Which one of these?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by QUAKEnSHAKE, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. QUAKEnSHAKE

    QUAKEnSHAKE Guest

    QUAKEnSHAKE, Jan 31, 2007

  2. QUAKEnSHAKE

    dmgy Guest

    On 1ÔÂ31ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç11ʱ51·Ö, (QUAKEnSHAKE) wrote:
    > Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
    > Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks
    >
    > Photo Explosion V3 for $20http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
    > OR
    > Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419
    >
    > I own just a Canon SD800IS
    > Thank You
    > Ray

    okok

    dmgy, Jan 31, 2007

  3. QUAKEnSHAKE

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:51:02 -0600, QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:

    > Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
    > Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks
    >
    > Photo Explosion V3 for $20
    > http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
    > OR
    > Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419
    >
    > I own just a Canon SD800IS
    > Thank You
    > Ray

    How about GIMP for free? Seems to me it would be worth trying before you
    blow your hard earned cash.

    ray, Jan 31, 2007
  4. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Doug Robbins Guest

    Doug Robbins, Jan 31, 2007
  5. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    QUAKEnSHAKE <> wrote:

    > Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
    > Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks
    >
    > Photo Explosion V3 for $20
    > http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
    > OR
    > Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419
    >
    > I own just a Canon SD800IS
    > Thank You
    > Ray

    Neither of those could be considered even a medium range, let alone a
    full-range, photo editor. They're more geared towards making greeting
    cards, posters, calendars, etc. Whatever "editing" tools they do
    posess are severely limited, and geared towards making those sorts of
    projects, rather than actual editing.

    Don't blow even that small amount of cash on them, expecting them to do
    full fledged photo editing. If their features are what you need, fine,
    but if not if you are looking for serious editing.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 31, 2007
  6. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Matt Ion Guest

    Ken Lucke wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > QUAKEnSHAKE <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
    >>Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks
    >>
    >>Photo Explosion V3 for $20
    >>http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
    >>OR
    >>Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
    >>http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419
    >>
    >>I own just a Canon SD800IS
    >>Thank You
    >>Ray
    >>

    > Neither of those could be considered even a medium range, let alone a
    > full-range, photo editor. They're more geared towards making greeting
    > cards, posters, calendars, etc. Whatever "editing" tools they do
    > posess are severely limited, and geared towards making those sorts of
    > projects, rather than actual editing.
    >
    > Don't blow even that small amount of cash on them, expecting them to do
    > full fledged photo editing. If their features are what you need, fine,
    > but if not if you are looking for serious editing.

    Then again, not everyone needs a "full-range" photo editor...

    Take a look at http://picasa.google.com - it's easy, fast, has a good compliment
    of basic editing features, and most importantly, it's FREE.

    Matt Ion, Jan 31, 2007
  7. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <agXvh.831792$5R2.721877@pd7urf3no>, Matt Ion
    <> wrote:

    > Ken Lucke wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > QUAKEnSHAKE <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
    > >>Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks
    > >>
    > >>Photo Explosion V3 for $20
    > >>http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
    > >>OR
    > >>Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
    > >>http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419
    > >>
    > >>I own just a Canon SD800IS
    > >>Thank You
    > >>Ray
    > >>

    > > Neither of those could be considered even a medium range, let alone a
    > > full-range, photo editor. They're more geared towards making greeting
    > > cards, posters, calendars, etc. Whatever "editing" tools they do
    > > posess are severely limited, and geared towards making those sorts of
    > > projects, rather than actual editing.
    > >
    > > Don't blow even that small amount of cash on them, expecting them to do
    > > full fledged photo editing. If their features are what you need, fine,
    > > but if not if you are looking for serious editing.

    > Then again, not everyone needs a "full-range" photo editor...

    Which, I believe, is the gist of my last paragraph - but the "range" of
    editing tools in most of these "print shop-type" programs is very sadly
    lacking, and wouldn't come up to most people's standards of "minimal".

    > Take a look at http://picasa.google.com - it's easy, fast, has a good compliment
    > of basic editing features, and most importantly, it's FREE.

    I've never used it (I use PS myself), but I've generally heard some
    good things about it, and so might recommmend it far more readily than
    either of the two programs the OP had listed.

    As the OP is a user of webtv, there's no way of telling which platform
    s/he's on (why anyone would use a toy like webtv for newsgroups when
    they have an actual computer is beyond my ken anyway) but the
    suggestion [by another poster] of Gimp if on Windows is probably a good
    one... for one thing, it's free, IIRC. If on a Mac, there are also a
    number of free or low-cost actual editing programs out there - all one
    has to do is search VersionTracker for either platform.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 31, 2007
  8. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Mike Russell Guest

    "QUAKEnSHAKE" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Looking at getting a photo editor.

    In addition to Picasa, take a look at www.Irafanview.com - it's a free
    editor with lots of features. The gimp is another free program. Both of
    these have a lot of elbow room to grow into before you spend any more money.

    Elements is a good chunk of Photoshop's functionality at about 80 dollars.
    Picture Window Pro is another full featured editor at about that price.
    Here's a discussion of PWP by Norman Koren:
    http://www.normankoren.com/PWP_intro.html
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Jan 31, 2007
  9. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Mark B. Guest

    "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message
    >I see no reason not to use Photoshop.

    ....other than the fact that it costs nearly $600 and is overkill for the
    casual P&S user...

    Mark B., Jan 31, 2007
  10. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Bob Willard Guest

    QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
    > Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
    > Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks
    >
    > Photo Explosion V3 for $20
    > http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
    > OR
    > Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419
    >
    > I own just a Canon SD800IS
    > Thank You
    > Ray

    I have Photoshop LE and PaintShopPro. Photoshop, even the LE version, has
    a few more features than PSP, but I use PSP 99% of the time for editing
    stills. PSP feels like other Windows apps, while Photoshop feels like it
    was written for Unix and minimally converted to Windows. Also, PSP starts up
    *much* faster than Photoshop on my 3GHz 1GB dual-HD PC, in spite of 1-2 hours
    spent tuning Photoshop.

    I think that if I was editing video, or editing stills 5-10 hours per day, I'd
    probably go with Photoshop. But for my personal, 5-10 hours per month usage,
    I vote for PSP.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Jan 31, 2007
  11. QUAKEnSHAKE

    John D. Guest

    On Tuesday, January30, 2007, wrote:

    >Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any
    > users here of one of these. Any features
    > one has that would make it a better
    > choice? Thanks

    I second Photoshop Elements, very capable software with plenty of third
    party help in the form of books and on-line user groups.

    And to Ken Lucke who is mystified as to why someone with a computer
    would use a Webtv terminal to access Usenet, can't speak for the OP, but
    I use it because it works just fine (for 10 years now) for casual
    newsgroup access, and it's free on the plan that I have, don't have to
    pay anything extra for Usenet access.

    John

    Visit my macro and close-up photography album at:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jpdenk60477/MacroAndCloseupPhotos

    John D., Jan 31, 2007
  12. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Adam Helberg Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message

    > "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message
    >>I see no reason not to use Photoshop.
    >>

    > ...other than the fact that it costs nearly $600 and is overkill for the casual P&S
    > user...

    You can buy PhotoShop Elements 5 for $54, that's what I ordered.

    Adam

    Adam Helberg, Jan 31, 2007
  13. QUAKEnSHAKE

    SimonLW Guest

    "Bob Willard" <> wrote in message
    > QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
    >> Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
    >> Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks
    >>
    >> Photo Explosion V3 for $20
    >> http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
    >> OR
    >> Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
    >> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419
    >>
    >> I own just a Canon SD800IS
    >> Thank You Ray
    >>

    > I have Photoshop LE and PaintShopPro. Photoshop, even the LE version, has
    > a few more features than PSP, but I use PSP 99% of the time for editing
    > stills. PSP feels like other Windows apps, while Photoshop feels like it
    > was written for Unix and minimally converted to Windows. Also, PSP starts
    > up
    > *much* faster than Photoshop on my 3GHz 1GB dual-HD PC, in spite of 1-2
    > hours
    > spent tuning Photoshop.
    >
    > I think that if I was editing video, or editing stills 5-10 hours per day,
    > I'd
    > probably go with Photoshop. But for my personal, 5-10 hours per month
    > usage,
    > I vote for PSP.
    > --
    > Cheers, Bob

    I give a vote for Paintshop Pro. I downloaded the PSP XI trial and bought it
    a few days later. I upgraded from PSP 7 for $54. I have not used other
    programs and can't compare, but this software seems to offer a lot for the
    $$, such as RAW read capable, Purple and chromatic fringe removal, lens
    distortion correction and a digital camera noise reduction among a tons of
    other features. I like the tunable smart photo fix.

    If you see it in the store at $100, get it online from Corel's website for
    $79 or $54 if upgrading.
    -S

    SimonLW, Jan 31, 2007
  14. QUAKEnSHAKE

    QUAKEnSHAKE Guest

    From just a quick look up of Photoshop Elements 5.0 & Paint Shop Pro Xl
    those seem to be what Im looking for instead of my previous askings. In
    some local ads they both are $70 right now
    Is one of these any more user friendly than the other or just personal
    preference?
    Which one would work better with my computer--1400mhz,512ram 80g hd.
    Thanks all for pointing me in a better direction.

    QUAKEnSHAKE, Jan 31, 2007
  15. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    QUAKEnSHAKE <> wrote:

    > From just a quick look up of Photoshop Elements 5.0 & Paint Shop Pro Xl
    > those seem to be what Im looking for instead of my previous askings. In
    > some local ads they both are $70 right now
    > Is one of these any more user friendly than the other or just personal
    > preference?
    > Which one would work better with my computer--1400mhz,512ram 80g hd.
    > Thanks all for pointing me in a better direction.

    If you have no future need for upgrading your program, go with either.
    If you think you might need the possibility of more power and tools at
    a later date and time, go with PSE, as you will already be partway on
    the learning curve that you would need to move up to Photoshop. No
    sense in wasting learning by starting from scratch :^)

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 31, 2007
  16. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Just D Guest

    "Adam Helberg" <> wrote in message
    > You can buy PhotoShop Elements 5 for $54, that's what I ordered.

    Please post your emotions here a little bit later after you get it, ok?

    Thanks,
    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 1, 2007
  17. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Adam Helberg wrote:
    > "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    >> "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message
    >>> I see no reason not to use Photoshop.
    >>>

    >> ...other than the fact that it costs nearly $600 and is overkill for the casual P&S
    >> user...

    > You can buy PhotoShop Elements 5 for $54, that's what I ordered.
    >
    > Adam

    A good option for most users. About 90% of the power of PS for 10% of
    the price!

    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2007
  18. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Just D Guest

    Btw,

    I went to Adobe.com for my personal curiosity and found that a new version
    is $100 and upgrade from any previous one is $80. How is possible to get
    this version 5 for $54? I need that for my kids and I'm just wondering where
    is the trick with $54?

    Just D.

    "Ron Hunter" <>

    Just D, Feb 1, 2007
  19. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Just D wrote:
    > Btw,
    >
    > I went to Adobe.com for my personal curiosity and found that a new version
    > is $100 and upgrade from any previous one is $80. How is possible to get
    > this version 5 for $54? I need that for my kids and I'm just wondering where
    > is the trick with $54?
    >
    > Just D.
    >

    > "Ron Hunter" <>
    >> Adam Helberg wrote:
    >>> You can buy PhotoShop Elements 5 for $54, that's what I ordered.

    >> A good option for most users. About 90% of the power of PS for 10% of the
    >> price!

    Discount dealers. Try Sam's Club, or Wal-Mart.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 2, 2007
  20. QUAKEnSHAKE

    Just D Guest

    Thanks Ron!