    Any insight, clarifications or work arounds to this issue would be
    appreciated. I have a few thousand slides to scan and would like to
    be able to work with them in ACDSee for sorting and cataloging.

    eddie rukidding, Feb 18, 2007

  2. eddie rukidding

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 02:45:28 +0000, eddie rukidding wrote:

    > This topic has probably been addressed here but I missed it if it was
    > so here goes...
    >
    > Why is it that the NEF files I get from my Coolscan V film scanner are
    > different from the ones I get from my Nikon digital SLRs?
    >
    > The film scanner files are not recongized in ACDSee products and
    > Photoshop gives me a message that "This is not a RAW image taken by a
    > camera" and "The file will be opened according to changes with
    > applications" and asks me if I want to proceed. Do I? I'm not sure
    > what happens if I do!

    So, have you? I doubt it will blow up the house.

    ray, Feb 18, 2007

  3. eddie rukidding

    Mike Russell Guest

    "eddie rukidding" <> wrote in message
    > This topic has probably been addressed here but I missed it if it was
    > so here goes...
    >
    > Why is it that the NEF files I get from my Coolscan V film scanner are
    > different from the ones I get from my Nikon digital SLRs?

    Although Nikon has used the .NEF file extension for its scanner files, they
    are internally different from the raw files produced by a camera. For
    example, the pixel data from a camera's .NEF file is arranged in a
    red/green/blue mosaic pattern that corresponds to the sensor of the camera,
    while the scanner file contains complete RGB information for each pixel.
    The .NEF files from your scanner are meaningful for Nikon software, but not
    for programs that expect raw files from a camera.

    > The film scanner files are not recongized in ACDSee products and
    > Photoshop gives me a message that "This is not a RAW image taken by a
    > camera" and "The file will be opened according to changes with
    > applications" and asks me if I want to proceed. Do I? I'm not sure
    > what happens if I do!

    The file will fail to load because it does not contain raw camera data.

    > Any insight, clarifications or work arounds to this issue would be
    > appreciated. I have a few thousand slides to scan and would like to
    > be able to work with them in ACDSee for sorting and cataloging.

    Save your scanned images as TIFF or JPEG images, and you can use them in
    ACDSee. .NEF files from a scanner are horses of a different color
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Feb 18, 2007