which OEM dvd writer to get?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Yibbels, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Yibbels

    Yibbels Guest

    Hi all,

    I plan to buy an OEM DVD DL writer and put it in a 5.25"
    enclosure.

    I have noticed that there can be large differences
    in the reliabilities of different DVD writers.

    For instance looking at reviews of some external USB
    Memorex drives, one of them had a Lite-On OEM drive
    inside, and was deemed unreliable according to reviewers
    at videohelp.com. Two others had NEC OEM drives and
    seemed to be OK.

    Looking at the Lacie external drives, most use NEC
    and people like them. A few use Matsushita and those
    seem to work for people. A few use Pioneer and those
    are well reviewed also.

    Sony drives with Sony OEM drives inside don't review
    well. Sony containing Ricoh seems to have problems.

    I guess my question (finally) is, is there anywhere
    a table that summarizes all of this? Surely some
    clever web geek has come up with some cgi script
    to handle such a thing?

    I just plan to buy an enclosure and the drive
    separately via newegg.com or somesuch. There is a
    Memorex product that is on sale, but I can't find out
    whose drive it contains, so it seems risky to buy it.

    Thanks for any assistance!

    Yibbels, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Yibbels

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I plan to buy an OEM DVD DL writer and put it in a 5.25"
    > enclosure.
    >
    > I have noticed that there can be large differences
    > in the reliabilities of different DVD writers.
    >
    > For instance looking at reviews of some external USB
    > Memorex drives, one of them had a Lite-On OEM drive
    > inside, and was deemed unreliable according to reviewers
    > at videohelp.com. Two others had NEC OEM drives and
    > seemed to be OK.
    >
    > Looking at the Lacie external drives, most use NEC
    > and people like them. A few use Matsushita and those
    > seem to work for people. A few use Pioneer and those
    > are well reviewed also.
    >
    > Sony drives with Sony OEM drives inside don't review
    > well. Sony containing Ricoh seems to have problems.
    >
    > I guess my question (finally) is, is there anywhere
    > a table that summarizes all of this? Surely some
    > clever web geek has come up with some cgi script
    > to handle such a thing?
    >
    > I just plan to buy an enclosure and the drive
    > separately via newegg.com or somesuch. There is a
    > Memorex product that is on sale, but I can't find out
    > whose drive it contains, so it seems risky to buy it.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance!

    NEC 3520.

    Cheap. Great drive.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com