    I know the ipod works if I buy a Belkin attachment, anyome know about the
    other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a reference site
    that has this stuff.
    tolgan, Feb 13, 2005

  2. tolgan

    Eric Gill Guest

    "tolgan" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I want to buy an mp3 player, 20 Mb or up, that I can connect my
    > olympus digital to (i.e. download photos direct to it without going
    > through a PC.)

    That's not the best idea, really. When the camera is connected to the
    device, you cannot shoot. What you will probably prefer is something with a
    card reader for whatever media you body uses, so you can swap and keep
    shooting.

    > I know the ipod works if I buy a Belkin attachment,

    Well, it works. Can't say too much else about it.

    > anyome know about
    > the other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a
    > reference site that has this stuff.

    Depends - there is a godawful lot of variety out there, from the ultra-high
    end Epson P-2000 down:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

    Do you want soemthing like this or something ultra-portable that will just
    empty your cards and play music?
    Eric Gill, Feb 13, 2005

  3. tolgan

    tolgan Guest

    > That's not the best idea, really. When the camera is connected to the
    > device, you cannot shoot. What you will probably prefer is something with
    > card reader for whatever media you body uses, so you can swap and keep
    > shooting.

    Hm, I wasn't expecting to want to shoot with the hard disk device attached.
    Just maybe download images from the camera memory to the hard disk at the
    end of the day and clear them out of the camera memory to free up space.
    Having said which, a card reader that I can plug into the disk device would
    be fine too. (If it takes XD which my olympus uses)
    Well, it works. Can't say too much else about it.

    >> anyome know about
    >> the other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a
    >> reference site that has this stuff.

    > Depends - there is a godawful lot of variety out there, from the
    > ultra-high
    > end Epson P-2000 down:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/
    >
    > Do you want soemthing like this or something ultra-portable that will just
    > empty your cards and play music?

    More the latter I think. I'm primarily buying it as a music player, but the
    chance to use it as an alternative to buying more camera memory is too good
    to miss!
    tolgan, Feb 13, 2005
  4. tolgan

    Gavin Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:56:47 -0000, "tolgan"
    <> wrote:

    >I want to buy an mp3 player, 20 Mb or up, that I can connect my olympus
    >digital to (i.e. download photos direct to it without going through a PC.)
    >
    >I know the ipod works if I buy a Belkin attachment, anyome know about the
    >other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a reference site
    >that has this stuff.

    if it takes compact flash, try looking at the Archos Gmini 220. that
    has a built in CF socket you can move images from the card to the
    player, (but not back to the card..)

    If it takes anything else you can get a CF to the usual four main card
    types but it's more to carry.
    Gavin, Feb 13, 2005
  5. tolgan

    B. Peg Guest

    Check out the Archo's multimedia player/recorder. Comes with either a 20 or
    80 gig drive as well as a "built-in" (whoo-hoo!) Compact Flash port at one
    end. They sell an adapter for the CF port that will take just about any
    card as well to load into the unit. I have the AV420 and absolutely love
    it. I load DVD (compressed DivX - note: this process takes some time to
    learn!) movies, Mp3 songs with associated cover art, and even use it as a
    portable input for a video cam instead of tape/mini-disk. You can even
    record off you TV or DVD player. Smaller unit (i.e. the AV400/420) has a
    removable battery so you don't have to worry about recharging downtime or
    sending it off to the factory when it pukes in a year (aka iPod). I picked
    up a spare at NewEgg.com for around $30.

    The unit has a very fast boot time, maybe 4-8 seconds compared to longer
    times in the other brands. Drive is so quiet I cannot hear it. I also use
    it on a motorcycle and so far it hasn't skipped on a Mp3 song and if it does
    it'll probably wish it hadn't (violent temper tantrum aside :eek:/ ).

    If you want to load just SD card data into it, Minolta/Konica makes a
    adapter SD to CF card that will work and is smaller than the Archo's adapter
    but it is also twice the price (~$80).

    Just be prepared to pay for it. The 20 gig unit is around $550 (CompUSA)
    and the 80 gig is around $800. I also got some custom-molded ear-canal
    phones from Etymotics, Sensaphonics, and Westone and the unit sounds far
    better than other players I've listened to through them. Those phones
    aren't tolerant on bad music, distortion, white-noise, or rips.

    Buy the best and cry only once. I still need to learn that lesson from all
    the crap I've bought over the years.

    Not a shill. Just a very happy Archo's owner.

    B~
    B. Peg, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Get the Archos AV420. $442 on Amazon, after rebate (or AV480 for $650,
    after rebate). These are AV.

    For audio only, look at the Archos Gmini 220 for $215, after rebate.

    However, there have been a lot of complaints about Archos products.

    Supposedly, the iRiver ihp-120 is much better, but you'd need a Macally
    Syncbox and maybe a card reader, to do the transfer from the memory card
    (but many camera can connect directly to the Syncbox).

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 13, 2005