked Questions sections of a number of their Security Bulletins such as
    this...
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-024.mspx

    How does the extended support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
    Windows Millennium Edition affect the release of security updates for these
    operating systems?

    Microsoft will only release security updates for critical security issues.
    Non-critical security issues are not offered during this support period. For
    more information about the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policies for these
    operating systems, visit the following Web site.

    So, a visit to WindowsUpdate would get all the critical fixes.

    Dave Lear, Jun 20, 2005
  7. comajorr

    TJ Guest

    unwashed <> wrote:

    > "Sly" <> wrote in message

    >> win 98

    > OK Sly, as Win98 is no longer supported by the illustrious and
    > globally dominant Gates empire, if the OP was to install the now
    > ancient Win98, how whould they critically update the installation-
    > seeing as MS no longer supplies updates for Win98?

    Not that it matters, but Win98 wasn't even presented as an option.

    'Sly' is the quintessential 24hoursupport.helpdesk poster, as are you.

    Microsoft is continuing support for Win98 thru June '06 last I read.

    --
    "The ****-Up fairy doesn't just randomly visit people."
    {Wheat Muncher tells it like it is in 24hoursupport.helpdesk.}

    TJ, Jun 20, 2005
  8. comajorr

    unwashed Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "unwashed" wrote in message
    >
    >> OK Sly, as Win98 is no longer supported by the illustrious
    >> and globally dominant Gates empire, if the OP was to install
    >> the now ancient Win98, how whould they critically update the
    >> installation-seeing as MS no longer supplies updates for Win98?

    > You'd better tell Microsoft that then because according to the Frequently
    > Asked Questions sections of a number of their Security Bulletins such as
    > this...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-024.mspx

    > How does the extended support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition,
    > and Windows Millennium Edition affect the release of security updates for
    > these operating systems?
    >
    > Microsoft will only release security updates for critical security issues.
    > Non-critical security issues are not offered during this support period.
    > For more information about the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policies for
    > these operating systems, visit the following Web site. -

    Thats Right Smart ass, click the link,

    > So, a visit to WindowsUpdate would get all the critical fixes.

    WRONG - NOT all critical updates.
    Read FAQ and click the links, also type the question into knowledge database
    for full details.

    unwashed, Jun 20, 2005
  9. comajorr

    Ian Moyce Guest

    comajorr wrote:
    > I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set up
    > for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    Win2k. XP is a bit of a slut. needs more ram

    Ian Moyce, Jun 20, 2005
  10. comajorr

    Guest

    On comajorr <> wrote:

    |>I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set up
    |>for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    XP for the sole reason that WK2 isn't a game machine; and I'm sure his
    son will want to play a few.

    --
    http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3456745

    , Jun 20, 2005
  11. comajorr

    Dave Lear Guest

    "unwashed" wrote in message

    >>> seeing as MS no longer supplies updates for Win98?

    >> Microsoft will only release security updates for critical security
    >> issues. Non-critical security issues are not offered during this support
    >> period.

    > Thats Right Smart ass, click the link,

    You posted that "Microsoft no longer supplies updates for Win98", i.e. no
    patches are released for Win98 at all.

    I posted a link to an example Microsoft security bulletin which indicates
    that Microsoft do still release some updates for Win98, albeit only for
    critical security issues.

    The number / type of updates they provide (as detailed by the link) isn't
    the issue here. The fact that Microsoft are still providing *any* patches
    for Win98 means your statement that they "no longer supply updates" isn't
    correct.

    Dave Lear, Jun 21, 2005
  12. comajorr

    comajorr Guest

    unwashed wrote:
    > "Sly" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>win 98
    >>

    > OK Sly, as Win98 is no longer supported by the illustrious and
    > globally dominant Gates empire, if the OP was to install the now
    > ancient Win98, how whould they critically update the installation-
    > seeing as MS no longer supplies updates for Win98?
    >
    > To OP, the processor is fine for XP, and thats what I would go with,
    > What about the rest of it's spec? -RAM, capacity etc?
    >

    >>"comajorr" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set up
    >>>for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    I've got 384 MB of RAM in the system.

    comajorr, Jun 21, 2005
  13. comajorr

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:22:30 GMT, "Sly" <> wrote:

    >win 98

    3.11 for Workgroups.

    Evan Platt, Jun 21, 2005
  14. comajorr

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "comajorr" <> wrote in message
    > unwashed wrote:
    >> "Sly" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>win 98
    >>>

    >> OK Sly, as Win98 is no longer supported by the illustrious and
    >> globally dominant Gates empire, if the OP was to install the now
    >> ancient Win98, how whould they critically update the installation-
    >> seeing as MS no longer supplies updates for Win98?
    >>
    >> To OP, the processor is fine for XP, and thats what I would go with,
    >> What about the rest of it's spec? -RAM, capacity etc?
    >>

    >>>"comajorr" <> wrote in message

    > I've got 384 MB of RAM in the system.

    Yeah - go for the XP. The interface is nicer, you have enough CPU and RAM to
    handle it. My laptop is a PIII 750MHz with 512 megabytes of RAM and it runs
    XP just fine - for basic office/Internet use. When I want to edit graphics,
    I go to the desktop - much better suited for heavy manipulation of files ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2005
  15. comajorr

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:22:30 GMT, "Sly" <> wrote:
    >
    >>win 98

    > 3.11 for Workgroups.

    I still have that running on a couple boxes at work <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2005
  16. comajorr

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:57:19 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >I still have that running on a couple boxes at work <g>

    I do too - on a virtual machine. :)

    Evan Platt, Jun 21, 2005
  17. comajorr

    Plato Guest

    comajorr wrote:

    > I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set up
    > for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    Make sure it has at least 512 ram and put XP w/SP2 on it. Upgrade CD is
    $89 which you can use to put XP on fresh assuming you have a qualifying
    previous OS CD you stick in when XP asks for it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 22, 2005
  18. comajorr

    DC Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:22:30 GMT, "Sly" <> wrote:

    >>win 98

    > 3.11 for Workgroups.

    ....with Microsoft Bob, natch. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    An effective way to deal with predators is to
    taste terrible.

    DC, Jun 23, 2005
  19. comajorr

    DC Guest

    comajorr wrote:
    > I have an old Duron 1.3 processor computer my brother wants to set up
    > for his son. What OS would you put on it Win2000 or XP?

    How old is the kid? What will he need it for?

    DC, Jun 23, 2005